Default 380 Mak Jamming with Winchester Flat Nose

I picked up a 100-round box of Winchester flat nosed (not hollow point) 380 at Wal-Mart or someplace a couple of months ago. I finally got around to trying some of it in one of my two Makarov 380s. There were three stove pipes out of twenty rounds fired. The stove pipes were one each for three of the five four-round magazines fired. Really stange. Up to now that Mak has functioned perfectly on every kind of ball, HP and whatever 380 that has been put in it. Each of my guns is cleaned after each use, so the probelm must be the flat nosed stuff. I haven't used any of the flat nosed in any of my other 380s yet, so we will see how it works in some other guns and I will file another report.

A friend told me that his Kel-Tec P3AT doesn't like the Winchester flat nosed either, but that it works fine with most any other round-nosed or HP ammo he has tried.
    Макаров во веки веков.

Your Mak should be less picky about what it eats than the Keltec. I've only shot a couple of boxes of the WinClean flat nosed stuff (without problem), but I have shot quite a bit of the Santa Barbara .380 flat nose, also without a hitch.

How many rounds have you put through the Mak in total, do you keep track? It could be you just need to break in the feed ramp some more.

Maks are not as picky as most autos when it comes to ammo. However, if the ammo don't work, then try another ammo.

Meanwhile, the best advice is to polish the feed ramp. The older Maks that are well broken in tend to swallow about anything you feed them.

Default Rounds fired

There have been less than 200 rounds through the Mak 380 in question. I will try the flat-nosed stuff in my other Mak 380 (it, too, has had only about 200 rounds through it) and in my other non-Mak 380 guns.
    Макаров во веки веков.

Have you polished the feed ramp. Some of them have a sharp edge that catches HPs.

Quote Originally Posted by wmabesore View Post
    I picked up a 100-round box of Winchester flat nosed (not hollow point) 380 at Wal-Mart or someplace a couple of months ago.
    Oddly, I got interested in Maks because two .380s (a P232 & an HSc) I bought were jamming with every .380 ammo I tried -- EXCEPT those flat nosed Winchesters. Maks had a reputation for reliability so I got interested in them.
    "The only time we see the middle of the road
    is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
    ----------------------------------------------------

Can't help you with the mak, but in defense of Kel-Tecs, my P3AT eats those winchester flat noses all day long.

On a side note, what does that design of bullet have over regular round nose ball ammo? Is it cheaper to make or something? I guess it'd have to be, otherwise why would it exist?
    Last edited by EchoKilo; 12-19-2007 at 10:40 AM.

380 Mak Jamming with Winchester Flat Nose
    This wouldn't be Winclean, would it? That's the only commercial ammo that ever gave my .380 Mak any problem.

Winclean is the flat nose.. I would not recommend polishing the feed ramp yet, run another 200-300 rounds of ball & JHP through it first. No 'fluffing' or 'buffing' is necessary with the Makarov.
    Last edited by Looter; 12-20-2007 at 01:50 AM.