Thread: Pa-63 Made by FEG HUNGARY

Default Pa-63 Made by FEG HUNGARY

Pa-63 Made by FEG HUNGARY Cal.9mm MAK on left of slide and C.A.I. ST. ALB.VT ON THE RIGHT OF SLIDE AC 2232 # Can anyone tell me anything about this weapon?

I bought one for $100. I should have kept it but it was the most uncomfortable pistol I have ever shot in my life. It even made me bleed.

badwolf if you search through the Makarov forum you'll find out a bunch about the pistol there.
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

Hi. Thanks for the response, I've been looking on this site and others from the time I get home from work 2:15 pm until I go to bed around 11:00ish I get up at 4:30 am for 2days straight and I have found out very little. I have had some help with a slide that does not work right but can't seem to find out how old this is,I also found on another site that 93 to 95 grain should be the most I should use and this site is for real Makarovs made in Bulgaria not my Pa-63 made in Hungry. I wish my wife would have picked a .380 instead.
    Last edited by badwolf; 07-26-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: error

Don't be bummed - the PA-63 is a pretty nifty gun. For instance, the Hungarians actually put titanium into the aluminum alloy that they made the frame out of. Pretty cool, considering it was the '60s. I like these modernized versions of the Walther PP, and I prefer the 9x18Mak round to the .380. Have fun with your gun and email me if you have any questions that I might be able to answer.

Default How old

This is one question I've been trying to find out,The older Pa-63 did not have the the blended metal for added strength.

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    This is one question I've been trying to find out,The older Pa-63 did not have the the blended metal for added strength.
    It was the earlier FEG pistol, the RK-59, that used a pure aluminum frame. Wear issues lead them to search for the alloy mix used in the PA-63, and the other later models.
    Check out "ManOWar's" Hungarian weapons web sight at www.hungariae.com . He covers the history and model variations very well.

Robert

I've owned, carried, and shot one of these for years. (Finally sold it to finance the purchase of a PPK)
    It's a great pistol for defense, the 9mm Mak is a very powerfull round, I've read somewhere it's the most powerfull you can use in a straight blowback pistol (like this one). Pretty accurate too within it's limitations. I did notice accuracy tended to diminish as the barrel heated up. Or maybe it was just me flinching from the recoil and the muzzleblast ;-)
    It's also easy to carry and aestetically pleasing to look at.
    In short: a fine gun for a good price.

BRGDS, A
    I'd rather have a bottle in frontame than a frontal lobotomy.
    --------------
    Author of the bestseller: "Strangling small furry animals for fun and profit." (University of Lagos/Nigeria press - 1978)

Honorary curator to the Outer-Azerbeidjan National Museum of Ancient Milkbottle Caps (OANMAMC).

Not to pick nits but,,, the 9mm Luger or Parabellum and the 45ACp have both been used in straight blowback pistols. I have an Astra 600 that is 9mm parabellum and there are the High Point pistols - all blowback.

It ranks in my top 3 of handguns I liked to shoot least. The other 2 were:
    An 44 mag old style Ruger Suoper Blackhawk that gave me a persistant flinch and REALLY made my hand bleed, thanks to the square backed trigger guard! (love the Redhawk 44 mag that replaced it, very comfortable)
    A Bryco 380. 2 or 3 jams per mag and a teaspoon of metal sludge per half box of ammo. Gave up then, figured there'd be nothing left of the slide by the end of the box.

With the PA63 I tried modifying the grip, eliminating the thumbrest, weaker springs, nothing helped. The DA was unuseable, gorilla level - and I have no problems with my nagant revolvers! And it hurt. A lot. I think its due to the sexy Walther PP grip angle. Some folks complain about the Walther PPs in 380, too, while the 32's and lower have no problems.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

In the immediate family we have four FEG pistols.
    Started with a .32 cal AP-MBP, which my wife picked up and fell in love with. After some research I went to Wolff for a spring set and Marschal for custom grips. It shoots very well, comfortable and accurate.
    Later we added a PA-63 in 9x18. As expected the double action pull and recoil were both unpleasant. What wasn't expected was how bad the thumbrest grips feel (the .32 had flat grips from the factory). Back to Wolff and Marschal! After respringing it the double action pull and recoil were both very good, it's like a whole different gun. Family members who fired it ordered up two more. I had the spring sets ready.

The Wolff springs are available in 9, 11 and 13 lbs for the hammer spring, and 11, 13 and 15 lbs for the recoil spring. They make calibration packs with one of each power for both the recoil and hammer spring. The recoil springs come with a new firing pin spring to prevent slam fire problems. Be very careful when replacing the firing pin spring. There are lots of little parts that can go springing across the room.
    The .32 now has an 11 lb recoil spring, and an 11 lb hammer spring. The 9 lb. gave a nicer trigger pull, but would sometimes misfire on European loaded ammo.
    Two of the PA-63s have 13 lb recoil springs, the other works better with a 15 (don't know why the difference). All three use the 11 lb hammer spring. They will reliably fire all the US loaded ammo I've tried, and most European (Sellier and Bellot, Fiocchi, Prvi and Czech Milsurp) but not Russian "Wolf" brand. The Wolf gives about one fail to fire in ten. A second strike will usually set it off. The 13 lb spring cures this, but makes the trigger pull noticeably heavy. The Wolf is so dirty (and smelly) that I don't use it any more anyway.

Some people have rounded the back corners of the tang to deal with the "frame bite". I haven't tried that, since it's not a big deal for me.

I like these pistols. I'd like to add a .380 to the collection, and a couple of steel frame models. Maybe an RL-61 (PPK size) as a BUG.

Robert

Thanks for the replies. I found the answer to the age from another area in the Forum. The 63 in Pa-63 means it was made in 63. My ignorance is what made me seek out people to enlighten me, My wife picked up this gun at a gun shop and immediately fell in love with the feel in her hand and the looks,I liked the price,$150 instead of $250 for the Bersa.380 I thought would be good for her.She said an attacker would laugh when he saw it. She has put 25 rounds through it and likes it more it does not seem to hurt her hand but kills mine, that damn curve below the trigger. I'll stick to my H&K .40 and wait for the other magazine I ordered and hope that fixes the slide lock after last shot.

Yeah, it looks and feels good. Feels comfortable in my hand until bang, ouch.... I shot one magazine out of it and put it away for a while then tried it again to make sure I didn't like it. I would feel much better knowing my wife was carrying a 9 X 18 cal pistol than a .22 lr. If she likes it then good. Hey, why not try the spring upgrades. I really don't see a reason for a firing pin spring upgrade but I may not know anything?

Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    I really don't see a reason for a firing pin spring upgrade but I may not know anything?
    When switching to a higher powered recoil spring Wolff always recomends changing to a fresh firing pin spring of known adequate strength. This helps prevent slam-fires, which otherwise might occur with the faster return to battery.

Robert

Always bear in mind that it's a defensive pistol, not a target gun. It fulfills that job perfectly.
    BTW, 63 is the model year, not necessarily the manufacturing year.
    Best regards,
    A
    I'd rather have a bottle in frontame than a frontal lobotomy.
    --------------
    Author of the bestseller: "Strangling small furry animals for fun and profit." (University of Lagos/Nigeria press - 1978)

Honorary curator to the Outer-Azerbeidjan National Museum of Ancient Milkbottle Caps (OANMAMC).

Thumbs up

I have Never had a problem with my factory original PA 63. I do not find it any different than my Kurkale (another PP clone) in 380 - except the DA trigger is a beast. This is not a problem because I never shoot it DA. It's cocked when it clears the holster.
    I have a big hand, my Browning Hi-Power is a perfect fit, beats me why people have a problem with the PA 63!
    I started my niece shooting at 10. At 13 she still like to shoot my PA 63, it is in fact one of her 2 favorite pistols (the other is a Ruger Bearcat).
    Sarge
    Calling Illegal Aliens Undocumented residents is like call Drug Dealers Unlicensed Pharmacists!
    LIFEMEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

I'm with Sarge on this one. Always liked the PA-63.

Draybo : )
    If I really knew how much I thought I knew...I'd be a dadburn GENIUS!

When you remove the grips keep an eye out for the two sear retaining caps. They are very small and fall out. You can also take a polishing dremel tool to all of the sharp edges that may cut you hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    beats me why people have a problem with the PA 63!
    Me too. Mine was a killer. But its not the absolute level of recoil because for me my EG Makarov has no noticeable recoil, and my Ruger Redhawk 44 mag is comfortable to shoot! It isn't related to hand size, like with a lot of handguns, where a grip or trigger reach is too big for the hand, resulting in an insecure grip. It's not the thumb rest, since I removed mine and it made little difference.
    I guess its the grip angle, and many people are sensitive to getting whacked on the web between thumb and hand. Walther PPs in 380 also draw complaints from some shooters, but not nearly the percentage who complain of the PA-63, while the 32 ACP Walthers are no problem.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    Don't be bummed - the PA-63 is a pretty nifty gun. For instance, the Hungarians actually put titanium into the aluminum alloy that they made the frame out of. Pretty cool, considering it was the '60s. I like these modernized versions of the Walther PP, and I prefer the 9x18Mak round to the .380. Have fun with your gun and email me if you have any questions that I might be able to answer.
    Lots of aluminum alloys contain titanium and have for decades before this pistol was first made. I suspect the frame was never pure aluminum. Still, it's a pretty good pistol.
    "The only time we see the middle of the road
    is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
    ----------------------------------------------------

I have a friend on the Net who is a lawyer in Budapest. I asked her to see if her father had been issued one of these while a Hungarian officer. He had, and didn''t like it. Said it kicked too hard, and he couldn't hit anything with it. But he probably has little experience with any handgun.

I think that gun writer Mike Venturino likes his.

Lone Star

Quote Originally Posted by torpeau View Post
    I suspect the frame was never pure aluminum. Still, it's a pretty good pistol.
    A pure aluminum frame would be so soft as to be useless. And IMHO the PA-63 sucks.

I have a FEG mod R61 in 380
    lookin for slide catch abd slide catch spring
    ANY help would be appreciated
    Thanks

The ejector (slide catch) and ejector spring are supposed to be the same as the PA-63 family. Check with Numrich www.gunparts.com under "Interarms PPH".

So the verdict is in: Some like the PA-63, some don't!

B-3,

I respectfully suggest the WTB forum instead of bringing months old topics back to the top.

When I first fired my pa63 it hurt my hand. After that I adjusted my grip and now it is one of my favorite pistols to shoot. It is pretty accurate out to 25-30 yds.I get silver bear ammo for about $12 a box so I like to shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaegermeister View Post
    So the verdict is in: Some like the PA-63, some don't!
    Not a matter of "like"! Some can live with it without giving blood, and some can't.