Default Detachable mag conversion for 98 Mauser rifle?

So this is a new related thread to the side-mounted scope (so to use stripper clips) question. Are there any reliable magazine conversions (5 or 10 rd.) for the 98 Mauser rifle? A friend bought a Gibbs conversion, but had poor performance with it.

Thanks!

NW Arkansas. Close to the Okie line, so I can get across ahead of the tax man from Little Rock...

If I was going to do this for a post-war 98, I'd go with the CETME magazine, which is out there for not much money right now. The MG15 mag for the 8x57 would be a good way to go if one is looking at that round.
    Pistol keeps me safe.
    Shotgun keeps me fed.
    Rifle keeps me free.

the only reliable conversions that i know of were made by parker hale and took m-14 mags.
    parker hale made at least two versions. one used two piece bottom metal and another used one piece bottom metal
    i have the back part for the two piece system and i'm going to have to make the front part for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
    If I was going to do this for a post-war 98, I'd go with the CETME magazine, which is out there for not much money right now. The MG15 mag for the 8x57 would be a good way to go if one is looking at that round.
    This idea intrigues me.

I have seen Numrich sell detatcable mags for 98 mausers...

some people have had bad luck with the numrich detachable mags falling out upon firing the rifle although i know a guy that uses one on a 22-250 & loves it

I'm trying to figure a way to use M 14 mags. The problem as I see it is, how to interface the mag lips with the feed rails of the Mauser receiver. The feed lipe won't let the mag sit high enough for the bolt to strip rounds. If one removes the rails from the recvr, there's no going back. Mess with the mag lips and it won't hold the rounds prior to insertion into the gun.

Any thoughts or experience out there?

Quote Originally Posted by oughtsix06 View Post
    I'm trying to figure a way to use M 14 mags. The problem as I see it is, how to interface the mag lips with the feed rails of the Mauser receiver. The feed lipe won't let the mag sit high enough for the bolt to strip rounds. If one removes the rails from the recvr, there's no going back. Mess with the mag lips and it won't hold the rounds prior to insertion into the gun.

Any thoughts or experience out there?
    Yes, the feed lips will need to be milled out to accept the top of the mag. Just enough to allow the rounds to strip out. You will likely have to make a spacer for the stock mag well so the .308 mag will fit tight w/o sliding forward. If you could find a blind magazine synthetic stock you could do a custom mag cut out.

Default mauser mag conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Soylent_Green View Post
    So this is a new related thread to the side-mounted scope (so to use stripper clips) question. Are there any reliable magazine conversions (5 or 10 rd.) for the 98 Mauser rifle? A friend bought a Gibbs conversion, but had poor performance with it.

Thanks!
    cdi precision make a mag conversion for the 98 it takes accuracy international mags http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/...3-box-mag.html
    if enough people show interest the will produce 98 mauser bottom metal for the 300mag which will run the 30-06 round which should be of interest to owners of norgeian 98 mausers
    chambered for 30-06

I have a Mark X Mauser in 375 H&H mag. It has a low mount scope and a mag well longer than the standard, set back under the bridge. But I have no trouble slipping the cartridges into the magazine and making sure they're set back for controlled feed pickup. Takes about 1 second per cartridge.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.