Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.

Question shooting .308 out a 7.92 K98

ok, educate me here. over on the mauser forum they are talking about shooting .308 out a k98 barrel. since the .308 oal is shorter, wouldn't that create a bit of a "problem"?
    Wisconsin, land of cow $hit and beer farts.

Perhaps they were discussing an Israeli K98.

I just looked at the post - Israeli K98's were rebarrelled after the war in 7.62x51 NATO, so no, there would not be a problem.

I shoot .308 cal out of my Israeli K98 All the time. Mausers in general were chambered for a Wide Variety of Calibers over the past Hundred years or so.

Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.

aacckk... i misread. i thought they were shooting it out of a 7.92 barrel.
    Wisconsin, land of cow $hit and beer farts.

i do it with a lanyard first. not sure if it would fire form. if it was life or death id go for it.
    also id lap the bore later for when the bullet skips on down the bore.

in an 8mm barrel? the proverbial pea in a garbage can!
    And the case would be real funny looking.

Default wrong hole

If you think .308 is scary in a 7.92 bore (NEVER EVER chamber a 8X57 in a 30-06). Keep your ammo organized and well marked. Also be careful when you have young Helpers and several shooters. Happy Holidays. Sunfish

I may be kicking open a pile of fire ants here, but there's been a lot of discussion about pressure in 7.62 x 51 versus .308 Win. Lots of folks feel that shooting .308 in a NATO chambered milsurp isn't a good idea. Aside from the pressure question, I believe there are some minor dimension variances between the NATO round and .308.

I stand to be corrected on this - just tossing it into the conversation.

Screw the ants - kick away.

couple of weekends ago I bought a Spanish FR-8. Couple of guys at the gun show wanted to know if thet was a 'Real Mouser', because it looked kinda small. I said that surely it was, and it was made for 7.62X51mm ammo. They looked confused, until I told them that it was the designation for what they know as the .308 Win. ammo. They wanted to know if it was safe to shoot (being so small looking) & I told them that as long as NATO spec ammo was used, there would be no problem & that the commercial .308 ammo was higher pressure & may be kinda iffy.

All my ammo is either Hertenberger, Portuguese FNM, Aussie or South African & I don't even own any commercial .308 ammo. They thought it odd, then wandered off into the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by AZshooter View Post
    Screw the ants - kick away.

couple of weekends ago I bought a Spanish FR-8. Couple of guys at the gun show wanted to know if thet was a 'Real Mouser', because it looked kinda small. I said that surely it was, and it was made for 7.62X51mm ammo. They looked confused, until I told them that it was the designation for what they know as the .308 Win. ammo. They wanted to know if it was safe to shoot (being so small looking) & I told them that as long as NATO spec ammo was used, there would be no problem & that the commercial .308 ammo was higher pressure & may be kinda iffy.

All my ammo is either Hertenberger, Portuguese FNM, Aussie or South African & I don't even own any commercial .308 ammo. They thought it odd, then wandered off into the rain.
    If commercial is hotter than Hirtenburger it's to hot. Sunfish

Here's a good article on the differences between 7.62 Nato and .308 Winchester,
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/shooters/7_62vs308.htm

I have an FR7. Nice wall hanger, for people like me who aren't into reloading yet. :-(

7.62x51 NATO and .308WIN are dimensionally identical, but the loads are totally different. If your headspace checks out, shoot 7.62 NATO all you want out of a 98 action. If your headspace checks out, you can fire 7.62 NATO sparingly through a 93 FR7 action. However, if you've got an FR7 with just barely tolerable headspace (i.e., closes on commercial .308 NO-GO, but not FIELD) don't shoot anything but handloads through it (handloads which need to be loaded to 7x57 specs).

That's my two-cents, and I've been dealing with this for the past three years, so I know something. :-)

PS
    Were the FR7 and the FR8 designed to shoot 7.62 CETME? Probably not. I don't think the Spanish thought, Hey, let's design these for 7.62 CETME exclusively. However, I think that when they designed them, 7.62 CETME was likely viewed by the Spanish as their main round. So they probably figured, What the heck; we're safe with the 93 & 98 actions.
    The Israelis, though, planned on shooting 7.62 NATO out of their refurbished Mausers. So, I think it's safe to say that the 98 action is definitely safe for 7.62 NATO and an occasional "low recoil" .308 round for the occasional deer hunting escapade - if you even plan on using your Israeli Mauser or FR8 for such a purpose.
    People get waaay too hyped-up about all this. Relax - moral of the story. If in doubt, don't shoot the round. Just stay away from older actions, unless you know what you're doing, and if you "accidentally" pick up an FR7, like I did, don't run out and chop it up and throw it away. They're actually rather rare. Hang onto them.
    Last edited by CCubed; 12-15-2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Realized I should add some info

Does this mean that a 98 Mauser action will not safely handle .308 commercial ammo? I have a hard time believing that.

I'm no expert, but the CUP levels for the WWII 7.92x57 loads vs. the commercial .308 WIN pressures are rather convincing. Frankly, though, I'd shoot commercial stuff out of my 98 action. Maybe not a steady diet of it, but I wouldn't be afraid to. I shot commercial stuff out of my 93 action. LOL I'm still here, and in one piece. The 98 action is much safer than the 93, though.
    Last edited by CCubed; 12-15-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: misspelling

Don't worry you can shoot any commercial .308 ammo out of a properly rebarreled 98 action. It is one of the strongest actions ever built.