Default I need help in Identifying a Bayonet and its potential value!

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum and need help already. I have a bayonet as shown in the attached photos that I have had for years. I do not know anything about it and would appreciate your help in identifying it and a ballpark value.

I appreciate your help. (Photos will not upload, I need help with this as well)

Thanks,

Dennis

You should upgrade the pictures to the form that could be attach here. Probably only 150Kb or definition by rules of forum. Or You should exactly describe the piece, with adding any important dimensions.best regards,Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    You should upgrade the pictures to the form that could be attach here. Probably only 150Kb or definition by rules of forum. Or You should exactly describe the piece, with adding any important dimensions.best regards,Andy
    Hi Andy,

I don't understand what you mean by "upgrade the pictures to the form"? The photos I am trying to upload are 125kb each and there are 4 photos.

The bayonet is 26 1/2 inches in total length and the blade is 22 inches from tip to hilt. It has a brass handle with a slot to fit on a rifle.

That is the best I can do until I am able to upload photos.

Dennis

Does it have writing, in french script, on the back edge of the blade? If so, probably a Chassepot.
    Turk Pr0n!

I have written a novel. Science fiction alien-invasion set in 1908 Russia. You should buy a copy!

Hi Turk,

I could find no writing or markings anywhere but the photos I have seen on the internet look like a Chassepot. Do you have any idea the value if it is a Chessepot??

Thanks,

Dennis

30 to 1000, depending on maker, condition, buyer, condition etc. For price you are best to go on EBAY and compare yours with others for sale, there are people on this forum who collect 1866's who pay a lot more than others on here to fill in a place in the collection.

Goto my site www.old-smithy.info and there is a page dedicated to the 1866, but there are a lot of similar blades that are not Chassepots with some of them worth more than most Chassepots.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the info. I did go to your site and under the heading Chassepot related bayonets, the first one titled Hunting looks a lot like the one I have but the round hole side of the hilt is plain and does not curve.

Also I found a number on the side of the handle that slides on to the rifle, 3460. Does this help identify the Bayonet?

Thanks for your help,

Dennis

No. That's just a production tally.

There were many brass-hilted Yataghan bayonets.

A chassepot can be $100, a Werder can be $500, and various others in the gamut. The differences are often difficult to determine even if you're good. To say nothing of reproduction bayonets. We need photos.

Use photobucket.com and paste the [img ] [/img ] bracketed link into your post.
    Turk Pr0n!

I have written a novel. Science fiction alien-invasion set in 1908 Russia. You should buy a copy!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaarok View Post
    No. That's just a production tally.

There were many brass-hilted Yataghan bayonets.

A chassepot can be $100, a Werder can be $500, and various others in the gamut. The differences are often difficult to determine even if you're good. To say nothing of reproduction bayonets. We need photos.

Use photobucket.com and paste the [img ] [/img ] bracketed link into your post.
    I opened a Photo Bucket account but I do not know how to paste???

Dennis

I sent the photos to Old-Smithy and he is going to upload them for me!!

Dennis

P.S. I tried again and I think I have two photos attached to this response!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00171.JPG   DSC00172.JPG  

Possible French M1842?

American one of many claimed to be Civil war, sorry cant help more than that

Quote Originally Posted by old-smithy View Post
    American one of many claimed to be Civil war, sorry cant help more than that
    Thanks Carl, Any idea what I should ask for it on Craig's List??

Dennis

I recently sold one that might be a match for yours for about $150, I'd guess that's a reasonable ballpark.
    Turk Pr0n!

Yes it should american yataghan bladed CW era bayonet.

Yes, Thank you.

I searched "American Yataghan" and found a website that shows an exact photo describing it as c.1865

A Selection of Yataghan Bayonets
    Top: American yataghan c.1865
    Middle: British P1856 Artillery bayonet
    Bottom: French M1842 bayonet

Mine is EXACTLY like the top Bayonet.

Now, my next question is: Is there anything I can do to help restore the blade and Brass handle without effecting its worth? OR, Should I leave it alone?

If there is something I can do such as sanding, steel wool, etc. what is the process and how should I proceed.

I have attached 2 photos to try and show the condition of the blade and handle.

Thanks to all that have responded to this point. Identifying it was a huge step!!

I look forward to additional comments on restoration.

Thanks again,

Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00181.JPG   DSC00183.JPG  

sometimes is better remain in this condition,please dont make any agressive cleaning, firstly could help good oiling of the blade and little cleaning of handle with wool of OOO grade?

Following AndyB's advice I used some 0000 steel wool on the handle and just of the hilt on the blade and found two marings. One on the blade and one on the butt of the handle. It looks like the one on the butt may have been 3 letters at one time but you can only make out 2 of them. I have attached what I think are two pretty good photos of these markings. Does this help any to further identify this bayonet or date it??

Thanks,

Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00185.JPG   DSC00186.JPG  

Markings on the ricasso could be COLLINS & CO. Hard to tell. They made NCO swords, and bayonets for the US during the War of Northern Aggression. Not sure which bayonet this is. They made a few different ones, and they are all very similar in appearance. Markings on the pommel, are US inspector's initials. If you can make out the first letter, it will be easy to find out who it is. Like V said, worth around $150.00 +/- A tad more, if Collins, as there are Collins specific collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by trenchwarfare View Post
    Markings on the ricasso could be COLLINS & CO. Hard to tell. They made NCO swords, and bayonets for the US during the War of Northern Aggression. Not sure which bayonet this is. They made a few different ones, and they are all very similar in appearance. Markings on the pommel, are US inspector's initials. If you can make out the first letter, it will be easy to find out who it is. Like V said, worth around $150.00 +/- A tad more, if Collins, as there are Collins specific collectors.
    Hi Trenchwarfare,

Thanks for the info. Look at post #17 on this thread and there is a photo that looks just like mine, the American Yataghan, the top Bayonnet in the Photo.

Should there be 2 or 3 letters on the Pommel? The letters look like "C.W." but I am not sure if there was another letter to the left of the "C."?

The marking on the Ricasso is 6 characters. It looks like it could be, "L I T N_ _".

Any further thoughts?

Thanks,

Dennis

It's definitely the US version, that much has been said already.

As for value, I'm going to be a bit more conservative here, as I have seen one of these go for $75.00 (after a few price reductions from 125.00 originally) locally in a shop in NY.

After a LIGHT and gentle cleaning (more of preventive cleaning to stop further deterioration), I'd say about $100-$115 is a fair price for craigslist.

Does anyone out there think I can get $200 for this Bayonet??? I have seen several that recently sold on Ebay for between $180 and $230.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

Dangie,
    American yataghan covers a lot of ground and value may depend on exactly what rifle it was meant for. Since the bayonet has no scabbard that also affects its ultimate price although certain rare or uncommon bayonets sell well without their scabbards. The overall condition of the bayonet is fair and some collectors do not like buying specimens that have been cleaned or cleaned too much. Ebay can be a good place at times to get an idea of value but many of us will also tell you that the prices are often inflated by excited and persistent bidders so just because something sold for a high price on Ebay does not mean that you will experience the same result. I have gotten some good deals a few times on ebay but I would rather sell to a boards member or through the Want to Sell forum. You can stop the rust and try to sell it on ebay and see what happens. Just because it is old does not necessarily mean it has collector value. Just my opinion for your consideration. Joe

I dont think it's worth $200 without the scabbard in relic condition

more like $75 - $100

For god's sake... you have no clue what you are doing when it comes to cleaning... LEAVE IT ALONE. Every swipe an amateur takes at a collectible dorks it up for a good deal of your potential buyer list. Someone looking to buy something like this knows how to clean it and doesn't need you making it "shiny" for them. Removing patina from the brass is a no-no. If you want top dollar, put it on Ebay with clear photos. If you are going to sell on Craigslist, you will get local pickers only and they will not pay more than $100.

Words Conquer!

Good News (for me) I was able to sell the Bayonet on Craig's list for $200!!! Thanks to all of you and this thread for all of your help. You all were extremely helpful and I now have a greater appreciation for the bayonet and our history.

Thanks again,

Dennis