Default info needed on a model 1816 harper ferry musket

ive come across a harper ferry musket and got a couple questions mostly about finish and sling.is the metal suppest to have a brownish finish or the white metal and is the sling orignal or a reproduction.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m1917/s...7623883082713/
    SVT40tula-91/30izzy1929-91/30izzy1938-M38izzy-M44izzy-HRAGarand-SAGarand-Eddystone1917-Remington1903A3-Remington1903A3-SA1903-COLT SP1-24/47-DOU43K98-Gew88 1890-Polish Tantal-SR105-CETME

“The militia is certainly an object of primary importance, whether reviewed in reference to the national security, to the satisfaction of the community or to the preservation of order”
    -George Washington

For a multi-thousand dollar piece, those photos are too small to see anything of use. Many of these have been "reconverted" to flint following mid-1800s conversion to percussion because flint is worth coniderably more. While original finish was browned for much of production, the government changed the specification to bright and most in inventory were buffed. At a minimum, this one has been seriously cleaned and polished (NOT good for an antique weapon).

Words Conquer!

well then in that case it was buffed at the armory,but the being reconverted confuses me your saying that the gun was converted to purcussion then converted back to flintlock?
    SVT40tula-91/30izzy1929-91/30izzy1938-M38izzy-M44izzy-HRAGarand-SAGarand-Eddystone1917-Remington1903A3-Remington1903A3-SA1903-COLT SP1-24/47-DOU43K98-Gew88 1890-Polish Tantal-SR105-CETME

“The militia is certainly an object of primary importance, whether reviewed in reference to the national security, to the satisfaction of the community or to the preservation of order”
    -George Washington

I think my post is pretty clear. This gun has been cleaned and buffed recently. The rest is general information on 1816 muskets. The pictures suck too much to see anything other than "shiny". Is the sling original... the pictures don't have enough clarity to tell if it is a belt from sears and roebuck let alone an original vintage sling. My initial answer would be NO since the originals were buff. 1840s... maybe, if you get some closeups, someone that has one can probably help. My general rule is if you don't know what you are looking at, and can't get enough detail to determine if even what you DO know is correct, run, don't walk when something costs A LOT. Sorry I can't be anymore helpful; not enough to go on. Talking invisible details on speculation is a waste of time.

Words Conquer!

I agree with Brad, the photos are absolutely useless for identification purposes. It was either aggressively cleaned... OR, another explanation is that it is a defarbed Pedersoli. Can't tell with the proffered photos, some clear, close up photos (macro) would remove all doubt.

If it is a cleaned percussion conversion that was reconverted back to flint (actually pretty common), a borescope would show any restoration welds sealing the hole where the cone was. Folks can do a fairly good job hiding the reconversion welds on the exterior of the barrel, but it will always be detectable internally.

Edit: Here is an example of a photo that is clear enough to make a judgement:

Last edited by Deputy Dan; 05-08-2010 at 07:50 AM.