Default Weaver M73B1 Scope Crosshairs Question

Just picked up this scope at an estate auction and just wondering if it is a legit 03-A4 sniper scope. One thing that looks a little different is the crosshairs are wide and white/silver? I tried to get a picture but my camera just can't do it. Optics are bright and clear.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00059.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	321474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00059a.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	321475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00067.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	321476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00065.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	321478
    Last edited by erlschhlnd; 06-05-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Hello Erlschhlnd. That looks like an 03A4 scope to me. It could be the civilian version? Not really sure though. I'm sure some on here might know for certain.

Hello Erlschhlnd, Definately a M73B1 and the plate so marked. If you are looking directly at a light sometimes the crosshairs appear to be silver. Just look out a window and see if same. If so, someone may have played with it. Not hard to work on. Still a nice scope. Skid

Based on the markings, the serial number and the style of the adjustment knobs it appears to be an early example of the 2nd variation of M73B1.
    The words "Telescope M73B1" on the side of the tube should not be there. More than likely the legend was added by a misguided civilian owner.
    The rings appear to be Weaver "tip-off" rings used for small bore rifles with grooved receivers. The scope is incorrectly installed in the rings in any case - it needs to be rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise so the w/e knobs are on the left side and the top.

Regards,

Jim

I read that the electropen markings were added by the military to some civilian M73's the military acquired. I have one with identical markings, and another M73 that has a post and crosshair reticle and no added markings.

Thanks to all for your comments and information. I really appreciate it. I hope I can return the favor some day. I think I now have a pretty good handle on what I got here. As I don’t have a 03-A4, I will probably put this scope up for sale in the next few days and maybe get it to someone that can use it. Will sell it as needing some work on the crosshairs.

I am interested if you are going to sell.

Just listed it on Ebay. Item number: 320545604532
    Thanks for your interest.