Thread: Mauser KAX98

Default Mauser KAX98

I recently inherited what I believe to be a Mauser K98. It is stamped KAX98 on the left side of the receiver. It is also stamped ERFURT 1915 on top of the receiver, in front of the bolt. The top of the bolt is stamped 308 P and is stamped 08 in front of the safety. The bottom of the stock is stamped 8622. The magazine plate is stamped 236. Any suggestions on what I have?

lenexa: I think it is KAR 98 A in Gothic script, you have what is called by the cognoscenti; a Karabiner 98 A(Z) It is getting to be hard to find one these days, but pix would help us identify it exactly...

Dale
    "If those sweethearts won't face German bullets, Then they'll face French ones!"

Default Mauser 98

I will try and post some photos tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by vonmazur View Post
    lenexa: I think it is KAR 98 A in Gothic script, you have what is called by the cognoscenti; a Karabiner 98 A(Z) It is getting to be hard to find one these days, but pix would help us identify it exactly...

Dale
    It would be marked Kar 98 rather than Kar 98A. I don't think any K98a was marked with the "A".

He is just reading the Kar as Kax.
    click for photo: http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14422.png

"Old men do not suffer fools gladly." -- Fritz, 3/17/14

You're most likely correct, it has been a while since I looked at one...

Dale
    "If those sweethearts won't face German bullets, Then they'll face French ones!"

Quote Originally Posted by lenexa62 View Post
    I recently inherited what I believe to be a Mauser K98. It is stamped KAX98 on the left side of the receiver. It is also stamped ERFURT 1915 on top of the receiver, in front of the bolt. The top of the bolt is stamped 308 P and is stamped 08 in front of the safety. The bottom of the stock is stamped 8622. The magazine plate is stamped 236. Any suggestions on what I have?
    You have a WWI K98a Mauser carbine made by Erfurt in 1915. The receiver side rail marking is Kar 98. The bolt s/n is 308p and the safety matches the bolt. If you are lucky, the left side of the receiver ring will have a rifle s/n 308p. The stock and floorplate do not match the bolt; one or the other may match the receiver, or may not.

All matching numbers (which you do not have) is best. Matching bolt and receiver is next best. All matching except bolt (which you do not have) is next best. Mismatched is what most of them are.
    click for photo: http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14422.png

"Old men do not suffer fools gladly." -- Fritz, 3/17/14

Thanks. What caliper is this gun? I am still trying to get some pictures of it to post.

Lenexa: 7,92x57mm aka 8mm Mauser. Examine or have someone competant examine it before shooting...Usually these are fine guns..

Dale

lenexa:

Does it look like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-035S.JPG