Question 7.35 terni SA marked

I saw an Italian 7.35 Terni with a SA mark, and some other markings(British? I think it showed a crown.). How many of these are they? This is the first I have ever seen.

Think it was about 70k delivered to Finland, all 1939 dated Terni manufactured, with fixed rear sight.

regards
    badger

Quote Originally Posted by danny11b View Post
    I saw an Italian 7.35 Terni with a SA mark, and some other markings(British? I think it showed a crown.). How many of these are they? This is the first I have ever seen.
    usually they don't go for very much, as they weren't really used by either italy or finland

I "stole" this from Jaeger Platoon.

This rifle was based to earlier Italian Carcano rifles originally mainly credited to Salvatore Carcano. Italian troops had become unhappy to ballistics of their 6,5 mm x 52 Carcano M/91 rifles during Abessian War. So a new version using 7,35-mm ammunition war introduced to production in 1938, but starting of World War 2 ruined Italian plans of making a transition the calibre of their service rifles. As Italians decided to keep 6,5-mm as their rifle calibre new 7,35 mm rifles become available with very cheap price. At the same time Finland had a serious shortage of rifles (and all other military equipment) during Winter War, so when Italians offered new M/38 rifles the Finns immediately got interested. Negotiations took a lot of time, but finally in April of 1940 deliveries begun and 94,500 of ordered 100,000 rifles arrived to Finland in summer of 1940.

When Continuation War started Finnish military issued M/38 rifles were mainly to non-frontline troops like artillery, air-defence, supplies units and later after attacks of Soviet partisans even to civilians of remote villages close to eastern border. Also some unfortunate infantry units received these rifles. It didn't take long for Terni (most often used name in Finland used from this rifle, Fabbrica d'Armi di Terni was factory that had made the rifles) to gather a very poor reputation. Rifle had fixed (non-adjustable) rear sight (while the Finns be accustomed of finding correct sight setting for each individual rifle and soldier using it), poor ballistics and reportedly poor ammunition (with very large dispersion) just emphasised the whole issue. Bayonet of the rifle was permanently attached and foldable. In typical the Mannlicher-fashion the 6-round ammunition clip was pushed through the non-removable magazine. Original Italian fixed sights had been set for distance of 200 meters, but the Finns equipped some of these rifles with new higher front sight blade, which reduced the setting of sights to 100 or 150 meters. However in majority of the rifles the original Italian fixed sights remained to the end. Finnish soldiers usually didn't trust this rifle one bit and whenever they got any possibility to switch it to any other weapon they typically instantly did so. Unfortunately, as transporting of extra weapons back was often difficult Finnish troops had also tendency to simply discard weapons that they had replaced with better (usually captured) ones. So if transporting Terni rifles replaced with better ones was difficult at that time, soldiers often simply threw them away.

Depending on the condition - they tend to run fro around $150 on the market (if Bubba hasn't "improved" it)
    "Ole viisaasti höperö!" sanoi vääpeli Ryhmy
    Commissar Natalia Vengrovska Fan Club Life Member :-)
    Tired of the Police ? Try calling a Crackhead next time you need help
    ALWAYS looking for anything from Sortavala and Viipuri CG districts
    Looking for Norwegian Mauser K98F1 HÆR 43408 - the first military rifle I was issued

Quote Originally Posted by jepari View Post
    Bayonet of the rifle was permanently attached and foldable.
    Very minor point, but the bayonet was seperate from the rifle, attaching in the standard way. It did fold, though.
    When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion. - C. P. Snow

For some reason a few have shown up recently at auction and at some of the shows, all SA marked. A nice example would be
    a good investment with so few made and used by the Finns. If you think outside the normal Finn collector box, they are a nice
    catch.--If you kind of like Finn service rifles.

I can remember when no one was interested in Japanese rifles and now the prices are soaring through the roof.
    The bias against
    Japanese rifles has died out. That might also happen for Italian WWII rifles, but if not, you are not out much money.

Seems I have seen a few go for 250 plus - I passed on a few ten years ago for under 100 bucks, but interest in all things Finn have increased the price. Factor in the economy & prices can be less, but for those looking for a nice piece, the price can be high

Pahtu.

Of the 8 I have only one is not SA marked. Much easier to find an SA marked than not here in the US. As with most guns - the price is driven by condition and supply and demand, but you should be able to find a good one for between $150 and $200. Right now one of our members have a nice one on the trader for $175.
    The bayonet will usually run as much as the rifle though.
    And as BCD correctly pointed out - the bayonet is not permanently attached on the shortrifle - not sure how I didn't catch that when I "stole" the info from Jaeger Platoon ...
    "Ole viisaasti höperö!" sanoi vääpeli Ryhmy
    Commissar Natalia Vengrovska Fan Club Life Member :-)
    Tired of the Police ? Try calling a Crackhead next time you need help
    ALWAYS looking for anything from Sortavala and Viipuri CG districts
    Looking for Norwegian Mauser K98F1 HÆR 43408 - the first military rifle I was issued

A non [SA] marked 7.35 is quite a catch as almost the whole lot was sent off in 1940.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Think it was about 70k delivered to Finland, all 1939 dated Terni manufactured, with fixed rear sight.

regards
    badger

I have seen a few dated 1938 that have sold on gunbroker over the past few years.

wink2 terni

I purchaed the rifle for 75. It is in pretty good shape(very shootable) looks very good, well marked,not beat up. Many thanks to each of you whom gave me the information on the rifle and manufacturing/usage of it. THIS IS THE ONLY SITE FOR MI:LITARY INFORMATION. It has cost more than 200. to pick up minor things that I found that is VERY interesting. MANY, MANY THANKS TO ALL HERE!!!!!