Default Long brass tube rifle sight

First of all, what is the proper name for the long brass tubular rifle sight as seen on the Sharpes rifle used in The Outlaw Jose Wales.
    Does anyone use this sight their percussion rifle? How well do they work? Since my eyesight is getting a little mature, I thought one of these sights would correct the problem of focusing on two iron sights at a time. I know they didn't have magnification, but are there cross hairs inside? Naturally, where can I find one? Comments anyone? Thanks
    Marv

They can be used on a percussion rifle. You can try here for starters:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,213.html

Misfit,
    I have one of them hanging on the wall just above my computer screen in the office, it's an older Dixie Guns Works scope that I got several years ago that was made by Tasco, it's even stamped on the tube and end-caps. Anyway it is 4X with cross-hairs and it works quite well for what it is. The reason that it is hanging on the wall is I am in the middle of of building an "over the log gun" (a 35 lb black powder rifle) and it is reserved for that project. The name of the scope is a "Malcomb" telescopic sight, and they do come in various lengths.

CAD

Thanks for the info. After going to Buffalo Arms, I got a real education. Could you imagine if William Malcolm could know that knock offs of his invention are going for over $600! Why, that could by a 100 acres of land and then some!
    Marv

i bought a 3x malcom for a little sharps and it was a bitch to zero and you had to keep making small adjustments to it. i realy wished it would have worked out, i,m going to a 6x or 8x unertl 3/4 inch tube made for a rimfire with recoil spring. pictures are of the sharps with the malcon on it eastbank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 004.jpg   Picture 1532.jpg   Picture 005.jpg   Picture 006.jpg   Picture 1531.jpg  

Jim Leatherwood is making them for around $420 or so. Go to his sight site and have a look.

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund
    I am an international Gunboards patron

I just had my Uberti scoped. Have yet to make it to the range, though. Scope is 6x, 32 inch that I picked upon Ebay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hawken 002.jpg  

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do
    not.."~ Elmer Fudd......

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

What is your little Sharps chambered in?
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

the little sharps is chambered in 44-40 win., i realy like the rifle and it shoots very well and deserves a good scope and i wish the 3x malcom was it,but it was not. i just could not keep it zeroed. it shoots better with the factory peep sight,but i wished for a low powered scope that would fit the small profile of the little sharps. eastbank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 101.jpg  

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    the little sharps is chambered in 44-40 win., i realy like the rifle and it shoots very well and deserves a good scope and i wish the 3x malcom was it,but it was not. i just could not keep it zeroed. it shoots better with the factory peep sight,but i wished for a low powered scope that would fit the small profile of the little sharps. eastbank.
    I was considering one, until budgetary reality set in. They look to be really neat. I think I'd like one in 32-20.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Probably the most popular scope used in Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette Matches is the Montana Vintage Arms models. www.montanavintagearms.com I use the 28" Series 3000, 6x with standard cross hairs. I believe it to be one of the best on the market, altho' they are a little on the high $$ side.