Thread: Hinged floorplate/triggerguard for 1903 Springfield?

Default Hinged floorplate/triggerguard for 1903 Springfield?

Uncle Mikes used to make an alloy one, but no more. Anyone know if there is one being made by anyone else?

Thanks,
    Ted

I don't have one available, but I believe you can use one from a standard length commercial Mauser 98. A likely candidate would be a Parker Hale, if you can't find one of the Uncle Mike's.

Cheers,
    Peconga in Boise, Idaho

Thanks, Peconga, I may have heard that before, a long time ago, like 30 yr or so.

Do you know if any modifications need to be done to Mauser ass'y to make it work?

Ted

After trying several combinations on my workbench, I have confirmed that an unmodified Mauser 98 triggerguard will mate successfully with a Springfield 1903 receiver (which is kind of a Redneck wedding, since the 1903 is actually a Mauser anyway). Depending on the parts you are using, the only issues may be:

1) wood inletting around the trigger guard may need minor modification;
    2) Springfield action screws have a slightly larger head than a Mauser, so may need turned down a bit to fit the triggerguard properly;
    3) the hole in the stock for the rear action screw may need drilled out slightly to allow the screw to align with the rear tang correctly.

I forgot to mention that hinged triggerguards from standard length military Mausers will also fit, including the Argentine Model 1909 and Portugese Model 1904 Vergueiro. The Spanish Model 1895 also had a hinged triggerguard, but is a shorter (intermediate) action and won't line up correctly with a Springfield 1903.

Years ago there were lots of new aftermarket parts available for sporterizing Springfield rifles, which had become a cottage industry from the 1930s through the late 1960s. However, those days are long gone and quality 1903 sporter parts have become very hard to find.

Cheers,
    Peconga in Boise, Idaho

Sunny Hill Enterprises is/has made a run of commercial hinged floorplate TG's for the 03 Springfield. I would guess they would be in the 400. range as that is the Mauser Tg price. They do make a nice product.

I have a trigger guard & floor plate but not sure if K98 or 1903 ???? can get pic if interested ???

Default pic of trigger guard

don't know if 1903 or k98 or ?????? 11 1/4" long. Just checked. It does not fit 1903 stock...............

Certainly not a Mauser or Springfield 1903 part. Possibly for an Arisaka (Japanese).

yes, it was a Jap 99