Thread: Type 44 Arisaka? Can you help me confirm its type and worth?

Default Type 44 Arisaka? Can you help me confirm its type and worth?

I apologize for the low quality pictures....you have to love iphones!

Anyways from what ive researched on http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

its a type 44 arisaka. nagoya, series 2.

The mum is intact and i could only find 2 serial numbers one under the bayonet and on the reciever, but they match. 7816.

If you could help me with additional information and approx worth that would be great thank you!

Its a type 44. Looks like a good one. 3rd bayonet variation if I am correct. I couldnt tell you value though. Does it have the cleaning rods in the buttstock?
    Active Duty US Army Combat Engineer, Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran 2012-2013.

no cleaning rods

If you would use the board picture host, I could likely enlarge the picts to be able to see them better.
    When I go to photobucket, all I get is pop ups and advertisements.

Bolt and floorplate should also be numbered, along with the striker and safety.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

You are correct. Your T44 carbine is Nagoya arsenal 2nd series. It looks very nice and having an intact mum is a plus. Nagoya made about 13,200 T44s, ~2000 from the original series and 11,200 from the 2nd series. So these 2nd series carbines are relatively common.

Yours is interesting because it appears to be all blue parts. Nagoya 2nd series started, around serial # 7800, changing from strawing parts and leaving the bolt in-the-white to bluing all parts. So yours was made at the start of the changeover.

It is hard to give a value without knowing whether your carbine has matching parts. Premium prices are only achieved when everything is original and correct, and in the best condition. As mentioned earlier, the bolt, safety knob floor plate should be numbered. If you disassemble your carbine, the stock and handguard along with other parts (tangs, mag box , etc) should be numbered. The striker pin and extractor may not be numbered since they were left unnumbered for most of the production run. A real plus would be if the dust cover matches and has the correct proofing.

You should check out Allan & Macy book on the T38 Arisakas, which has an excellent chapter on the T44 carbines from which the above information can be found.

- tge
    Last edited by TGE; 07-07-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Actually 2nd series Nagoya T 44 carbines were not made with the second bayonet housing type.

Something fishy is going on with this T 44, JMHO.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by 03man View Post
    Actually 2nd series Nagoya T 44 carbines were not made with the second bayonet housing type.

Something fishy is going on with this T 44, JMHO.
    I thought the same at first. You need to blow up the photo a bit to see that it is a 3rd bayonet variation which is correct. All Nagoya T44s have the 3rd bayonet design.

- tge