Gunboards Forums banner

non-dairy creamer - recipe anyone?

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  anvil 
#1 ·
Since we are on the do it yourself thing, does anyone have a good recipe for non dairy creamer....I can't fathom eternity in the post post modern era with coffee but no creamer.

#2 ·
Not to hijack your thread, but your mention of NDC made me think of a recent episode of Mythbusters.

They created an explosion featuring NDC, which they mentioned was incredibly flammable - even moreso than ammonium nitrate!

They weren't kidding - it went up in a ball of flame like nobody's business.

Did anyone else known NDC was flammable? How did I mniss out on this bit of info?

#3 ·
Non Dairy creamers are actually mostly made from milk... they take out all the lactose and add vegitable fats to make it mouth feel right... I drink my coffee black but I have experimented with powdered milk... very unsatisfactory... if you reconstitute powder milk and then add it to coffee it isn't to bad.. sorta like skim milk.

Might concider getting a female goat... well actually a pair of female goats... goats apparently don't do well solitary.

Another option is soy milk which can be made by following these directions http://www.soya.be/how-to-make-soy-milk.php

to get it to taste right add a couple drops of vanila extract and a little mild tasting honey ( just a little) as well as the salt mentioned in the article

#4 ·
#11 ·
Critical update to my previous post.. you will need a 18' x 20' plot of soybeans to have a safety reserve and beans to plant for the next years crop... I would also recomend composting some vegitable scraps and old leaves and what have you to improve and fertilize the soil unless of course you have a cow.. then you could use the cow manure , if there is any left after fertilizing the hay fields.

#12 ·
Goats are much easier on food, a cow is , well, a cow. You can have a few sheep and goats to eat down whatever weeds you have in your woods and keep shooting lanes open for the deer. If I lived on my land I would have a few goats. As a bit of advice, do not let them out of their pen unattended, as they will climb your car and play king-of-the-hill with each other on your hood.

#14 · (Edited)
Actually Goats eat brush.. they don't like to graze grass... but if you are breeding , or milking goats, they need dietary supplements to stay healthy.... Goats are so fast to breed that if they could breed healthy baby goats at will without significant human assistance they would have overrun the planet by now and no plant over 12 inches high would be growing on this planet.

Have you ever wondered why there are not any significant populations of wild versions of domesticated chickens, cows, goats or why wild turkeys and wild pigs look and act so different from domesticated ones... it is because the domesticated animals we use for food have been so modified they cannot survive for any significant lenght of time without human help.. if not food suplements, then in birthing, if not birthing then they can't cope with preditors.. that's the way we want them and that's the way we made them.

#13 ·
Like AmmoSgt, I also prefer my coffee black. In the early 1980's my dad was diagnosed with diabetes. At the time he was drinking coffee all day long, with milk and sugar. The doctor told him if he was drinking a pot of coffee each day and adding a splash of milk or creamer and sugar to each cup then he was drinking about 2000 extra wasted calories a day. Not good for anyone, let alone a diabetic. At that time my dad decided to drink coffee black rather than give up his coffee and I made the same decision. If you drink good coffee you don't need to put anything in it. Exceptions exist to every rule though and when I am having an Espresso or Cafe' Cubano I like it very sweet, Nicaraguan style, with about 5 sugars in that little cup of rocket fuel.

#15 ·
per your request Bill -
Things You'll Need:

• Non Dairy Powdered Milk
  • Splenda
  • A cool dry container to hold it all.
  1. <LI id=jsArticleStep1>Step 1
    First set a proportion in your mind of how sweet you would like your creamer to be. I would say low sweetened creamer proportion would be 1/4 cup Splenda to 1 cup powdered milk, 1/3 cup Splenda to 1 cup powdered milk for medium sweetened creamer, and 1/2 cup Splenda to 1 cup powdered milk for very sweetened creamer.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep2>Step 2
    Measure out the chosen proportions into a bowl and mix well.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep3>Step 3
    If desired add 1 tsp of flavored extract for every 5 cups of mixture, vanilla, amaretto, rum, chocolate, hazelnut. Stir very well and let dry. Make sure it isn't clumped.
  2. Step 4
    Store in a cool, dry container in a pantry like place with a secured lid to keep bugs and other pests out. Enjoy.

#17 · (Edited)
You can get non dairy powdered milk at almost any store that carries non-dairy powdered creamer.

These guys are good http://www.soygood.com/

these guys are cheaper http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FD A500

these guys have kosher http://www.naturesflavors.com/product_info.php/cPath/8/products_id/4084

But if you are just going to buy a supply then why not just buy coffee creamer to start with?

The OP asked about "post post modern era" if the supply system is down to the point you can't buy coffee creamer, then chance are you aren't going to be able to get the stuff to make coffee creamer.

#18 ·
It may be Kosher but it doesn't say if it's Halal. I'm just moving the conversation along and trying to glean as much information as possible for those interested. Personally, I keep a stash of artificial coffee creamer right next to my boxes of dehydrated water.

#19 ·
Just keep a couple of the large containers of Walmart NDC on hand, and occasionally rotate your stock. At the end of it's shelf life, or when your supply is exhausted, just break out the condensed milk. If you can't drink it black, condensed milk ain't at all bad & it keeps nearly forever.

#20 ·
My uncle Roy was diabetic but liked his coffee. In the days before artificial sweeteners were available, he'd add a pinch of salt to his coffee. He said it took out the bitterness so he could drink it.

It actually works.

#21 ·
When our ship was on its way to vietnam we used to take the water from the deairating feed tank sight glass in the engineroom to make soups and coffee. One or two salt tablets would cut down the bitterness of the coffee. Always with sugar and creamer (powdered)
made a lot of coffee and soup along the way. Cooked our spam on an aluminum plate set on top of the nozzle blocks for the high pressure turbine. Got the bread fresh baked outta the forward bakery. The home cooking came in handy as we had over 5000 folks on board. Nothing unusual standing in the chow line and not getting fed and have to go back to work. Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.