Default Substitute Broomhandle Lanyard Ring?

Hello!

Has anyone found a replacement for the lanyard ring? Marstar used to advertise them, but not lately, and I've never found one. The original Mauser was apparently some kind of LAMINATED piano wire, which is a bit much, but it would be nice to know if someone's found a way to fabricate a replacement.

Mine is an early '30's returnee from China, and in pretty good shape, all told. Just annoyed every time I see that empty loop on the end of the grip.

Best!
    Rob
    Historian, Shooter, Author, Poet, Mechanic, and Tired
    Arma virumque cano!

How about a hand grenade pin ring until you can find the correct replacement? You can find the dummy hand grenades at any gunshow or surplus store. Or, try a hardware store and sort through the supply of rings used to secure the ends of pins in machinery.
    D.
    Saab 1950-2011. RIP

The originals are a blued, split key ring type which are still common. The problem is size and color, I found black finished ones in 3/4" at a crafts store for about .15.

Default Popperts/Hardware Store

Thank you for the responses--Popperts has a distressing habit of not updating their listings in correspondence with their inventory, 'we don't have that' got a bit old.

Oddly, I haven't seen split rings in a hardware store for a long time--'D' rings, yes, but... Still, I'll take a look, thanks for giving me the size and the knowledge that something that will work is out there.

Best!
    Rob
    Arma virumque cano!

Split rings very common. Look on most key holders. Try Lowes, Eagle or any competent hardware store.

Default Maybe this will help you:

I know what you are going through, since I too bought a M30 C96 in 2003 without a lanyard ring.

This is an original ring that I obtained thru SKS-Man in 2003. (His website is no longer there, and I recall he had a stroke and was quite old when I purchased this so I think he might no longer be in business. He subcontracted the sale of Broomhandle parts from a family that didn't want to run a business, but had a LOT of original parts and would only sell them thru him.)

Anyway, here is a super close up and two pictures showing the inner and outer diameters on an accurate caliper so that you can find the best match you can!

Default Thank you very much!

Those photographs are tremendously useful. We had a minor misunderstanding on terminologies--'key ring' split rings are common, indeed, although I don't think one would look the least bit authentic, the heavier gauge 'split' rings--with a single, bend out, attach, bend back--division have been what I've not found so far. But now I know what to look for in size and appearance.

Best!
    Rob
    Arma virumque cano!

Quote Originally Posted by msinabottle View Post
    Those photographs are tremendously useful. We had a minor misunderstanding on terminologies--'key ring' split rings are common, indeed, although I don't think one would look the least bit authentic, the heavier gauge 'split' rings--with a single, bend out, attach, bend back--division have been what I've not found so far. But now I know what to look for in size and appearance.

Best!
    I'm pleased that my photos are a help to you!

BTW: You can calculate the thickness by taking the O.D. (.8460") and then subtracting the I.D. (.6565") then taking the result (.1895") and dividing by 2 (the two sides of the ring) and you will get the rings wire thickness (about .095").

Please be sure to copy them onto your own media soon, since I work from my own ISP's alloted space for posting them, which is limited, so that I will not be leaving them up permanently.

Ron
    Last edited by RonJon; 12-16-2007 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msinabottle View Post
    Hello!

Has anyone found a replacement for the lanyard ring? Marstar used to advertise them, but not lately, and I've never found one. The original Mauser was apparently some kind of LAMINATED piano wire, which is a bit much, but it would be nice to know if someone's found a way to fabricate a replacement.

Mine is an early '30's returnee from China, and in pretty good shape, all told. Just annoyed every time I see that empty loop on the end of the grip.

Best!

I should add that many brooms are not only missing the ring but many have the loop worn through and some have the "loop" replaced as well. Can't imagine the wear time necessary to wear the ring through the loop but must have been an effort. About 10% of the import broom i've seen retained the ring usually with a bit of red cloth tied on.

Paul is still in business, here's a link to his website page for the Mauser C96. He does list the lanyard ring.

http://www.sksman.com/acces/Mauser%20C-96.php
    NavyGunner

I'm a political refugee from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts

Thumbs up Make your own ....

You can manufacture your own "split rings" of the type Msinabottle is talking about, as I have done, adapting the technique used to mass produce rings of many different sizes and guages for chain mail - - yes, believe it or not, there is an active industry in which a profit can be made - from all the SCA re-enactors, etc. My nephew worked for a couple of years for one of the world's largest manufacturers of chain mail and the rings used in mail. They've also done a bunch of stuff for the movie industry, including the Lord of the Rings movies ....

Wire or mild steel rod of the appropriate guage is passed through a transverse hole in a cylindrical mandrel of an appropriate diameter to form the desired ID for the rings being made, then is wound tightly around the mandrel in a spiral. A cutting wheel or the like is then used to cut lengthwise along the tight coil which has been formed and "voila!" ... you have as many "split rings" as you had wraps around the mandrel.

Of course they use lengthy mandrels and power machinery to make rings by the thousands, but I have adapted the same process using a heavy iron bolt shank or the like for the mandrel and wrapping the wire or rod around it manually. Hopefully you can make sense of that description .... anyway, below is a scan which may help clarify, showing the remaining portion of one of my coils, not yet cut all the way through, plus a spare ring from that coil, and also a couple of another size of ring formed using the same process .......

I first hit upon this process after I decided to install lanyard rings on the butts of my pair of Remington Model 1875 single action revolver clones. Lanyard rings were a fairly common feature on original Remington revolvers, but for some reason Uberti and the other makers have never offered it as an option on their '75 repros, though Uberti does install the proper style of lanyard ring on their Remington Model 1890 repro. So I ordered the spare parts from Uberti - they sent the swivels which mount into the base of the grip-frame, but the rings were on "back-order" and they never did get them despite several follow-up enquiries. So there I was, half-way to my goal and unable to find suitable rings to complete the project. Finally, when my nephew was describing the ring-making process used by his employer, a bright light flashed on in my brain. Also attached is a detail cropped from a picture of my brace of 1875's, showing one of the lanyard rings installed ...

For the heck of it, here is a link to the website of the outfit my nephew worked for ... located near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, of all places .... http://www.theringlord.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails split_rings.jpg   split_rings2.jpg  

C96 layard ring

Go to CMR classic firearms, it is a place in England that specializes in the C96, they have them in stock.

koug