Thread: Remington 700 classic in 8mm Mauser

Default Remington 700 classic in 8mm Mauser

These I believe were made in 2004 only as part of their special run series. My question is does anyone have one out there other than an unfired safe queen that they actually shoot. What scope do you use and what kind of groups do you get and with what loading? Commercial factory?,Surplus?,Do you have a favorite pet loading/certain handload combination(powder,bullet weight etc.)? Any info is appreciated. -d

I'm getting one tomorrow. I'll be putting a Lepould VX-II 3-9x40mm on her. Its a pretty "classic" scope that is a stand-by for me.

I'll be working up loads over the next week. I'll keep you informed of my results. My Yugo m-24/47 shoots 1" groups at a 100 meters, open sights, so this Remington should shoot well too.

- thedoveshooter

I shoot mine all the time. It likes Hirtenberger JS 1983 best of all. +1 on the Leupold VX-II 3-9X40. If I was working up a load for it, I'd go with a long ogive bullet similar to the military ball like the Barnes TSX 200 gr. and push it to 2,900+ fps. It's a bit much for whitetails but should work perfect on elk, moose and bison.
    rr2241tx

I just ordered some Barnes TSX 180 grains. They should be about as long as a 200 gr. lead core but lighter. I'll post results ASAP.

I've only seen a couple loads for 200 grains that are close to 2700 fps. What are you doing to get over 2900 fps?!

Here's what I shot with Sellier and Bellot 196 grain ammo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000459.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	445042

With a new, light trigger and handloads, it should be a great shooter!