Gunboards Forums banner

1917 DMW Lugar - value?

12K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Edward Tinker 
#1 ·
I inherited a Lugar and need an approximate range of value. I need to decide if I want to keep, sell, donate - and no need to joke about donating to you ;->

* DMW with 1917 date stamp

* Long barrel, adjustable sights

* Matching serial numbers (2907) on frame and barrel base, though the number on the barrel has been over-stamped, but the original numbers are plainly visible

* Wood grips and clip has wood knobs

* No significant finish wear, no rust (clip has some corrosion)

PHOTOS:

See less See more
#2 ·
You got a treasure there !
Dunno what the current going price in the US is now, but here in Europe it's worth it's weight in gold.
(Maybe you should post this in the military handgun section)
Brgds, A

#3 ·
I'm no expert but you have a WW1 Imperial German LP-08 aka Long Pistole or Artillery Luger manufactured by DWM in 1917. The barrel has a g ? suffix and appears to be forced matched or over stamped to gun's frame serial number 2907, located above the trigger guard and below barrel. I can't make out the suffix letter below the serial, perhaps a h ? This lower case letter is part of the serial number, thus 2907(h). to find out more I would post your pistol on Still's Luger (http://luger.gunboards.com/)forum under New Collectors Forum. A lot of Luger experts there. BTW, more pictures may be requested.
Regards, Bill

#4 · (Edited)
I'm just waiting for Ed Tinker to see this item. Right now with what you have shown us, you have a 'Frankenluger', made up out of at least two different guns.

The stamps on the underneath of the barrel are of different sizes, even in the 'new' serial number, and are very crudely done. The old number appears to be 638g - the last two digits also appear on the extractor and the toggle.

Please take a pic of the area where the rear-sight is attached to the barrel - from the side view. I'm looking hard for a 'flat' on the barrel where it joins the cannon/receiver, and I'm not sure that I can make it out in your pix. If there is one there, then you at least have a correct LP08 cannon - if not, you have a frawk.

The magazine is correctly wooden-based. Aluminium-based magazines did not appear until the second half of the 1930's.

I have DWM LP08 #535g, BTW, but that is ALL-matching except for the magazine - on the LP08 they rarely matched the pistol.

Please repost it under military handguns, or go to www.lugerforum.com.

tac

PS - a. it's a LugEr, and b. Why post a Luger in the DDR forum?

#5 ·
Artillary Lugers are rare with the long barrel & are well worth the $1500 bucks or more depending on condition & history! My 1917 Erfurt with a 4 inch barrel is worth around 1k or more depending upon the
"market for it"! Broomhandle Mausers in 9mm with a stock & "uncut barrels" are nearly worth their weight in gold today! I own one...but it has been cut down to 4 inches dang it! The treaty of Verssailes rendered
many of the long barreled german handguns after ww1 to the 4 inch length! (If you are are/or want to be a serious collector though) I would reccomend that you focus on getting a 1914 or earlier Mauser pistol in
.32acp as they are much rarer than the .25acp models as "working magazines" for them are gone! The magazine for that pistol is it's "achillies heel" as it will be rendered USELESS unless you have gunsmithing
or machinist experience like I do!

#6 ·
WHY did you put this in the east German section??? It certainly isn't east German.
I don't think that is an original Artillery slide/bbl extension.
Sarge

#8 ·
One with a forced match barrel and the pitting I can see, i would expect this to be around the shooter price of a $1000 in todays market, perhaps more to some folks, but perhaps less; as the market is fickle right now.

Ed

#9 ·
True, the market is "fickle" right now, but a Luger with a long barrel will always bring out the "rabid collectors"! Even if it is in "shooter condition" the market is still strong for the collecting community here! As the
"rareity factor" motivates them to own one! Sure, I made a great deal on my "broomie" in 9mm with a 4" barrel...And Pop has one with the uncut barrel & paid about 3 times more than I did! But, thanks to the
rare-factor of his...the both of us could enjoy the same return on our investment if we decided to sell them!

#11 ·
Here in europe this one would go for 1200 -1500 euros.
Brgds, A

#13 ·
no, sorry, I have been there for info, but don't think I ever posted there. and 10 yrs ago, was just retiring from the army, so had to get a job to afford retirement ;)

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.