Default Steyr M95 and M95M technical drawings

Does anyone know of a source?

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Quote Originally Posted by BobVZ View Post
    Does anyone know of a source?
    M95 - http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...intage+posters
    M95M, partial drawings - "Srpski Mauser" (not available in the US) and "Serbian & Yugoslav Mauser Rifles" (available at Amazon.com) by B. Bogdanovic.
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не пье - то вiн або хворий, або подлюка." - Невідомий українець

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

I have a set of posters from Nick. They are wonderful!
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Thanks guys. Those posters are great. What I am really looking for are technical shop drawings of the bolt head and extractor for the M95 and M95M. I am working with a local machine shop to have some made and would like to have the original specs if they exist.

Thanks again,

Bob

Use and original and mic it?
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    Use and original and mic it?
    Yeah Vic, that's what I had planned to do, but the machinist asked if there were any drawings he could compare to. We are probably just going to copy a nice condition extractor. I just don't want to unwittingly copy one that's worn or out of spec. Isn't here an issue with wear and the ability to keep the bolt head extended? I don't currently have a good one and would need to buy or just borrow/rent one for measurements.

... Isn't here an issue with wear and the ability to keep the bolt head extended? ...
    Yes, when the prism at the tail gets worn out unevenly. Make sure it has an equilateral cross-section and you will be fine.

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не пье - то вiн або хворий, або подлюка." - Невідомий українець

Any projected price at this time?
    Pat
    No one ever got into Valhalla unarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Poot View Post
    Any projected price at this time?
    Pat
    Pat, no not yet. When I get some numbers I'll let you guys know.

Thanks Bob, if it's reasonable you will have many takers!
    Pat

Now he's saying he has to have a fully dimensioned print for the part plus desired hardness levels for temper before quoting. I don't know where to go to get the print drawn or what hardness level the part needs. So I still need a dimensional drawing or a lead on where you can get that kind of thing done, plus the hardness level.

Now he's saying he has to have a fully dimensioned print for the part plus desired hardness levels for temper before quoting...
    Good luck... I don't think even the Steyr factory has this data anymore.

Now he's saying he has to have a fully dimensioned print for the part plus desired hardness levels for temper before quoting. I don't know where to go to get the print drawn or what hardness level the part needs. So I still need a dimensional drawing or a lead on where you can get that kind of thing done, plus the hardness level.
    I know they're different, but what about testing an extractor from a US Model of 1917 rifle? I realize the dimensions are different, but it might provide a start. A relative idea of hardness could also be attained, and would probably be close enough. After all, I think the vast majority of these would receive casual, not serious use.

Pat

check here ---

http://www.heeresgeschichten.at/infa...tzen%20m95.pdf

very good instruktion indeed-The Austrian Komrades are perfect one more time)

You could get lucky, do you know anyone with a hardness tester? It will leave a small dimple in the object that is being tested but give you an acurate idea of what Rockwell hardness it needs to be treated to.

A good alternative to finding shop drawings of the bolt head and extractor would be .........

I just had a thought: What if the dots after the serial numbers on some M95s are from a hardness test, not a refurb mark?

And back to the main train of thought: ..... if you could find someone who had one of those machines that use a laser to make a 3D model of an object or one that uses an arm to do the same thing. Again you would have to get lucky. Now that I think about it my father may have access to one......I'll have to ask after he gets back from his trip.
    Will trade a German used and marked, all matching (by the Germans), good condition, M95M with original German added French sling for a M95 sniper.
    Looking for unusual, Czech, and 1913 or earlier M95s and early Czech 98/22s (Vz 98).
    Just running along ... at a tortoise pace. I'm just too busy and too slow.
    You can view pics of my collection here.

Update

I have contacted an engineering firm that can produce shop drawings and a dimensional data file from a scan of the part. They are supposed to contact me Monday with a quote. Then I can send the drawings to the machinist for a quote. I'm also looking into an alternative method to make the part. So, if the first quote is reasonable, I will need to procure an example each extractor (M95 and M95M) to use as patterns. I know that loaning me a functional extractor is probably out of the question, but if someone has a dimensionally correct broken extractor that could be bonded back together for scanning I could use that. PM me if you can help.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,
    Let me know about the price for the engineering I use AutoCad at my work and maybe could help you for a much fairer price. I will not be able to help with the hardness criteria though. I own 12 of the M95 and may be able to find a acceptable extractor as a model.

Ken

Thanks Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Poot View Post
    I know they're different, but what about testing an extractor from a US Model of 1917 rifle? I realize the dimensions are different, but it might provide a start. A relative idea of hardness could also be attained, and would probably be close enough. After all, I think the vast majority of these would receive casual, not serious use.

Pat
    old thread but worth reviving, yes you can use the 1917 Enfield extractor as a core, to make an M95M extractor. I made one from a 1917 extractor last night, on my kitchen table, using a dremel and then finished it in the garage with a bench grinder. The dremel is needed for the delicate close tolerance work around the bolt head.

to get it to really work smoothly though, the anchor rib on the tail of the extractor, must be welded on, then ground/filed to shape. This is what holds the bolt extended at full open, by locking into a notch in the inner bolt helix, and takes tension off the bolt guides and locking lugs. Otherwise the action will be a little sticky to operate, but still works.