Question What Is The Best Mosin Nagant Model?

I have been looking for a Mosin Nagant M91/30.What is the best model?Is the Russin or is the Finnish the best?

Finnish is the best.

The "best" model probably isn't the 91/30. Do some research and get to know them, first. Something will eventually "call to you". Welcome aboard!

The Finn M28 would have my vote-SDH
    Horak Family farm, CZ

Best for shooting? collecting? looking? price? There are a lot of bests out there.

They all have thier points. You need to ask yourself what your intended use is, and then, what can your budget withstand.

The least expensive way to start a Mosin collection would be a Russian post-war refurb M91/30. THey're the most commonly available Mosin Variant..

THen you can branch out from there.. hell you could spend half a lifetime on M91/30 variants- Hex receiver, laminated stocks, different countries of manufacture, collecting by year, sniper versions, capture or other unique markings, etc....
    AK_MILSURP
    Benefactor Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, Alaska Gun Collectors Association
    Life member, VFW
    Anchorage, AK
    www.amga.net

"Remember the Range day, And keep it holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim"

Hands down: Finnish M39 "7.62mm Kivääri 39" service rifle.

shot several of my m1891 and m24 rifles today. while I do like this model more than any other, the m28/30 and the m39 will outshoot them because the sights are better. They will outshoot the m27 and m28 also, even the ones with the modified sights for the same reason.
    I'm sure someone can chime in with a model I listed here that will outshoot a 28/30 or an m39, but overall the 28/30 and m39 will be better shooters because of the sights and the thickness of the barrel.
    finn's are nice, but usually mean more $$$. depends on what you are collecting for, and the price range you want to collect in. Also depends on what your standards of accuracy are. if minute of pie plate at 100 yards is acceptable to you, a refurb 91/30 will likely do that cheaply. if tight groups at 600 yds are what you have to have, an m39 might fit the bill better. If you are looking for a brush gun to shoot wild hogs at 50 yds, an m38 or m44 carbine would be a good match.

y'all have a good day, Keith
    Say you love her 'till she lays down the butcher knife. -Tim Wilson

"Luck" is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

Depends on which ammo you have the most of. I have more light ball, which performs best for me thru my M44s, M'38's & 91/59.

M-39 all the doo da day......:D

I really hate to respond to something like this because it is so subjective. But of course I can't resist. Not cheep and not easy to find: The M28-30 is what I would want. Mostly because I handload and it will shoot easy to get .308 diameter bullets. The M39 is the next best thing for all the reasons the others have listed. That being said. I have friends who have 91-30 ex snipers (the old scope mounting holes are filled) Russian not Finn that shoot pretty good. Like Joop said look em over and one will call to you. For me it was a M39 it looks like a M1 Garand with a bolt action. Just my opinion.

For the looks and the precision : m/28-30, preferably an early model with tight bore(until 1935) and non D modified chamber. Use the old D46 bullet driven by 45grn of N140 loaded into a LAPUA case and you have the old Civil Guard match load of the early 1930s. If the bullets do not group VERY tight, it is DEFINITELY not the fault of the rifle!!!!!!!!!!
    Collector's Creed:

This is my rifle.
    I have many like it, and they are all MINE.
    My rifles are my life. Without my rifles I am useless.
    I must buy any cheap Milsurp, before Bubba does.
    I will learn all about restoration and preservation of guns.
    I must clean my rifles and shoot them often.

So be it, until all old military rifles have found a loving home.

Typically anything Finnish with Finn barrels on them will be good shooters. M39s and Finn M91s and maybe 91/30s are the easiest and most populous Finn Mosins to come across, so if you're looking for one, look for one of those. You'll have to pay more in most cases, but quality and desirability of the Finns is often times more so than that of the Russian M91s or 91/30s. But, if you find a Mosin with a good bore, regardless of model or who made it, you'll usually get it to shoot pretty well. If you're looking for something that's very accurate, the M39 is one of them. Ex-Dragoon rifles are good candidates as well. Fit and finish on those is better than wartime production 91/30s. It's just a matter of what you find, what you can afford, and as mentioned previous, what is calling to you when you're there looking to buy. Ex-snipers are good choices as well. Do your research so you know what you're buying!

All I can say is 28/76 all the way!

Anyways, "best" is relative. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to Mosins, but you've picked the right rifle family because there really is a Mosin out there for everyone.

Finns have the best quality, Russians are the best first gun (they're the cheapest), other countries are great for historical interest... and are just straight up cool.

And to help you with your decision, here's the greatest Mosin reference on the web: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM.htm

I also recommend buying the reference book "The Mosin Nagant Rifle" by Terrence Lapin. It's like a mobile, lite version of 7.62x54r.net
    Signed,

Fatherandersonthepaladin
    Purveyor of fine Mosins, Hater of Bubba, and Pantsless Evil Dictator of Eggplants.

The best shooting rifle I have is a 44 dated Finn Tikka barreled 91/30 with a couple of M-39's close behind. i never have fired my 28/30. I'm getting in to reloading and can't wait to see how my 28/30 shoots with a load made for it.

The best Mosin-Nagant is the one you like the most.

i have a 1891/30 that is russian and beats all my m39s and it out does my m-91. of which both are finnish

Best made Mosin I have is a 1942 Sk.Y M39 built on an antique Tula receiver. Most accurate is a fake PU Sniper built on an incorrect year. "Coolest" and loaded with the most history is an antique Sestroryetsk which looks to be scarred from decades of continual use. Previous owner thought the weird "C" engraved on the side in a different font than the Serbian "C" up top might indicate Turkish use, who knows...

Is there a bad Mosin?
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

The "best" rifle is the next one I find.
    foudufoot's offical stalker

Quote Originally Posted by jim330rifle View Post
    I have been looking for a Mosin Nagant M91/30.What is the best model?Is the Russin or is the Finnish the best?
    Jim,

If you are only considering the M91/30, pre-WWII Soviet rifles are of very fine quality. Wartime manufactured rifles are common and can be roughly made. I have Finnish M39s, M28, and a 1944 Finnish M91/30. Only other Mosin I have is a '37 Tula M91/30 that is matched, cept' for the bolt, and has original bluing. The quality of the Tula is as fine as any Finnish rifle. It balances better than any of the other Mosin based rifles that I have and feels lighter, maybe cause it is. Haven't shot it yet, and it probably won't come close to the Finns with their heavier and more finely made barrels. The Finn M39 is a beautifully made rifle, and a good one is supremely accurate if you are capable. It is heavy but balances well. Recoil is light with 147 grain ball. Caribou regularly brings home the bacon with one, and shoots from one hundred to four hundred yards with iron sights if I remember right.

I love the looks of the M28 and it balances nearly as well as our legendary M1903. But feels a bit heavier, I compared them. Very classy and accurate rifle the M28. Most probably have seen combat action. I LIKE'EM.

If ya' can find a nice Pre-WWII Soviet 91/30 with a fine bore, or a Finn, jump on it. Or, if this is the first Mosin Nagant rifle you are lookin' for, get a cheap reworked Soviet rifle and see if ya' like them. Probably will.....some are real lookers.

Lancebear

Exclamation Thanks!

Thanks for all the info.I guess I will keep looking and find what I like.Thank you to all for the info!

i have had amazing results and low disapointment anything finn. less picky and well made. dont worry.