Thread: Mauser 1893

Default Mauser 1893

I bought this Mauser earlier this year and had set aside till a few weeks ago, and I was wondering if I could get some more info on it. It reads Mauser Espanol Modelo 1893 Manufactura Loewe Berlin . The Serial numbers all match (wood,rear sight, cleaning rod, bolt etc...)and it has a six pointed star stamped next to the saturn stamp #C2095 . the top of the receiver has a shield (castle,lion over some lines and a box with X's in it ??) Berlin 1894 ,the same stamp is on the left side of the stock dated 1894. The bore is shinny and clean and the bolt works smooth. so what caliber is this rifle and where if any did this rifle see any action the history. I'm not really into shooting it but would be more interested in the story for collecting. Thanks .Pics. are hopefully soon to follow.

manygunsmike
    Mike

You have an 1893 Spanish Mauser, probably in all original condition. There are serial numbers all over that gun, see if all the numbers match (bolt handle, cocking piece, etc.). With the serial numbers, there may only be the last two digits stamped on some parts, that is normal. Caliber, if unmessed with, will be 7mm Mauser or 7X57mm, they are both the same. The bolt should be flat on the bottom. You can see this when the bolt is withdrawn from the receiver. I will refer you to this website. http://www.geocities.com/fritz125541/Spanmauhome
    It is an excellent source of information on Spanish Mausers. Your rifle, unless it was recently imported, was probably captured during the Spanish American War, and sold to the original owner by Francis Bannerman, a well known arms dealer from NYC. Enjoy it. Shoot it, the ammo is still available. They are a pleasure to shoot. Please post pics if you can.

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Check out the Spanish Mauser charts in the 4th edition of Bob Ball's "Mauser Military Rifles of the World", pages 432-440. There is more narrative information here in one place than any other English source I know of. Bob in St. Louis did an excellent job with the M43-M44 charts, Fritz did outstanding work on the Spanish-made M1893 and M1916 charts, and I did the M1893/M1895 charts on Belgian and German-made rifles and carbines.
    Regards,
    John
    Last edited by John Wall; 12-15-2007 at 07:05 AM.

Thank You, I will locate that book it sounds like a Great read !! yes all the numbers match the Cleaning rod ,stock all bolt parts ,mag plate, rear sight parts, etc... Thats why I bought it , it was in Great original condition. No Import stamps. I will post pics. of my collection when I get my new computer up and going (I got it yesterday) !! Thanks all.

manygunsmike
    Mike

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Hi Mike,
    See the thread below called "Spanish Mauser 1893" at this URL:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=14257

I think it covers some of the information you might be looking for.
    Best Regards,
    John