Thread: NHM-90 AK 47 7.62x39, (are they a good variant)

Default NHM-90 AK 47 7.62x39, (are they a good variant)

Hi there i have been offered a brand new NHM-90 for a great price,$1350 ,comes with original wooden furniture and thumb hole buttstock which i quite like the look of ,And 2 mags,Is it a good quality AK .I could get saiga but its quite a bit more expensive$2000 and i don't like the plastic mags they use ,And they are expensive as. The 7 shot AK mags that come with the NHM-90 will also fit my SKS-m,Please give me your opinions or have i just answered my own questions

Quote Originally Posted by jerry2guns View Post
    Hi there i have been offered a brand new NHM-90 for a great price,$1350 ,comes with original wooden furniture and thumb hole buttstock which i quite like the look of ,And 2 mags,Is it a good quality AK .I could get saiga but its quite a bit more expensive$2000 and i don't like the plastic mags they use ,And they are expensive as. The 7 shot AK mags that come with the NHM-90 will also fit my SKS-m,Please give me your opinions or have i just answered my own questions
    saiga for $2000 ?!? you aren't from USA are you?

For $1350, you should be able to buy two NHM-90s and at least a thousand rounds of ammo. Saigas, depending on the model, can be had for $300 to $700.

Nothing wrong with NHM-90s. Personally, I prefer the more traditional configuration, but they're a good gun for the money ($500-$600, not $1350!).

Yeah i live in New Zealand so guns and ammo cost quite a bit ,A 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 would cost $600 ,And are kinda limited to the AK variations in NZ ,I just thought the NHM looked pretty good And mags are cheap $50 for a 7 rounder ,A 20 round Saiga mag will cost me $400 i kid you not.So i have to look for bargains ,The options i have in 7.62x39 are ,NHM-90 , Saiga ,and Molot vepr ,I would love an AR 15 or something like that but they will set me back $10,000,We are being robbed over here ,i tell ya ,Anyway what would be your ultimate choice of those three brands of AK

I'd rather have the NHM then the saiga at those prices... They are generally quality firearms. Whats the VEPR run IMO they are amongst the best AK variant going much better then either the Saiga or NHM.

What is the exchange rate between NZ and the US?
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Nam Hum Manufacture (NHM) carbines are "nice" provided they be like those dumped onto the North American civilian market eighteen- or so years ago.

We found they offer threaded barrels once their nosecones "fell off." Muzzle nut locks were left intact, a good thing.

They have straight cut receivers and so take to standard furniture. We appreciate its 1.6mm thick steel; a Saiga is 1mm.

You most likely will find a rivet emplaced under the magazine lock assembly designed to prevent the use of standard box magazines. It is easily remedied, figure it out yourself.

Sadly, someone was overzealous and milled away bits of the standard front sight assembly and gas cylinder (heaven alone knows why).

Hi guy cheers for your input ,The NHM which is $1350 NZD would be $989 USD So even me getting it at $1350 sounds steep by your standards,A Molot would cost me $1800 NZD which is $1319 USD ,I think the reason our prices are so high is because its very hard for our country to import these type of arms ,Something to do with the U.S State department,The NHM comes with a muzzle break fitted and the 2 spare mags so i like the sound of that ,In regards to cost i think i will have to go with the NHM ,But there is no reason that i wont add to my collection with some more AK's in the future ,Thank you very much for tour advice and i look forward to future conversations

Ah, New Zealand! I understand, now.

As I said earlier, the NHM is a good gun. I had one 90 and a 91, as well. Both were great. I guess it depends on what the market is like over there. I know availability can be a big issue, too.

Best of luck, mate!

John

Going to NZ is on my bucket list. Be great if I could pack a trunk load of cheeap AKs and pay for the trip that way. But nooooooooooooo, we can't do that.
    כד יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה, וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ. The LORD bless thee, and keep thee;
    כה יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וִיחֻנֶּךָּ. The LORD make His face to shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee;
    כו יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם. The LORD lift up His countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

I would be in heaven if you turned up on my door step with a trunk load of 30 rounders,NZ is certainly a great place to live

I have actually cancelled my AK order ,I love My SKS-M i just got and i really want to keep my Rem 700 SPS Varmint .243 heavy barrel,Which i was selling to fund the NHM,I think i still need a long range rifle in my cabinet,And think i would have been losing money selling the remmy to buy ti NHM , Thank you for all your advice though