Gunboards Forums banner

New Sokolov Mount

9K views 58 replies 9 participants last post by  Kirby 
#1 ·
Just picked up this Sokolov Mount with the different pattern of controling the elevation and depression.

This example features a pin and three holes rather than the usual slot and clamping bolt.

Quite why it was produced and what possible advantages it could offer over the usual pattern is questionable.

The mount has the Tula mark and I would date it to the 1930's.

Any comments? Are there any examples in the states. They do appear fairly commonly in photographs if you loook.

Attachments

See less See more
#54 ·
Max,
Thanks for sharing the covers of the manuals, I am looking for the following manuals in Russian :-

Colt 1911 manual
Colt 1896 MG manual
Lewis Gun Manual

Plus any other WW1 era / early Soviet manuals that reference captured or Allied supplied WW1 period weapons

I already have a Russian Schwarzlose 07/12 manual from 1916/17

Thx

DavidA

#56 ·
David,
i have Lewis manuals in Russian, one dated 1916 (ground gun) and another dated 1924 (aircraft observer gun). Both are in PDF format. Please contact me off-site amd maybe we will trade files ;)

Also have 1912-dated manual for Maxim M1910 and mounts (in JPG format), but resolution is quite small (although readable on the screen)

#55 ·
Neil,
Just back from a trip away, delayed by the weather.

I will email you a copy tomorrow.

My main sphere of interest in Maxims is really up to the 1930's. However my feeling is that the last model feedblocks on the Ukrainian 1910's appear to be far superior in quality to other wartime feedblocks I have seen.

This make me think that they were made postwar when the 1910's were refurnbished and put into store or supplied to China and Korea.

As this moves to US ETO, it would be good to know more about Korean War / VN period US military bring backs, no doubt there are examples in US collections / museums that would provide more information, marks, dates, quality, number matching etc.

Perhaps Max may have a view

Regards

#58 ·
I guess I'm a little late to the thread but I have seen some of the later WWII type mounts made of cast iron or steel that have the 3 hole gross elevation adjustment setup. One of them had a number like those found on the wartime guns with a code and 3 digits-ie шн 243. I recall selling a couple of them a few years back for Ohio Ord and other than the holes in place of the curved slot they didn't look any different than the rest. None of them were brass that I recall. Maybe there are more mystery types out there. Hard to say what the russians did as the guns and mounts were made in a number of places and at times where getting them out the door was more important than having everything the same.

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.