Default Model 1911 Victoria Patent, cal. 6,35

Hello to all,

I have just acquired a pistol reportedly made by a Spanish manufacturer, maybe Astra. The two lines legend on the left side of slide reads: 6,35 Model 1911 Automatic Pistol/Victoria Patent. On the barrel, as seen from the ejection port, there is a proof mark: a crown over PG and the word "Hope" on the chamber. "Victoria" appears also on the black rubber panel grips with a logo hard to figure out, possibly a E and a C entwined in a circle. Does someone have more information about that pistol? When was it manufactured and where? I was told that this pistol is a WWII vet bringback it came with a reddish/brown holster. Thanks in advance.

Bob In St. Louis is online now Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

Your pistol was made by Esperanza y Unceta (Astra) prior to WWI, in the era from 1911 to 1914. The monogram emblem you see is a fancy "EU" - also, the "Hope" trademark is the English translation of "Esperanza". These were manufactured in the Eibar region of Spain.

As to the holster, vet bring back story, etc. - who knows? Many of the Spanish handguns of this era ended up in France during WWI, and resurfaced for use in WWII.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

Default Model 1911

Bob,

Thanks for a prompt reply, much appreciated. You're right, the letters on the grip panels are E and U. I assume production of the Model 1911 Victoria pistol ended about 1914 so Astra could manufacture Rubys for France.