Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Steyr M95 (Budapest) Carbine Bolt Insertion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    180

    Default Steyr M95 (Budapest) Carbine Bolt Insertion

    Can someone direct me to on-line instructions for insertion of bolt for M95 Carbine? I removed bolt for cleaning and apparently it somehow released. I can't seem to get it back into proper insertiion mode. Is the safety involved in doing this? A site I often used is now charging for such info! Incredible..
    Thanks,
    TO

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default

    You have to pull the bolt head completely out( with a twisting motion) If the bolt head does not stay in the battery position , place a dime between the bolt head and the bolt.
    Just as the bolt is going into the receiver pull out dime

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Wayne37: Thanks for that useful tip. I haven't tried it yet but will try this PM.

    TO

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Wayne37, and Others -: I have tried your suggestion. I think there is something binding my bolt-head from turning. I assume this should be easily accomplished by thumb-forefinger pressure. I now have one forefinger puncture from yesterday and another from today! I also placed my bolt in a padded wooden vise and used a padded wrench to try to turn the bolt-heard. No luck. I did not want to force it too much.

    Then, on an impulse I tried it again with my fingers. It easily turned to allow the lugs to line up, but as i was placing it into the receiver it snapped out of battery again! I didn't get to insert the dime. I suspect something is binding, thus my earlier question about possible involvement of the safety. My safety is loose and flops from side to side, though it functions fine with the bolt in place. Another thought is that maybe the cocking piece should be pulled to a certain position before turning the bolt-head.

    I can't imagine a soldier going to such difficulty while the enemy is coming over the hill! Is there an English translation of an original manual somewhere on-line?

    Thanks,
    TO

  5. #5
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Where HAL-9000 was built
    Posts
    5,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T0 View Post
    ..
    I can't imagine a soldier going to such difficulty while the enemy is coming over the hill!
    The soldiers wouldn't be playing with their bolts if the enemy was coming over the hill.

    Quote Originally Posted by T0 View Post
    ..Is there an English translation of an original manual somewhere on-line?
    There is an English translation by Terence Lapin of the Italian manual for the M.95, check Amazon.com. That's the only English source that I am aware of - printed, that is.
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

    "Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

    "A який чоловiк горилку не пье - то вiн або хворий, або подлюка." - Невідомий українець

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T0 View Post
    Wayne37, and Others -: I have tried your suggestion. I think there is something binding my bolt-head from turning. I assume this should be easily accomplished by thumb-forefinger pressure. I now have one forefinger puncture from yesterday and another from today! I also placed my bolt in a padded wooden vise and used a padded wrench to try to turn the bolt-heard. No luck. I did not want to force it too much.

    Then, on an impulse I tried it again with my fingers. It easily turned to allow the lugs to line up, but as i was placing it into the receiver it snapped out of battery again! I didn't get to insert the dime. I suspect something is binding, thus my earlier question about possible involvement of the safety. My safety is loose and flops from side to side, though it functions fine with the bolt in place. Another thought is that maybe the cocking piece should be pulled to a certain position before turning the bolt-head.

    I can't imagine a soldier going to such difficulty while the enemy is coming over the hill! Is there an English translation of an original manual somewhere on-line?

    Thanks,
    TO
    Ive had a number of all differnet finicky bolt head symptoms over the years.

    The fact that you got the bolt head to turn and line up before snapping back is a step 1. OK.
    You just have to keep persistent with it.
    When you get it to turn out again, before attempting to put it thorough the raceway, put your dime in then.
    Only take the dime out when the lugs have passed through, and just into the receiver.
    A snapping bolt head out of the receiver is one thing, but if you've ever had it try and snap back in the middle of the raceway it may/will bind in the rails and have you whistling Dixie too.

    As per the safety, the looseness in the disengaged position is normal (bolt in or out).
    Also, the cocking piece should be screwed in/out enough so the back slotted end of the firing pin is flush with the cocking piece hole.
    Last edited by GOEX FFF; 08-20-2010 at 11:26 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/GOEXFFF/M95-GB-Sig_zps155b6df9.jpg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Problem Solved! I found that, at least in this case, a slight manipulation of the cocking piece allowed movement of the bolt head lugs to solidly align with the bolt body lugs. I did not use the dime trick as I had found the apparent problem which I think I could now repeat the solution if necessary. I did juggle the bolt around and dropped it to see if it would release. It held solidly, so I carefully inserted it. All seems to work properly.

    One question while on the subject. This bolt has always been very difficult to retract. Is that normal for this rifle? I usually brace the stock against my thigh to work it. It feeds and fires normally, with no apparent headspace problems.

    Thanks for the advice. I've saved it for future reference.

    TO

  8. #8
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Where HAL-9000 was built
    Posts
    5,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T0 View Post
    One question while on the subject. This bolt has always been very difficult to retract. Is that normal for this rifle?
    No, a properly maintained action is as smooth as butter. There could be at least two reasons for your problem:
    1. Main spring is too strong. If this is the case, the Bulgarian Mannlicher repair manual recommends cutting off one coil off the spring.
    2. Recessed area of the receiver where the locking lugs contact it. If this is the case only a gunsmith can fix it. This requires removing the barrel, milling off the surface to remove the recess, screwing back the barrel, adjusting the headspace. If you are lucky, you only replace the bolt head, which comes in three different sizes - L, M & K (L = Lange, long; M = Mittel, middle; K = Kurz, short).
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

    "Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

    "A який чоловiк горилку не пье - то вiн або хворий, або подлюка." - Невідомий українець

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Nick:

    Very interesting! I'm not about to remove that bolt again any time soon. It is possible the spring is too strong considering the pressure i had to exert even when the bolt head did finally lock up. I may have a gunsmith check it.

    Thanks.

    TO

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Been there done that ! Had to put it in a vice grip to get the dime in. Works flawlessly now that the bolt is in. Good question about putting the bolt back in during combat. Maybe that's how they lost the war!

  11. #11
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Where HAL-9000 was built
    Posts
    5,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson Hornet View Post
    ... Good question about putting the bolt back in during combat. Maybe that's how they lost the war!
    You only remove the bolt if the feldwebel tells you so. Have you served with the military?
    Last edited by Nick; 08-22-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

    "Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

    "A який чоловiк горилку не пье - то вiн або хворий, або подлюка." - Невідомий українець

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    It's everything...
    Posts
    5,701

    Default

    Probably not during bolt action days...
    No one ever got into Valhalla unarmed.

  13. #13
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Where HAL-9000 was built
    Posts
    5,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poot View Post
    Probably not during bolt action days...
    I also served after the "bolt action days". Nobody was allowed to pull the gun apart at will, there are NCO's who regulate & monitor the process of inspection and cleaning.
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

    "Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

    "A який чоловiк горилку не пье - то вiн або хворий, або подлюка." - Невідомий українець

  14. #14

    Default

    Next lesson: The 1888 bolt, removal, installation and getting the skin out of the crevasses.
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    California
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T0 View Post
    One question while on the subject. This bolt has always been very difficult to retract. Is that normal for this rifle? I usually brace the stock against my thigh to work it. It feeds and fires normally, with no apparent headspace problems.
    Before you take any drastic measures don't forget to check these out:

    http://www.ryngate.org/M95/

    -Palimino
    "The bullet is no respecter of fine uniforms." -Russian Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •