Scout Mounts, LER Scopes for M96

I can't find the threads that dealt with the pros and cons of various scout mounts and LER/pistol scopes for the M96. I am ready to buy but need help. I do not want to permanently alter the rifle in any way. I wear glasses and am drawing Social Security, so you can figure my eyes are not what they used to be.

On the house of karlina site thanks to dutchman they have pics etc of what you need.
    I would like someone to tell me the name and model of the scope and specs of the mounts as i too want to do this to one of mine.
    Cheers
    NED:D
    Shoot straight you bastards !!!!

http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/karlina.html
    The Tasco 3x28mm scope is no longer available. Its been a good scope for this application. The NcStar are ok. I have a 4x32 illuminated reticle. It needs to come back further so I'm using the Tasco for the time being.

The only good long eye relief mount is the S&K.
    http://www.scopemounts.com/instapics.html

Dutchman

I cannot find the Tasco 3x28 on eBay or any other site. Is there another scope that has the same qualities? A 3-or 4-power is just what I want. From what you say the NC is not as useful.

I'm afraid I'm not currently up on long eye relief scopes.

Dutchman

I put an S&K mount on this CG m/96. I use the 2-7x32 NcStar. It's working just fine for me so far. (sorry, only picture I have)

and I was able to do this consistently:

Just, if you do mount this S&K on your rifle, once it's zeroed in, loctite every screw!! Some of my screws came loose and that fixed it right up.

metzgeri

Just got on to Howard at S&K. A question to solidate what i allready think is right. Having a CG converted to M38 with t marked rear sight and narrow rear sight protector ears, I will need the Husqvarna mount? Did the Huskys have the narrower base?
    Cheers
    NED

If your asking which S&K mount (the CG or Husquvarna) you need, the issue is with which rear site base you have (CG or Husq.). Here's the two:

A CG Rear Sight Base:

A Husquvarna Rear Sight Base:

Distiquish between the two by the stepped base (on the CG) and extra "ears" on the rear end (on the Husquvarna).

metzgeri

Metzgeri, I found the NcStar website. The 2-7x32 scope has an eye relief of 8.7" to about 10.6". I have been trying to find out how long the eye relief must be. I was surprised to see the NcStar 4x32 has an eye relief of about 14"!!! That ought to be long enough for a gorilla with a pistol. Can you use the 7 power setting and still see the target OK?

Opps, just re-read Dutchman's post. He says the 4x32 NcStar has to come back further than the Tasco. I thought the NcStar had a really long eye relief. I think I have to learn more about eye relief.
    Last edited by tomlawone; 09-14-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomlawone View Post
    Metzgeri, I found the NcStar website. The 2-7x32 scope has an eye relief of 8.7" to about 10.6". I have been trying to find out how long the eye relief must be. I was surprised to see the NcStar 4x32 has an eye relief of about 14"!!! That ought to be long enough for a gorilla with a pistol. Can you use the 7 power setting and still see the target OK?
    Sure can. That target was "taken" with the scope set to 7 power. As with any low end scope (especially 32mm objective), you'll loose light with higher power. But, it's still easy enough to see the target.

I bought my here on the WTS board. However, CDNN and Cheaper than Dirt sell them....well, cheaper than dirt :D.

metzgeri

Metgeri and others, can't thank you enough. I think I am going for the variable power. It is more useful, and if the target is too dark it will tell me I am out too late or to come in out of the rain.

Thumbs up

Metgeri,
    Thanks mate, you put into pictures what I was trying to put in words.
    I have the CG with the T marked rear sight and the narrower bed.
    IYou have confirmed that I need a Husky mount.
    Many thanks
    NED