Red face H&R Model 949 .22 caliber 9 shot revolver

This is my latest find, and I am very surprised as to how I acquired it. During vacation at Bear Creek Lake State Park in Virginia, a friend of my Dad's came to visit. He had a property nearby of about 10 acres and invited my dad, little brother, and I to shoot targets at his property. One of the guns we shot was an H&R Model 949 .22 caliber revolver. He let me wear it in an all leather western style side holster. It shot .22 shorts, and it was very fun to shoot. The only thing was it shot low to the right. But I really liked to shoot it and I let the owner know that it was a wonderful revolver. After awhile, he came over and asked when my birthday was, so I told him. He said "Darn, I missed your birthday, well, it's yours." and I was stunned. I can not describe how happy I was. He said he bought it when he was 22 for $100, and now he's 67 in the year 2010. So that means it's from around 1965 as the date of manufacture. The only thing is, I heard my Uncle say awhile ago that .22 short ammunition was hard to come by, so the store we bought the ammo to shoot with, I stopped by and bought another box of 100 rounds. It is in beautiful condition, the metal is nicely blued, and it's been well taken care of, except for the wooden handle, where it looks like the middle third of the wood (where it touches your palm, directly behind the hammer to the bottom of the handle) broke off. It looks like it was reattached, but the cracks are still visible, with the original wood. To tell you the truth, I don't care about that and am just happy to have received it. Also, if anyone has tips on how to adjust the fixed revolver sights, it would be very helpful. Will be posting picks of it when I get my camera working. It also has a transfer bar ignition so the hammer never strikes the pin without the trigger also being fully pulled which makes it safe to carry in the holster fully loaded, but you can't feather the hammer with the trigger pulled. And if anyone can find the year it was manufactured with the serial number, it would be greatly appreciated. The serial number is AN30393
    Last edited by Nate B; 08-14-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: more info
    I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning.

Our Wallyworld carries CCI shorts in 100 packs. Jim

I did a little more research and found out that it can also shoot .22 LRs, it just needs a cleaning so the LRs will fit again.

Cool deal.
    Clean the barrel out throughly too. I have both a 929 & a 949. My 929 had a bunch of lead build up, it was a smooth bore a small ways down the barrel.
    Here's a pic of the rear sight of my 949, it appears to be a dove tail affair, use an appropriate drift to tap it over.
    Can't help with the date.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails H & R rear sight, 949.jpg  

Thanks. I gave it a really good cleaning with a hoppes 9 .22 rifle kit. My mom had it and she said I could use it on the revolver. Anyway, I was shooting .22 LRs out of it all day today at the Izaac Walton shooting range on mount olive street. It is just a fun gun to shoot. When I shot it at about 15 feet before it was given to me, it looked like the sights were off by a couple of inches, but when I was shooting a swinging target at 25 yards, you could practically aim it straight, but still had to raise and move it to the left a bit, but still have the notch on target. Also, I don't have a drift or know anyone who does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H & R rear sight, 949, dot.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	285.8 KB 
ID:	343980Try using the head end of a finish nail wrapped in a rag and lightly tap in the area of the red dot. This way you won't run the risk of "staking" it.
    Depending on the style, a sight pusher may work too, if you know of someone that has one. Takes three hands tho.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sight pusher 003.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	286.5 KB 
ID:	343981

Also, this is probably a very rookie question, but can WD-40 safely be used as a good gun lubricant and protectant? Because the cleaning kit i have is out of lubricant and there isn't a store close by that sells lube for guns. All I have access to is a can of WD-40. So, can i use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate B View Post
    Also, this is probably a very rookie question, but can WD-40 safely be used as a good gun lubricant and protectant? Because the cleaning kit i have is out of lubricant and there isn't a store close by that sells lube for guns. All I have access to is a can of WD-40. So, can i use it?
    No, not really. It's better than nothing though, and you can safely use it as a stop gap measure till you get hold of something more suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate B View Post
    WD-40 has no lasting lubricant properties. Marvel Mystery Oil is thin, doesn't gum, and will continue to lubricate . Even 5W-20 motor oil will work, though you'll have to wick away excess oil. Some highly touted things like 3-in-1 oil eventually turn into gummy varnish. I use lacquer thinner to clean and Marvel Mystery to lube.

Finally got my hands on some breakfree CLP. And I made a custom belt holster from a piece of leather I had. Hand sewn by myself, and I think I did a pretty good job.