AVT-40 question

Thread: AVT-40 question

Default AVT-40 question

Can anyone tell me the firing rate of the Soviet AVT-40? Would need to know both the semi auto and fully auto firing rates. I have the SVT-40 and know all it's info, really curious to know about the AVT-40. Figure this is the best place to find out.

Thx all.

Have not found much

To supplement the Red Army's shortage of machine guns, an SVT version capable of automatic fire was produced in 1943, and was designated the AVT-40. It was externally similar to the SVT, but its modified safety also acted as a fire selector. A larger 15 or 20 round capacity magazine was reportedly designed for use with the AVT, but this is unconfirmed and there are no known examples. The AVT featured a slightly stouter stock; surplus AVT stocks were later used on refurbished SVTs. In service, the AVT proved to be a disappointment: automatic fire was largely uncontrollable, and the rifles often suffered breakages under the increased strain. The use of the AVT's automatic fire mode was subsequently prohibited, and production of the rifle was relatively brief.

Largely uncontrollable indeed......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmN5Q2qDOmE Anyone have a guess as to what the firing rate probably was

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Default AVT 40

With a little practice, one can gain a bit of control with one of these rifles. I have timed mine with a Pac at around 750 RPM. A handful to be sure, but not totally worthless in an age of bolt action rifles. Plus very fun to shoot! JH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clark 03.jpg