Gunboards Forums banner

Pem ex-sniper

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  pd927 
#1 ·
I have an original PEM ex-sniper. I also have an original PEM side scope mount setup including all parts except the scope. Were the Russians known to use the PE scope in the PEM mount, or is the PEM scope the only correct one for the side mount?

#2 ·
You need to ask over on the sniper forums but my guess is that they used whatever than had at hand so I'm sure you couldn't really make a mistake scope wise and even if you did get the "wrong" one, it would be easy to sell...but anyway that's a rare mount if it's legit...does it use 27.5mm rings and are the rings split?

#3 ·
Yes, it is legit. It has the split rings with the increment marked tags. It is in useable but poor condition. I don't usually "restore" hard to find items because I don't mind the worn battle used look, but this one really is an exception. It has severe pitting on all outer surfaces but not inside the rings. Whenever it rusted, it must have had a scope mounted in it because inside the rings is in good condition. My goal is to have an all original PEM sniper. I just lack the $600 scope. I was thinking of using a high quality correct reproduction PE scope that I alredy own until I can afford the original PEM scope.

#5 ·
I recently got a Finn PE minus the scopes but correctly tapped, bluing in tap holes and CH barrel, completely Finn, twice through. I got $25.00 off the price for the holes and promptly filled them with accumounts bases and scope until I can find period glass and mount. It looks great other than the flat screws. If your PEM is welded make sure its reworked by someone how has that type of experience. I have several Ex's that would look great restored, but, won't touch them because of the welds.SDH

#6 ·
Your Finn PE is high wall?

#7 ·
I'm not looking at it right now, cause I at work but, I'll answer that one later, its all tula, dated 1938 receiver and CH marked barrel, its double Finn proofed, with SA's and what have you, double serial numbers, one on the barrel and the second on the drivers side rear area, there is a C stamped on the receiver as well. I took the stereo scope and inspected the mounting holes and they were blued at the same time as the receiver, stock is a Finn all the way, but, still retains the Tula marks. I had several very proud offers on the gun prior to adding the repro glass and have not taken it out of the house since. I am going to sight it in and maybe shoot it once and awhile like when I take out the MO/PU or the SVT 40 w/repro glass. I know its going to be quite expensive to get the original glass, so the repro stuff will have to wait til next year when I stop buying guns until all the collection is brought up to AS ISSUED condition, then I'll start collecting again. Hey do you know where I can get a British lend lease M1 Garand stock dated Nov 41? Thats also on the list!-SDH

#8 ·
I have a guy who does excellent work. I had taken my ex PU to another gunsmith who kept it for a year and never did anything except loose the screws and pins for the base! My new gunsmith has a nice lathe/mill setup and made new screws and pins exactly like the ones that were lost. He completed the job in a month including reproducing the lost parts. And the other guy was highly reccommended for some reason, although not by anyone on this site!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.