Default Canadian marked New Service

I'm picking up a WW1 era Colt New Service 5.5" barrel .455 with the C and broad arrow mark for Canadian military service. Unfortunately the piece was rechambered to .45 Colt so the price has been accordingly adjusted downward. Was the Colt a standard issue item for the WW1 Canadian army? I know the Brits bought them and the SW Triple Lock. Did they supply some of their purchases to the Canadians?

I don't have my reference at hand so this is off the top of my head. Colt New Services were purchased for the Northwest Mounted Police and foe Canadian military unit during the Boar War and during World War 1. I think both .455 Webley (elly) and .45 Colt were purchased. I know that .45 Colt revolvers were in use during World War 2 as I have a couple of Canadian military boxes of .45 Colt made during WW2.
    The Wizard
    Air Dropable AND Ground Recoverable
    Necat Omnes! Deus Suos Agnoscet.
    The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
    I'm picking up a WW1 era Colt New Service 5.5" barrel .455 with the C and broad arrow mark for Canadian military service. Unfortunately the piece was rechambered to .45 Colt so the price has been accordingly adjusted downward. Was the Colt a standard issue item for the WW1 Canadian army? I know the Brits bought them and the SW Triple Lock. Did they supply some of their purchases to the Canadians?
    Got it a little confused old boy.

The Canadian Gov't purchased 45acp 1911s@1913-1915, .455 Colt New Services, .455 S&W "triple locks" & 2nd Model Hand Ejectors for itself during and before WWI (@1914-1917).

Purchased Colt Revolvers chambered in .45 Colt:

1878 revolvers in @1883-85 & 1900-01
    New Service Revolvers in 1900-02
    New Service Revolvers in 1939-40

The only Colt revolvers which I'm aware of the British supplying were the "Upper Canada" and "Lower Canada" 1851 Navy revolvers purchased @1856

The NWMP/RNWMP/RCMP orders are totally separate, and were from @1900-1939/43 for Colt New Service revolvers chambered in both .455 & .45 Colt.

Picked up the revolver today. It is marked on the barrel with the original .455 caliber and also CAL .45 COLT. Each of the chambers has what looks like a proof mark between each opening. Was it re-proofed when rechambered or was that original to the revolver? Canadian property mark on the right side of the frame and a tiny crossed pennants and a tiny broad arrow and crown mark. Nice shape, about 75% finish remaining, pristine bore and chambers. S.N. on this one is 131,xxx

Quote Originally Posted by lee enfield View Post
    ...The only Colt revolvers which I'm aware of the British supplying were the "Upper Canada" and "Lower Canada" 1851 Navy revolvers purchased @1856

The NWMP/RNWMP/RCMP orders are totally separate, and were from @1900-1939/43 for Colt New Service revolvers chambered in both .455 & .45 Colt.
    To show that nothing is ever easy, I am looking at a WW1 period Colt New Service .455 with typical British Broad Arrow Enfield inspection/acceptance mark (no commerical proofs). It has the C Broad arrow by the left rear trigger guard and the back strap is marked (C / 6.21 / 3 Coy. / 13.C.M.G.B. / 100 ). Probable translation: Canada June 1921 Third Company 13th Canadian Machine Gun Batallion Weapon # 100.

After all this is is also marked on the back strap R.N.W.M.P. It is not in the Klancher/Phillips book by serial number as it entered the RCMP inventory via England.

In the current issue of Guns & Ammo's Military Surplus magazine, there is an article on these very guns (NWMP Colt New Service). Pretty interesting. FYI.
    "Enough is enough. Die, Castro!" - Dennis Miller

Knew a WWII vet who said there were .455 S&W and Colt NS on issue in Canada to his unit until mid 1942.

If you can send me a serial number, I do have Don Klanchers book with RCMP serial number listings

Took the revolver to the range today. Tried some .455 rounds in it, accuracy was good, recoil mild. switched to .45 Colt rounds. Accuracy as good, recoil heavier (as expected). On about the 5th cylinder full when cocking the hammer back single action it failed to lock back. When I released the hammer the revolver fired. Fortunately it was pointed downrange but it startled the heck out of me. After that the trigger randomly wasn't returning unless pressure put on it, the hammer would fail to lock back and even the cylinder latch would not open. something must have come adrift or broken inside. Sigh.....

So, I took the side plate off, observed the action as I worked it and noticed a little doohicky that slides up and down and blocks the cylinder release from sliding to the rear when the action is cocked. Took out the mainspring, the arm that pushes the cylinder around (don't you love this precise technical talk?) and the trigger. There is a pin on the trigger that fits into a slot of the doohicky that blocks the cylinder release. Things weren't where they needed to be so I put that right, pulled out some threads of steel wool (guess a previous owner had also opened it up) cleaned out some oil, added some oil, put it all back together. After lots of cocking and easing the hammer and opening and closing the cylinder everything seems to be functioning fine. The trigger returns fine also. Guess I will find out next time I shoot it.
    Last edited by smle-man; 09-17-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: updated information