Thread: Steyr 1912 Mexican Bayonet

"Upsate" New York - The Finger Lakes Region

Default Steyr 1912 Mexican Bayonet

Hello Folks -

Here is a Steyr made 1912 Mexican Bayonet, marked with the Steyr "OEWG", the Mexican "RM" and a serial number (or more) on the pommel.

Any ideas on whether this would be an Austrian wartime used bayonet or one that actually went to Mexico. It is coming from Europe, if that means anything. I've never seen an RM marked '12 before. Most seem to be Chilean or not marked at all. And, there is precious little out there on these!

- Best Regards! Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mexicomauser19125.jpg   mexicomauser19127.jpg   mexicomauser19123.jpg  
    "Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!" - Andy Devine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pPFCjRPvM

"Where does the mind end and the world begin?"

Good for you Mike! Another great find. My guess is that it was European used, probably A-H during the Great War. There should be markings on the crossguard as well. I'll see if I can get my daughter to take photos of mine. (Then we can both be "hated"?)

Oh, and mine is not as nice as yours, mine came from Mexico....

Quote Originally Posted by TP View Post
    Hi TP -

Condition might indicate it was AH used and not delivered to Mexico. And, it's nice to have company in the 'being hated' department! I do have a Mexican Cavalry Adrian Helmet, but that's my only 'real' Mexican collectible and the condition is ok, but not nearly as nice as the usual French, etc... Adrians.

- Best Regards! Mike

Nobody likes you guys
    Gus

But Gus.... We like you.

I was going to see if my daughter would photograph mine but she is staying with her sister this evening and will not be able to help. Someday I have to learn to use a digital camera. It's really simple, isn't it? Wonder where she put it.... What? Oh, my wife says she took it with her. *sigh*

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Quote Originally Posted by TP View Post
    Mine came out of Czechoslovakia in a Kar98k scabbard. I have 2 M1912 Mexican long rifles (with A/H sling swivels) on which it fits just fine. I'll post pictures soon. Many were unit marked by the A/H Army (which were later published in DWJ) but my bayonet is unfortunately not so marked.
    Regards,
    John

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Here are photos of my Mexican M.1912 bayonet. The handle has a dark varnish or shellac finish which has been on there for a long time. Not only were M.1912 rifles used by the Austro-Hungarian Army, but after WW I, a little over 5,000 were in service with the new Czechoslovak Army. The markings on this bayonet however are only Mexican. Note that the serial number is on the crossguard as opposed to the pommel as on Mike's bayonet. All Mexican M.1912 long rifles I have heard of have a receiver serial number phrase which begins with the capital letter S in parentheses, as in "S". Heino Hintermeyer's series of articles on foreign rifles in WW I Austro-Hungarian service published a few years ago in DWJ lists serveral A/H regimental marks found on M.1912 bayonet pommels. This series of articles later turned into his excellent book "In der Stunde der Not, Fremlandische Gewehrmodelle in Osterreich-Ungarn 1914-1918".
    Regards,
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN9118a crossguard Republica Mexicana.JPG   DSCN9132a crossguard OEWG and serial number.JPG   DSCN9133a back of handle.JPG   DSCN9120a crossguard with serial number.JPG   DSCN9131a-full length left.JPG   DSCN9124a pommel with RM.JPG  

DSCN9127a full length right.JPG  
    Last edited by John Wall; 05-24-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling, clarity

Thanks John!

I see you're having trouble with images also? Hopefully it's not my computer... It appears there was another marking that was scrubbed, under the serial number on the pommel. When it arrives, perhaps I can make it out.

- Best Regards! Mike

Hmmmm.... Envy....

My 1912 bayonet is also OE WG marked, but apart from that the only markings are a letter/number combination on the pommel and frog stud. F over 04171.

Any ideas what country it was intended for and whether it may have stayed in Europe?

It would appear that something has been removed on the pommel between the press stud and grip on the right side of the bayonet. Someone put a file to that area a very long time ago judging by the patina. Looks like there may be the remains of a marking, possibly 182V and a few milimetres further towards the grip it looks like there is the top of an A or a 4.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1912bayonet0001.JPG   1912bayonet0002.JPG   1912bayonet0003.JPG   1912bayonet0004.JPG   1912bayonet0005.JPG   1912bayonet0006.JPG  

1912bayonet0007.JPG  
    Last edited by Bayonetcollector; 05-25-2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Added info

BC -

Nice blade! I was lucky, I found my Austrian M14 (Mexican 1912) on my first 'hunt' in the attic. It has the Austrian Swivel on the butt and the serial number is "S" F #### (it's upstairs and I'll fill the rest in later). It would seem your F prefix fits in with that SN arrangement.

Best Regards! Mike

Here is the blade attached to an Austrian M14 (Mexican 1912):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AH_M14d.jpg   AH_M14c.jpg   AH_M14a.jpg   AH_M14b.jpg  

Was pawing through the bayonet 'box' and found another Steyr 1912. It has neither Mexican or Chilean stamps, On the pommel is the scrubbed remains of an 'F' prefix that I believe may have been meant for Mexico. Then it is overstamped with a serial number 02114 (just a few hundred off from the RM bayonet) which is probably Czech.

- Best Regards! Mike