Default Webley "MARK I" Air Pistol

I would like to find out more information on the MARK I Air Pistol, it has a marking on the front of "22g" but I could not find a serial number.

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge the Mk I always had a serial number above the left hand grip.

Peter

The only markings on the left side of the gun are THE WEBLEY "MARK I" & MADE IN ENGLAND on the right side WEBLEY & SCOTT LTD BIRMINGHAM 4
    on the front 22g but no serial number.

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry Mike, I was assuming that you had one of the straight grip Mark I pistols made prior to 1935. You clearly have a new model slant grip made some time between the end of World War II and 1958 (when the post code 4 was dropped). Post war air pistols did not have a serial number, only a manufacturing batch number. Are you sure that it is 22g? Normally the batch number is just that, a number. What calibre is it, 177 or 22?

Peter

Oddly enough, I have a
    Webley Junior .177 air pistol given to me years ago
    Webley & Scott Ltd. Birmingham 4
    Serial number 297

No "plastic" in this one! well, maybe the grips.

I have a Webley senior in .177, great fun for plinking up to 10m with the weight of a real handgun. I'm alway amazed how that little thin linkage mechanism stands the strain of arming the piston, that spring in there is devilishly strong!
    My own virtual museum, growing one entry at a time. Keep checking back!
    http://militarygunsofeurope.eu/

i believe that it's 22 calibre

Quote Originally Posted by mgrogis View Post
    i believe that it's 22 calibre
    Does the barrel have any knurling at the breech end? Or is the outside of the barrel smooth?
    If smooth, the pistol is pre-war production. If knurled, it is post-war.
    The Mk1 and the Senior were in production at the same time. Both pistols have straight and slant grip variants.
    The difference between an American and an Englishman. One thinks 100 miles is a long way, the other that 100 years is a long time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0009.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	287.5 KB 
ID:	312011

mgrogis, I have a Mark I (in .22) just like the one in the picture you posted. On the front of the air reservoir of my Mark I is stamped "646." I have no idea what this means. I have always assumed in was the batch number of the part.

Yes Gab, the bodies were made in batches and numbered as such. It is of course the cylinder and not the reservoir, being an air pistol and not a pneumatic one!

Peter

The difference between an American and an Englishman. One thinks 100 miles is a long way, the other that 100 years is a long time.

Hiller is the standard reference for British air pistols http://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-Pistols-...8716344&sr=1-2

Default American clueless about this Webley Junior .177 prewar air pistol inherited

Could someone educate me about the webley junior .177 pre war air gun I inherited from my grandfather. I am an American in the US where nobody seems to know anything about pre war Webley air guns. I saw a few for sale/sold on the internet in the US. I then searched for hours in the US and absolutely could not find one just like mine. My question is what year(s) was mine made? It has batch number 477 and serial number J26477. It is obviously a 2nd series, prewar Webley junior air pistol with the steel, straight grip - I finally learned some about Webley Pre-war Juniors by perusing forums and such in the UK. From the data I provided, I wanted to know if anyone can nail down the year(s) this was made? I also wish to know if anyone thinks this pistol could possibly fetch more in the U.S. market? Or should I just use British prices of recent to establish an asking price? Bear in mind, this air gun is used and requires some restoration as a result of some rusting and pitting. The shooting power is low due to the obviously diminished compression and probably needs the a seal or O-ring replaced. Any comments, information about this Junior would be highly appreciated! ER LEWIS
    Last edited by erlewisphd; 09-10-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: clarification and grammatical errors

This is the prewar, all steel webley junior .177 I inherited from my grand father here in the USA that I already posted about on this thread.. Now that people can actually see what it is, I want to know if anyone can give me the closest approximation to the year it was made within the time span of webley air pistol production prior to WWII. Can anyone tell me the model? And I am really excited in hopes that people can give me specific and more detailed informtaion about this Junior so I can learn as much as possible about it. Sadly, I need to sell it because I am so tight. I want to get as much as I can for it in the USA market and need help pricing it. Here in the US after looking on the internet for hours, I have found prewar webley airguns for sale from $300 to $3000.00 for each out of 9 being sold. The one's costing $3000.00 were in 90% condition. I am very confused about the prices in the US with that wacky range of prices I found. What do I do? These prewar webley air pistols are very scarce here in the US . There is not a single prewar webley air pistol to be found in the entire, huge US Ebay market. I would be very grateful for any responses to my post here. I am sorry that I go on and on its a flaw of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG3730.JPG   IMG_3729.JPG   IMG_3723.JPG  

I would imagine the prices are all over the place because people don't know what to charge. I imagine part of the problem is that there is not a vast market for them either. Just because there is a high price asked on Ebay--it does not mean that there are people out there that agree.

It seems I have to find buyers for this airgun and start with people who are very interested in it, especially because they have never seen one before. There's this gun collector I know of who also collects old air pistols and he saw my airgun in a picture and was totally blown away and extremely excited by the fact that he had never seen or heard of Webley air pistols. I asked someone today to have him call me if he wants to make me an offer before I really get out there and try to sell it. It seems in the UK it is pretty consistently clear how much you can sell these for, and I noticed that in the UK prewar Webley air pistols are pretty in expensive. ll the ones I have been able to find on the internet here are always selling quite a bit higher.

Just for interest here is another Mk1 but in .177, no serial number unless under the grips, sells for about $200 over here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Webleymk1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	400.9 KB 
ID:	585897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WebleyMk1B.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	398.2 KB 
ID:	585898