Thread: Marlin model 80 DL bolt disassembly?

Default Marlin model 80 DL bolt disassembly?

Hi All. I hope this is not OT. I would like to replace the firing pin in a Marlin Model 80 DL 22 cal bolt. I cannot figure out how to disassemble the bolt.

I've gotten as far as separating the two parts of the bolt but cannot figure out how to get to the firing pin. The top part looks like it should unscrew but I could not budge it. Any suggestions or links would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bolt end.jpg   bolt end back.jpg   bolt head.jpg   bolt head top.jpg  
    Last edited by foudufoot; 12-12-2007 at 06:23 PM.
    "Shoot straight you bastards! Don't make a mess of it!"

Lt. Harry "Breaker" Morant, February 27, 1902, Pretoria, South Africa.

I'm guessing that there is a retaining pin underneath the extractor. If you can pry off the extractor without damaging it, try that. HTH
    What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

Heck, I'm more of a woman than you are.
    J.Stein; October 5, 2010

Anything here of use?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marlin bolt parts.jpg  
    LSFlaghoist.gif

Thanks guys, but still no luck. There's nothing under the extractor and the bolt on the Marlin site is not the same....

Alright, I was going to bake some oatmeal bread and peanut butter cookies this morning, but this takes precedence. The following is from J.B. Wood's excellent series done for Gun digest books back in the early 1980s. This particular volume was Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part III: Rimfire Rifles. This covers Marlin Model 80 bolt disassembly - with pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marlin 80-1.jpg   Marlin 80-2.jpg   Marlin 80-3.jpg  
    LSFlaghoist.gif

The type I'm familiar with is the one pictured in jimlay's pics. The fireing pin is two pieces and there is (was) no retaining pin to keep in in the front bolt section. The assembley of the bolt itself held it into position. There were a couple of different styles of rear fireing pin sections, the one shown in the pic is the later one and has a slight angle cut to the bottom of it. It simply slides in and out of the bolt. In the bolt in question, the rear fireing pin section looks different in that it is full round and in the last pic almost appears as if retained with a bushing from the rear and 'lock-tited' into place (thin green line around a bushing). Perhaps a newer version to keep the fireing pin from being worked on by the owner and keep the liability lawyers happy?? Also a bit of battering at the rear edge may have rivited the assembly into place making it hard to remove. Just some thoughts. I've never seen the type pictured in the first post. I worked in the Marlin factory in the repair dept in the early 70's and Model 80's were common. But I admit I haven't had much to do with them in recent times and trying to remember back that far is tough some times!
    >
    How are those cookies coming along..?

HA! Thanks for asking! Made 5 dozen peanut butter cookies and a couple of loaves of oatmeal bread. The bread smells fantastic; we'll try some for supper, then probably freeze the rest for when the kids come up for Christmas. They are in their 30's now and it is still like someone turned a bunch of Hoovers loose on the food supply! I'm glad the U.S. Navy has to feed two of them now!
    LSFlaghoist.gif

Default Got it!!

It was Jimlay's picture:

and ktr's " bit of battering" comment that did it. I was able to yank the rear firing pin out by pulling straight back on it with a pair of pliers. The ding on the rear egde of the bolt was keeping it from coming out. The original firing pin was broken off. The new one is now installed and works fine. Thanks a bunch guys!!

PS: the rear firing pin is shown backwards in the pictures. It should have the wide part facing forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ding.jpg   lower bolt parts.jpg   assembly.jpg  
    Last edited by foudufoot; 12-13-2007 at 06:59 PM.

All right! Yay team! My next trick was going to be a pulldown of my old model 81, which is also known as a J.C. Higgins model 43DL.
    LSFlaghoist.gif

I hate to dig up this old thread, but when searching for some info about the Marlin Model 80 this thread came up. I saw that there were images attached before I signed up a day ago and after I got approved the attachments to the posts in this thread are no longer there.

Are these archived? Or perhaps deleted after a while? I'd love to see the attachments as I'm having a problem with my Marlin 80.

Wow me too

In December 2009 Gunboards underwent a massive software upgrade that didn't go as well as it could have. The net result was that all the images from before that time are pretty much gone. However, I think you can still find them in cached Google searches.

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

The whole reason I went through the registration process was to examine those images. The Google search that found this site showed those attachments, but when I just logged in for the first time after being approved they're gone!

Not a total loss- Those are some eye-popping topics in the forums! -Thanks to Marlin and their badly-designed magazine for getting me here. I like figuring out things for myself anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by foudufoot View Post
    It was Jimlay's picture:

and ktr's " bit of battering" comment that did it. I was able to yank the rear firing pin out by pulling straight back on it with a pair of pliers. The ding on the rear egde of the bolt was keeping it from coming out. The original firing pin was broken off. The new one is now installed and works fine. Thanks a bunch guys!!

PS: the rear firing pin is shown backwards in the pictures. It should have the wide part facing forward.
    I tried to repost the pictures, to no avail. Something is goofy here.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt end back.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	561166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt end.jpg 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	561165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assembly.jpg 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	561164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lower bolt parts.jpg 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	561163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt head.jpg 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	561167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt head top.jpg 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	561168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ding.jpg 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	561169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt end back.jpg 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	561166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt end.jpg 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	561165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assembly.jpg 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	561164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lower bolt parts.jpg 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	561163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt head.jpg 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	561167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt head top.jpg 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	561168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ding.jpg 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	561169