Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Value of my German Luger

I've had this gun for about 15 years. I got it from my Uncle. It is a German Luger. Along with the gun itself, I have the holster, two magazines and some of the original ammunition. All of the serial numbers match. It also has a certificate where one of our troops took it off of a german soldier and was permitted to keep the firearm. I wonder if anyone could give me a ballpark figure on how much this would be worth. I am considering selling it and I want to get an idea of how much I would be looking at.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/Magazine.jpg
    http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...cs/Photo11.jpg
    http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...cs/Photo12.jpg
    http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...cs/Photo13.jpg
    http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...ics/Photo1.jpg
    http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC00041.jpg
    http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC00042.jpg

Hard to tell if it was re-blued from the pictures! If not, depending where you live value would be at least 2.5K + for gun and a few Hundred more with the papers. But it looks to be reblued from the pictures and if so will drop value by a ton.

We need to see the top view of the gun to correctly identify it. Also a clear shot of the side-plate and a view inside with the barrel and cannon extension removed. Also the underside of the barrel and a rear view of the gun.

Right now, from the proofmarks and wooden base mags, it looks like an imperial Luger...probably DWM like mine.

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse restoration Fund
    I am an international Gunboards patron

Thanks for the quick responses. I know very little about handguns other than how to shoot a Glock.

I can't find where the wife put my camera. I don't think it was reblued, only because it doesn't look like any work was done on it after it was taken from the Germans in World War II. There are still a few rounds of original ammo left with it too.

I will hopefully be posting some more pics shortly.

Looks like a reblue but its a nice job and although it does reduce the value it is still a nice collectible and it will sell.
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

Need better pics, but looks original to me.

No buffing or marred surfaces.

The safe lever, takedown, and trigger should be "gold" or brassy looking.
    They seem to be, though hard to tell.
    You need to take non flash pics against a neutral bacground.
    Also many more of various areas.
    Then post it to the Luger Forum.

Do both mags match the pistol? That would be a huge deal if original.
    Looks like a very nice original piece in great shape.
    Some guys get silly over those authorization papers.
    They are heavily faked and only mean the piece passed through some duty officer's hands one day.
    I have seen people getting away with adding a hundred bucks for them, but I would't give $.50.
    Don't care about "history."

Yes, the serial numbers on the magazines match each other, and they also match the gun. I just found the camera and took a series of pictures. I am trying to upload them now, just a little slow with DSL. I should have them posted within the hour. Thanks everyone for taking a look.

Looks like original wartime finish to me. That's one purdy Imperial Luger.

I got some more pictures uploaded. There are some pics of a Colt Woodsman that I have too, but that's a whole other thread.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/RPPiggy/Pics/

It's a WW1 Luger. But it is hard to believe that it would be in that condition if it saw service and was "taken off a german soldier". So I'd skip on the papers and story as well.

Reblued or not, it's a gorgeous gun nevertheless, wish I could afford one! 2.5 is a bit high, 1.5 looks more realistic. I wouldn't doubt that a serious heavy-weight collector would pay more in a private sale though!

Go over to the luger forum and show this beauty off. It is an excellent example of a 1918 DWM with double matched mags. It has not been reblued. Value is way up there as very few double matched mag rigs are aropund anymore. Thanks for the view.

Hello! Your luger looks like original finish, it has all the wear where it should be. Is the holster dated? Do you have the loading tool? An all original luger with 95% are better with two matching magazines, loading tool and holster will bring 2,000 easy!

James

I doubt that this pistol was taken off a German soldier. It was probably "liberated" from a private home, where it was lovingly tucked away, after WWI. Put it up for auction on Gunbroker, with a rerserve of 2K. You might be amazed what it sells for. People will pay a premium for the best. And, they don't get much better than this one. The papers could be legit, and will add a premium to the value. IMHO

$2000 at least, maybe more depending on condition of holster.

what does a luger loading tool look like?your not talking about the take down tool?

Same tool.

If you want 2k for it pm me. It will do better than that. c

If original finish with two period original matching mags you are looking at $3500+.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
    If original finish with two period original matching mags you are looking at $3500+.

Scott
    If it's as good as it looks, ditto. I'd say this is one case where capture papers do add value.

If it were mine I'd price it at a firm $4,500. Even though it's a common year, having both matching mags a fine holster, and high percentage finish, I wouldn't be in any hurry to sell it. My DWM 1918 has one matching mag and is in about the same condition. It was definitely captured from a German soldier in WWII. After the summer of 1944, the police armories were opened to the armed forces and from surviving examples, a great deal of WWI weapons were re-issued.

Its worth what someone will pay for it. I think about 3K is tops unless you want to wait forever. You may find someone who needs a pristeen example of that variation who will pay a premium but it might take awhile. Good luck with the sale. c

The last matching complete Luger rig I sold in comparable condition brought more. In fact, I'd buy it back if the opportunity presents itself. Check out Bob Simpson's prices on matching rigs and yep, he gets 'em. Bona fide matching Luger rigs dropped-off the radar long ago. PM me with a price I can live with unless the gentleman in the previous post is making an offer, I'll pay the $3K.

I was not makeing a offer,I was just giving my humble opinion. I think that is a fair fast moving price. c

I have sold three WW2 vintage luger rigs with 2 matched mags this year. All were purchased by the first people who saw them and went for considereably more than some of the numbers discussed here. Generally speaking I have seen standard late WWI DWM P08's travel significantly less than comparable Nazi period ('39-'41) specimens. Doesn't seem to be about production levels, surviving specimens, etc. All about market interest in Imperial vs. Nazi. Difficult to say where the ceiling would be on the subject rig. IMO it should travel in the range of a comparable '39-'41 2 matched mag Luger rig but I am not certain it would.

Scott

In my experience, the WWI models with 2 matched and holster rigs bring about 1/3 less than the WWII vintage dated pieces, so probably in the 2k range is about right.

That's probably because WWI Luger rigs are far less common and very rarely have supporting documentation. NS stuff is far easier to sell, but I have begun keeping my WWI rigs. I'd very happily pay $2K if the rig is as legit as it appears. I've been able to sell high condition, common WWI Lugers with one matching mag in the $2K range, recently. Dealers like Bob Simpson have a strong influence on the market for these and though his prices are a little high, are a fair gauge. The late Ralph Shattuck would usually charge more.

Due to their susceptibility to age cracking, keeping wood-bottom Luger mags loaded or shooting with them are never good ideas, especially if they match. Swiss, repro or WWII mags are far more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stammtisch View Post
    That's probably because WWI Luger rigs are far less common and very rarely have supporting documentation. NS stuff is far easier to sell, but I have begun keeping my WWI rigs. I'd very happily pay $2K if the rig is as legit as it appears. I've been able to sell high condition, common WWI Lugers with one matching mag in the $2K range, recently. Dealers like Bob Simpson have a strong influence on the market for these and though his prices are a little high, are a fair gauge. The late Ralph Shattuck would usually charge more.
    A little high?.

Quote Originally Posted by msharleydude View Post
    In my experience, the WWI models with 2 matched and holster rigs bring about 1/3 less than the WWII vintage dated pieces, so probably in the 2k range is about right.
    That's a 3k unit all day

K

Vid,

It is to me.

I'd dearly love to be able to find nice guns at some of the prices I'm seeing. It'd be enough to bring me out of retirement!

JR

Vid,

That was a common late war DWM in at least 95% condition. I had been asking and getting lookers at $2,250. Years ago, I used to bring 40-50 Lugers, P-38's and Colts to shows and I was able to build up a following that has remained with me. Even then, high condition Lugers with matching mags never lasted very long. I've been fortunate in being able to buy some of these back.

JR

I do not doubt it, Luger prices were always strong, but now?. If Simpson's had this Luger it would be 5k. I have no real doubt about that. So being that this is a mortal man with a gun I would think a righteous market would be 3-3500.00. Economy and all.

Best,

Kris

I want to make it clear that I said 3K was a fair price to sell it quickly. It is worth that price as Stammtisch has made that offer.I am at a show most every weekend and these pistols are not selling like they were 2 years ago. c

I am a Luger collecter in tx and have dealed with thousands of different types of Lugers. Judging on the pictures provided it is a 1915-1918 built by Erfurt or dwm luger. The proof marks on the right side of the frame are ww1 markings. Refinished blueing decreases the value around $500 and I have sold these for $700 at the least with poor finnish and lots of pitting and in near mint condition around $1,850. Yours has a value around $1,500 as is with matching mags and holster. If the papers say ww2 they are probley fake because the Nazi German army had contracts with Mauser to produce Lugers such as the byf 41 and byf 42 and the "G" and "k" dates.

MG-42,

Do you have any WWI DWM complete rigs in comparable condition with both matching mags for $1,850? PLEASE reply if you do. Also, just an FYI but WWI military Lugers and even police Lugers were commonly used by the German military during WWII as long as they were still in serviceable condition. The earliest I've had was a minty 1910 date in a WWII holster with mismatched mags, but it did have a local bringback paper. Unfortunately, that particular GI customized the holster flap with a metal Luftwaffe eagle.

JR

What I realy would like to see is a good birdseye view picture of the interior when the "knee" is in the open position (like after the last shot). It could tell a lot more (for me that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Mg42_76941 View Post
    I am a Luger collecter in tx and have dealed with thousands of different types of Lugers. Judging on the pictures provided it is a 1915-1918 built by Erfurt or dwm luger. The proof marks on the right side of the frame are ww1 markings. Refinished blueing decreases the value around $500 and I have sold these for $700 at the least with poor finnish and lots of pitting and in near mint condition around $1,850. Yours has a value around $1,500 as is with matching mags and holster. If the papers say ww2 they are probley fake because the Nazi German army had contracts with Mauser to produce Lugers such as the byf 41 and byf 42 and the "G" and "k" dates.
    Surely you jest?. Ill take 5.

If the papers say ww2 they are probley fake because the Nazi German army had contracts with Mauser to produce Lugers such as the byf 41 and byf 42 and the "G" and "k" dates.
    Absolutely incorrect. I have purchased and sold any number of WW1 pistols (including Lugers) with WW2 vintage capture papers. All purchased from the vets or their families. Contracts for pistols or not the German military never had enough arms production to fill its need. They used WW1 and Wiemar era arms throughout the Nazi period. I guess they figured that something was better than nothing and assuming it was serviceable a WW1 Luger would save their life just as well as a WW2.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Vid View Post
    Surely you jest?. Ill take 5.
    Why stop there - you should them all at those prices.

The late Ralph Shattuck would usually charge more.
    I wasn't aware Shattuck was "late"?

Scott,

Unfortunately and sadly, that's the case. Ralph had some of the most unique Lugers in existence in his personal collection, including at least one owned by Georg Luger. When I acquired really advanced Lugers and accessories over the years, and they had generated the usual levels of gun show methane, he was a consistent and always helpful resource. Occasionally he did throw a bone my way, so he wasn't greedy. He could charge more simply due to his reputation. His health had been deteriorating for some time and I haven't seen him at a show in at least a year. Ralph was clearly a true expert and his passing is a great loss to us all.

I can't recall seeing you at one, but I am a life member of several organizations in that area ( Texas ) and support their shows. Prices at these are as high as anywhere else and bargains are just as elusive.

JR
    Last edited by Stammtisch; 08-18-2010 at 10:10 AM.

I bought a 99% finnish all matching all original byf 41 black widow with 2 matching mags regular and extra mag with the holster and the papers and nazi belt for $700 i got extreamly lucky judging on the reserch i have done that its worth over 5k.

wink2

I bought a 99% finnish all matching all original byf 41 black widow with 2 matching mags regular and extra mag with the holster and the papers and nazi belt for $700 i got extreamly lucky judging on the reserch i have done that its worth over 5k.
    Ill give ya 1500.00 for it

Scott,

Unfortunately and sadly, that's the case. Ralph had some of the most unique Lugers in existence in his personal collection, including at least one owned by Georg Luger. When I acquired really advanced Lugers and accessories over the years, and they had generated the usual levels of gun show methane, he was a consistent and always helpful resource. Occasionally he did throw a bone my way, so he wasn't greedy. He could charge more simply due to his reputation. His health had been deteriorating for some time and I haven't seen him at a show in at least a year. Ralph was clearly a true expert and his passing is a great loss to us all.

I can't recall seeing you at one, but I am a life member of several organizations in that area ( Texas ) and support their shows. Prices at these are as high as anywhere else and bargains are just as elusive.

JR
    Ill give ole Ralph a break but I sent back 3 guns. 3 up and 3 down, end of the inning with Ralph. I did manage to come in behind him at the airport coming out of Kentucky one time and he had this big ole suitcase full of Luger's and the lady was wanting to charge him for an extra bag, so he starts whining over the 25.00 and how he did not have to pay it on the in and I was just rolling my eyes. Finally, I just told him to pay it and let me get to my plane.

I am sure he was a nice guy, but he was a player.

K

K,

Believe me, I've heard worse about him, but not being one to speak ill of those departed I won't repeat any of it. These deals mostly involved not accepting returns on re-done guns when the purchaser had paid for original finishes. At one time at least he had a good reputation and he never tried any of this on me. Some of the other characters still active in the Luger field never made it that far. A FL show comes to mind when a mob was waiting outside for a dealer from MN and he had to be secreted out of the building. There are a few others in one major midwestern city who are notorious for hanging bad guns ( especially Lugers ) on the unsuspecting and two of these even sit on the ethics board of an organization that has badly fallen into disrepute. I dare not say more, because these characters will sue me at the drop of a hat and one has already tried. These individuals even cheat each other and then have the nerve to complain about it! I have known these swindlers long and well and wouldn't trust anything they offered, yet they still prey on the unsuspecting. What is even more perplexing is their motive because they clearly don't need the money. I prefer to remember Ralph for the good deals we made and I hope that when it's my turn to go to that great gun show in the sky, I'll have tables and an intact reputation.

All the best,

JR
    Last edited by Stammtisch; 08-18-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast