Gunboards Forums banner

Mowrey made in Texas..

13K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  coneten 
#1 ·
In a local shop and seems to be a quality black powder rifle. It has a brass frame and butt plate, heavy octagonal barrel with deep cut rifling. I have done little research and it seems the earlier Mowreys were better than the late ones..this would have a 1 in 60 twist. I am not sure of the caliber on this one. Any more info would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Stuffy, Went back to look at the muzzleloader. It is marked .50 Mowrey, Olney Texas. It has a SN#1702 on underside of butt plate. The bore is dirty but not rusted or pitted..deep cut rifling and a great looking crown. Worth $249?

#4 ·
Yes it is worth every penny of that. I had one of the Mowreys in 50 cal for a long time. They are nice looking guns and very high quality.

#10 ·
Thanks for posting those pics and providing some more info..I have obviously fallen into a nest of enablers and will have to post pics of the .50 cal. Mowrey tomorrow.

#11 · (Edited)
pics of Mowrey rifle

Took it to local gun smith and he remembered these Mowrey muzzle loaders. We dropped a light down the bore and it looks really good..just dirty. Just wiped the bore down..really great..now hot soapy H2O flush. The search for the right stuff to do this thing. I am not going to polish that brass ...it just looks better with some age showing..I guess this is a late 60's production. It will need a sight leaf.

#15 ·
Thanks. The wood actually has more figure but it has to be in a different light. The thing is awful heavy though and some Uncle Mikes swivels and a cheap sling should do the trick. Just kidding.

#18 ·
Back in the day you had your eye on an atlatl. Check out my new Danish return...I missed out on those a few years ago. I do like the Mowrey..there was a beautiful 12 gauge smooth bore on the trader a couple of weeks ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.