Gunboards Forums banner

30/30 reticle

12K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  700PSS Shooter 
#1 ·
I've got a 6.5-20 x 50mm scope on my hunting rifle that I'm replacing for various reasons. It has a standard reticle. I've been researching scopes for the past 3 months and a friend just told me about Konus pro. He said he's sold about 100 and not one has come back. The reticle is etched in the glass. He shoots a 50 cal and it's holding up fine which is amazing considering it's a $100.00 6 -24 x 44mm scope. His leapold lost the cross hairs in two shots. 1200.00 in the garbage.

Question: I need the 30/30 reticle for rangefinding. How do you use it with a 6-24 scope. They say the 30/30 reticle is to be used on 4x to rangefind. Is a scope linear when turned to 8 power? Would I use half the thin reticle for a deer at 100 yards? (konus pro has a 6-24 x 44mm with a 30/30 reticle)

#2 ·
I've used what I call the Du-plex reticle for many years as a range finder. Its the common one where the cross hairs go from broad to narrow in the center. When turned to 8x a mature whitetail bucks chest will be bracketed between the terminations of the thick hairs(top to bottom) at 100 yds. When a doe steps out I crank it down to 7x. At 200 yds the bucks chest will be between the center cross and the end of a thick hair. At three hundred its half that. This holds true only with scopes that don't change the size of the cross hairs as you crank the power. All you need to know to make the system work are the backbone to brisket measurements of your quarry. Then go to the range and mark out those measurements on paper. Step back 100 yds and crank the scope till it brackets the marks. Then hunt with that setting.

#3 ·
Leupolds have a lifetime guarantee, so I hope your friend sent it back.

I could find very little information on Konus Riflescopes, except that they are made in China.

#4 · (Edited)
nope

Nope...they wouldn't honor the warranty because a 50 cal took out the cross hairs. Don't ask me why. He sells large amounts of stuff each year...big buyer. That was a big mistake on their part. He's spreading the news.

I can't wait to try the scope....I read a review from the 2006 shot show...the guy said they were the sleeper pick of 2006.

Here's their website:
http://www.konususa.com/

I really didn't think anything good came out of China but maybe I'm wrong. I know etched reticles aren't usually cheap. The "konus pro" line are the etched reticle scopes

#6 · (Edited)
My experience with chinese made scopes has been that the quality varies greatly. Some are very well designed, some not, but quality control is often a problem for all.

For example, I just mounted a Tasco 2x7 Worldclass on a rifle. It was stuck on 2 power. Finally took the adjusting ring off, found it had been assembled with the hole in the internal brass adjusting ring, that a bolt in the external ring was supposed to fit in, rotated out of sight under the scope body.

I pushed the ring into place, it now works fine, and the optical quality and repeatability are excellent. But how did it ever get past the most cursory inspection?

Nevertheless they are so cheap that I keep buying them. Last month my son got an illuminated reticule Barska 2x7 (no long range shooting here), mounted on a Rem 760, .30/06 and has already taken a deer and a hog with it. The same thing in an American, European or jap made scope would cost 4 times as much, at least.

Correction - Leupold's unlimited warrant is only for "gold ring" products. Green ring is limited to original owner and doesn't cover abuse, and the various tactical products have a seperate, different warranty. I'd also guess that the warranty fine print, which I don't have, excludes some use and abuse, maybe 50 cals specifically on that scope.

#7 ·
Elliott Brothers

I believe they are distributing. Send an email to the konus website. Actually, I just saw a Barska that has a etched reticle. I think it's the new up and coming chinese thing....it may make a typical chinese scope bad reticle, bad adjustment problem go away.

#8 ·
The Chinese are making inroads in the scope business. There have been rumors that some Leupolds, parts at least, are made in China. And it looks like the Phillippines are now coming on. My 2 new Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40 scopes are made there. Not yet mounted but VERY bright, clear optics and a useable, non cluttering BDC reticule. Golden Monarch quality at half the (discount) price.

Japan seems about defunct. Of the entire Nikko-Stirling line only the Diamonds are made in Japan. Even the one on the cover of the NRA store catalogue is made in China!

And the European stuff is insanely expensive.

As far as reticules go nobody I know has ever lost one. Usually the adjustment mechanism fails from recoil shock or the seals crack, so I'm not worrying about them.

#10 · (Edited)
I always find the poo-pooing of Leupold (or other well recognized quality line) by the purveyors of cheap PRC scopes or by folks who do not carry the Leupold or other quality line to be suspiciously self-serving. Anything goes wrong with a Leupold, they WILL FIX IT, period. Best warranty out there and it will be fixed fast. I will willingly take that $1200 Leupold scope from the proverbial garbage off his hands and have it repaired. I challenge you to find a repair or warrantee service on these cheaper offshore (PRC) scopes other than they will send a new one (assuming they are even making your model anymore, or are still in business).

50 caliber recoil is big, but it you want to find durable, ask if it is warranteed for magnum spring airgun use. Much harder than any powder rifle. Very few scope manufacturers will specifically say it is designed for that. Leupold does say their 3-9X33 EFR and the VXIII 6.5X20 EFR models are OK for spring guns.

The rumor of PRC parts in Leupold is just that. Proof is lacking. By proof I mean documentable evidence, not gunshow BS, not gun rag writer's secret sources, or forum opinions. Origin of parts is required. Do you think major US manufacturers would sell gun and auto parts labeled "Made is PRC" or "Made is Korea" if they did not have to. If you could sneak PRC parts in, I am sure Nikon would love to say "Made in USA" or "Made in Japan," but they comply with the law (and their stellar optics reputation) and say "Made in PRC." Gun and car folks tend to like the concept of buying American (they may not be able to, but they talk about it... ;)) Again, please see the first sentence of paragraph one.

Etched reticles are not new. There are pluses and minuses, but a cheap etched reticles will glint and show refractions. A good one is superbe. They are durable, but so is a welded mil-dot.

I would certainly buy a Nikon or other brand name with a "Made in PRC" label if I liked it, as I can count on their reputation for service. However these gunshow discount specials with no US support network, or a distributor of the month with no track record -- forget it unless it was as a cheap throw-away or a test.

Remember that old adage of the bitter taste of junk far outlasting the sweet taste of quality. Find your balance and price point and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.