Question Question about 1900 Mauser Oberndorf m/96 - s/n 2380 - Pics added

I just picked up a well worn m/96. It's a 1900 Mauser Oberndorf with a 4 digit serial number - 2380. If I remember correctly, this is supposedly a replacement receiver for an 1898 dated Carl Gustaf m/96.

Here's what has me confused. Almost all of the parts are Mauser parts, based on the serial number fonts, Mauser crowns and other Mauser markings. The only exceptions are the barrel (matching s/n in Swedish font, crown over S), and the cleaning rod. The stock is German, but also has a crown over S on the wrist.

If this is a replacement receiver, shouldn't all the other parts be Swedish? Was an entire 1898 Gustaf m/96 replaced with a Mauser m/96 that was stamped to match the replaced rifle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0452.jpg   DSCF0454.jpg   DSCF0457.jpg   DSCF0413.jpg   DSCF0411.jpg   DSCF0417.jpg  

DSCF0407.jpg   DSCF0418.jpg   DSCF0474.jpg   DSCF0463.jpg   DSCF0469.jpg   DSCF0471.jpg  

Last edited by NW Swede; 05-30-2010 at 12:15 PM.

From what i get , mauser designed the

swede rifles and their 6.5x55 cartridge

the first rifles were made in orbandorf

germany. Those crowns are swedish.

Fiveshot

swede is online now Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member

NW Swede : We have learned much since the theory of 1900 Mauser replacement receivers was floating around . Actually , there appears to be 5000 extra Mauser 1900 M-96's made & probably numbered 1 - 5000 . Yours is one of them . The rest of the 1899/1900 Mauser contract falls approximately in the 20xxx to 59xxx serial range . It has a replacement barrel from the Stockholm Army workshop . The cleaning rod should be unnumbered with a Mauser crown .

Actual replacement receivers can have all original parts , except the receiver , or any combination of original & replacement parts .

FIVESHOT : The Swedes & Norwegians combined to developed the 6.5x55 cartridge . Mauser made the first M-94 Swedish Mauser carbines in 1895 , but Carl Gustaf made the first M-96 Swedish Mauser rifles in 1898 .

Thanks Swede! That explains it. The cleaning rod has a CG crown and a non-matching number. This rifle has seen better days, but it's mechanically sound and everything except the barrel appear to be original, German parts. I'm finding lots of different-looking stamps and letters or numbers in places that Swedish parts don't have markings. Pretty cool!

Exclamation 1900 Mauser Oberndorf m/96

Hmmm... Interesting.
    I guess I have one of those also. Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf 1900, s/n 2521. Inspector O.G. No tilted crowns, every number matches except it's a replacement beech stock and handguard, both unnumbered.
    StraightShooter

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1481/vietnamcampaignribbon4bsi0.jpg

Default More Pictures - German Markings

Here are some of the interesting markings on this rifle. The firing pin, safety, bolt shroud, and cocking piece all have what looks like a gothic font "M". Also, I found a small "s" stamped in front of the rear sling swivel and a matching one on the bottom of the receiver. I like the stylized font stamps that are found on many of the parts too. I don't know what it all means, but it's interesting to me because I haven't seen these kinds of stamps on Swedish-made m/96 rifles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0381-2.jpg   DSCF0368-2.jpg   DSCF0367-2.jpg   DSCF0375-2.jpg   DSCF0387.jpg   DSCF0389.jpg  

DSCF0429.jpg   DSCF0419.jpg   DSCF0427.jpg   DSCF0405.jpg   DSCF0378.jpg   DSCF0404.jpg  

Good job on the photos . You are lucky that you have all original parts on a M-96 bolt . Many have been replaced over the last 110 years . You have a RARE example of a Mauser 1900 M-96 rifle . I am surprised the barrel is the only replacement part . Nice addition to your collection .

Thanks Swede! I got this one from an older gentleman who bought several m/96's from an importer back in the 90's. He's selling off what he has left and I got to choose from about 8 different rifles. The low serial number and German markings are what made me pick this one, although there were several in much "nicer" condition. When I bought it there was a fine coating of light rust on most of the exposed metal. Luckily it came off easily with some oiled 0000 steel wool.

Despite being "well worn" this rifle has a lot going for it. It's rifles like this one that shot down our previous theory about replacement receivers on the low number 1900 Oberndorfs.

This rifle has not been rebuilt other than having a barrel replaced. The stock is original and the rest certainly looks untouched by Bubba. It's worth more as it is than if somebody made it more pretty with sandpaper and cold blue.

NWSwede - you're not new to Swedes. This was a good purchase.

Beeker77 - I own 2545. Its a FrankenSwede http://dutchman.rebooty.com/ObieWanFrankenSwede.html .

Dutchman

Dutchman,

Thanks for your confirmation about this rifle. I was having second thoughts when I got it home before giving it a good look-over. I have to give credit to the House of Karlina site for the education on German Swedish Mausers.

I own sr #70, all matching & cut down to M 38 length. Original stock.

Does your stock have the " C.1900 " stamped on it ? Look carefully , it may have been filed or sanded off . Could be a tell tail sign it was there .

Swede,

Late reply. I don't see any sign of a "C.1900" marking on the stock.

The crown marks in the first set of pictures are German Mauser crowns, they have a belly base. The only Swedish crown I see is on the wrist and barrel when the barrel was replaced at the Stockholm facility (crown over s). The other markings are all German. Looks to me like a German made Mauser with a replacement barrel. Very nice rifle! Lucky you...if you want to sell it let me know.

Just found this thread. I have M96 1900 Oberndorf sn 92, in fairly good condition. I'll have to take a better look at this old girl.

Very nice rifle indeed. It will be even better if she still shoots well. You made a great purchase there, the old original rifles are way more interesting then the almost new ones.

Very nice, NW Swede.
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

Here is a picture of two of the four low serialed 1900 Mauser m/96 rifles that I own. These are FSR rifles, with diopter sights. Although both have Mauser made stocks on them, the one at the front has a hole for the stock disk, but the rear one has NO stock disk hole, as they were originally made. The stock disk holes were done in Sweden.

I can make it to the front gate in 3.2 seconds. Can you do it in 3.1?

I am now the proud owner of the two that Buffdog posted above.

Question FSRs?

Quote Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
    I am now the proud owner of the two that Buffdog posted above.
    Not looking for actual figures/amounts, but how does the pricing of FSRs compare to non-FSR M96s? Same? Higher? Lower?
    I have heard (or read) several conjectures that the FSR will price lower since it is not 'original', and also that they price higher due to accurizing modifications?
    I would guess there may be lots of other factors involved, like matching s/n, original maker, front sight, etc. But what is the comparison, in general?
    Any thoughts?

Multiple-FSR owner wants to know.
    StraightShooter

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1481/vietnamcampaignribbon4bsi0.jpg

@Beeker77 I own two FSR rifles. I paid a little more than the average price for a nice CG m96. Of course one of my FSR rifles is a 1944 Husqvarna m96 with a Hauges diopter. I don't know if you recall...I bought your Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf 1900, s/n 2521.

I am certainly not any expert on this matter. I don't think there is any big premium on these rifles, at least not at present. I don't necessarily follow the herd when it comes to buying rifles for my collection. These two rifles pictured above came from a good friend, so they have a special value attached as far as I am concerned. I think they are a likely a bit of a "sleeper", though. There were only 5000 made, all in the sn range of 5000. I am not sure if they started with #1 or not. The value $ wise will only go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonovsdog View Post
    @Beeker77 ...I bought your Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf 1900, s/n 2521.
    I have Oberndorf 1900 s/n 2545.

Quote Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
    I don't think there is any big premium on these rifles, at least not at present.
    There can be a significant premium on FSR rifles over issue m/96. Scroll down on this page and see some significant FSR rifles:

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/fsr.html

Dutch

Yes, I realize that in some circles, there will be a premium. I was just going by what the general Canadian market has shown. No doubt, they will go up as the supply dries up. With only 5000 made, you might say the supply dried up long, long ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    There can be a significant premium on FSR rifles over issue m/96. Scroll down on this page and see some significant FSR rifles:

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/fsr.html

Dutch