Default .22LR for less than $0.04/round

I've been keeping an eye out for .22LR for less than $0.04/round and haven't spotted any.I'm hoping to buy 5000 to 10000 rounds and just not have to worry about .22 for a while.

I'm just looking for plinking grade ammo that isn't Remington. My gun seems to like Federal.

The big box stores all seem to have it for $0.04/round and so do the big internet vendors.I was hoping at 5k and 10k quantities I'd be able to save a few bucks, but I guess thats about as cheap as .22 can be,

Any ideas or leads for me?
    When buying ammo double check your math, twice. Fortunately I only paid retail, but I thought I was getting a deeper discount. Stupid mistake, learn from it.

I would go to Walmart as they come close to .04/ round for the Federal. If you order it, you will have to pay shipping which will cut into your savings.

I bought a few boxes of Federal "Lightning" .22 LR ammo a couple weeks ago at Walmart; $1.47 for a box of 50 (less than 3 cents per round). They would only sell me 6 boxes though. I shot some through my 100 year old Remington model 12. It shot OK but I don't think it's the best ammo. There was a noticeable difference in sound from shot to shot. I would be curious to try some with a chronograph.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

And comes with decent stay-dry box - bought a load last week - will buy more to get me through the summer as wally world is very unreliable where I go in NJ and NY. In the long run, I will save gasoline!!!
    Seen on U.S. Forces bumper sticker:
    Its Gods job to judge the terrorists, its our mission to arrange the meeting.

LewR - You sir, are the man. Do they say how many rounds that is exactly or is it just bulk so its X pounds of ammo which is approximately 2100 rounds?
    When buying ammo double check your math, twice. Fortunately I only paid retail, but I thought I was getting a deeper discount. Stupid mistake, learn from it.

Appears to be four 525 round bulk packs. At 90 smackers, that's $22.50 each. wallyworld sells the 550 packs (25 rounds more) for $18.97 + tax. Four of those is $76, so you'd be paying ~$14 + 100 rounds for the dry box if shipping vs. sales tax were a wash.

SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

Yea. Whoever writes ad copy for Cabela's needs to be retrained. I'm willing to confess to skimming it, but the number of units in a bulk purchase should be spelled out.

It appears that shipping is capped at $19.95 so if you want a LOT it can pay off. It still looks like Wal-Mart wins though.

Yep now that bulk 550 Federals are back at Wally World thats what I buy- at .03 cent per that is as cheap as they come now! Alot better then the $40 I paid 6 months ago for just plain lead Winchester 500 pack! I always keep atleast 1000 rounds of 22 LR on hand! The ultimate SHFT round!
    One shot one kill!!

Don't mean to rain on the parade.

However.

Bulk Fed. from Wal Mart and Remington bulk are now not as well made as a few years ago.

We did extensive tests on semi auto .22 with old and new of both types.

Reason. I was getting a lot of complaints that the .22s semi autos were having problems with the FEd and Remington bulk ammo.

I complete rebuilt several of the Marling rifles to make sure it was not a mechanical problem.

New everything that made them function.

I did side by side tests with old and new ammo.

It APPEARS that the quality has declinded dramatically recently in bulk pack ammo.

Both are using a different powder than in the past. This powder has a tendency to foul the action. I would guess its cheaper powder.

Fail to feed problems where numerous in all of the .22s I tested with the recently bought Fed. and Remington bulk ammo.

Both are OK for guns that are not semi auto.

Guns used for tests. Marlin 60 semi, Marlin Glenfield (old type) 60 two rifles, 10/22s two rifles. VZ bolt, Marlin Bolt, P-22 Walther, .22 Beretta. GSG-5 Several others also.

It was across the board an ammo problem, all from recently purchased bulk packs.

The older bulk pack ammo functioned flawlessly and even looked better. Shiny and better made.

To be sure. I used CCI mini mags and stingers for comparison.

NO PROBLEMS in any gun with CCI. Interchanged ammo and problems immediatly again. So it is the ammo.

Bulk pack Fed. used to be the best ammo for the money and functioned perfect in semi auto rifles for as far back as I can remember.

SOMETHING has changed in the mfgring. process. Suspect they are using a cheaper powder.
    Not suprising, with all the other cut backs in everything.

I'm suprised that others haven't posted similar problems with their semi auto .22s. Using bulk pack Fed. and Remington.

RH7777 - Bit off topic, but thats great information. Thanks!

So the question still stands then, as long as its not total garbage, where can one get 10,000 rounds of .22LR for less than $400??

As for the cheapest yellow/green box Remington (stored dry and <two years old), I won't use again even if they give it away. My old Savage has very frequent blow-backs with it.
    Thank goodness for shooting glasses.
    I might give away my two bricks in Memphis just to be rid of it. Prefer to trade for 2/3 quantity of anything else.

After using 900 rds. of very old "cheap, Commie" 7.62x54R in my MNs, it was simple to conclude that such cheap "Commie-made" stuff is much better than these batches of "all-American" ammo, as there was only one gas blow-back from this old 50's Bulgarian ammo, and it was mild.

Quote Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
    ...So the question still stands then, as long as its not total garbage, where can one get 10,000 rounds of .22LR for less than $400??
    I would go with the Wally World 550 packs. I haven't found a better price anywhere...
    "The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament..."

I'm starting, to suspect that I, don't know how to use commas.

RH7777
    I'd have to disagree with you! My old 22 just loves the Fed 36 gr bulk from wally world, I can make head shots easyly on Wissel pigs(smaller cousin of Pairre dogs) at 100 yards no problem! Do 125-150 yards shoots regularly! I fact I think they have made a change to the bullet design here recently and they seem more accurate then before!
    One shot one kill!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnut45/454 View Post
    RH7777
    I'd have to disagree with you! My old 22 just loves the Fed 36 gr bulk from wally world, I can make head shots easyly on Wissel pigs(smaller cousin of Pairre dogs) at 100 yards no problem! Do 125-150 yards shoots regularly! I fact I think they have made a change to the bullet design here recently and they seem more accurate then before!

Our problems are with function, not accuracy.

I have used Fed. for years. It used to by my favorite also.

We are having problems with it in semi autos.

If it is just certain batches, then that is good news.

I know that just comparing the looks of the old and new, there is a difference.

The older boxes look bright and shiny, the newer stuff look crapy in comparison.

Maybe some more feedback is needed, from others experiences.

I would like nothing better than to find out what we have been experiencing with bulk packs is an anomily.

Sorry, for the OT. I can start a new thread, I would like to hear what others have experienced with semi autos and Fed. and Remington bulk packs.

I use the Fed - 550 bulk from WW in my bolts and semi's - the club uses at least 10 different .22 rifles with no problems. WW 550 packs ARE the cheapest - but they are out of stock more then they are in. I do not have hours to drive all over upstate NY to save a few cents (because no local WW in NJ carries ammo anymore) - so for me, the Cabela's deal (4 @ 525 packs and a plastic box) gives me more shooting time - how much is that worth per hour?

JMHO
    Seen on U.S. Forces bumper sticker:
    Its Gods job to judge the terrorists, its our mission to arrange the meeting.

I use the Fed 550's by the 1000s with no issues in 10/22 Rugers. My issues have only been with non-ruger plastic lipped magazines feeding smoothly.

What is you folks opinion of the Remington Golden Bullets that Wally World sell in bulk. I liked the shape of the bullet and figured it would feed well in semi-autos??

Just a might curious. It seems that supply is getting more in line with demand as I have seen "some" .22 at the local Walmart but it really sells fast.

Draybo : )
    If I really knew how much I thought I knew...I'd be a dadburn GENIUS!

Hi,here's a search engine for you, www.ammoengine.com. Regards, mike

Quote Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
    So the question still stands then, as long as its not total garbage, where can one get 10,000 rounds of .22LR for less than $400??
    The CMP sells 5000 rd cases for $230 plus shipping. That's about $.05/rd.

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catal...4=&note5=&max=

Another ammo search engine:

http://gun-deals.com/ammo