Question M1 Carbine Stock Identification

I have an Inland M1 Carbine, S/N range 6,669,xxx, with import stamp of Exel Arms, Gardner, MA. The stock has no cartouche, nor acceptance stamp, although it does have a "P" just behind the trigger guard on the wrist (but no "circle"). There is no stamp in the sling well, but the handguard is stamped "IO" midpoint on the left edge. The stock is stamped "SA" on the right edge. How does one determine what "type" of stock this is, who made it, and whether it is originally correct for an Inland M1? Also, what is meant by "high wood"?

I think the stock was a replacement made by Springfield Arsenal (SA). Springfield made both handguards and stocks for use by Ordnance when replacing damaged wood.
    The handguard is an Inland.

The stock is "correct" for a rebuilt or repaired Carbine, but it didn't leave the Inland factory with that stock. Since virtually all Carbines were rebuilt or repaired during service, it's completely normal to see replacement wood by another maker or by Springfield.

"High wood" is an early type of stock that didn't cut the slot for the operating rod. In other words, there is no actual slot cut in the stock to clear the operating rod, just a slot cut in the handguard. Since these tended to crack around the operating rod, they started removing a slot-like section from that area.

An M1 Carbine stock will not have a cut on the left side of the receiver for an M2 selector switch, and won't have the M2 "pot belly" thick fore end.

The Left pic is an example of low wood. This is my M1 IBM. It is actually a cut down high wood. You can see in the pic a slight bump on the wood close to the right side.

The Right pic is an example of high wood. This is my all original Inland non arsenal refurb M1. As you can see there is a large difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rockola7.jpg   Inland M1 High wood.jpg  
    The only real power comes out of a long rifle. - Joseph Stalin.

Quote Originally Posted by srma63 View Post
    The stock is stamped "SA" on the right edge.
    In general, "SA" marked stocks are post-WWII, 1950's or 1960's replacement, M2-type with selector-cut and "pot-belly" forend.

As mentioned, as these carbines went through arsenal re-build over the years, many of them got the later replacement stocks put on them.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" don't you understand?