Default What is this Japanese Mauser?

Just looking through the catalogue of an upcoming auction here in Australia and have seen a listing for a "Japanese Mauser 98 B/A". I've never heard of such a thing and was wondering if anyone here could help identify it. A picture of the rifle can be found at http://www.australianarmsuctions.com...e_online_1.htm - it is item number 37.

JAPANESE MAUSER 98 B/A MILITARY RIFLE: 8mm; 5 shot; 29" barrel; exc bore; fitted with Arisaka type dust cover; Koishikawa arsenal marked; straight bolt handle; 80% blue metal finish; exc wood with lt wear; trap in butt plate; Japanese characters & inscriptions; exc wo & cond. #206 L/R
    Last edited by TP; 09-02-2010 at 07:23 AM.

Siamese Mauser, made in Japan, cal. 8x50R originally, probably converted later to 8x52R as were most.

Hi Yankee, welcome to the Gunboards Military Mauser Forum. Thanks to tplan who has answered your question accurately.

You might want to read the Rules for the Military Mauser Forum at:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...1849-The-Rules

Rule #6 states "Do not post of ongoing auctions. You may post when auctions are completed but no mention or promoting of auction items is allowed."

I have edited your link so that it no longer works, sorry but the rules are the rules. I tried to leave the photo link active but couldn't get it to work. It is a good rifle and hope that tplan's reply will answer your question and be all of the help you need. Keep posting and enjoy your Gunboards membership.

Here are some pictures of my Siamese Mauser. Haven't been able to stir up any ammo for it, so no range report

Quote Originally Posted by ozzieshtr View Post
    ...about the only use for them unless you are a die-hard collector who must have one - lol
    That's me! Of course the same can be said of many beautiful old Mauser rifles.

glad somone asked that question,cause i was reading the catalouge and didnt know either!!

Aussie

Its what appears to be a type 66 (1923) Siamese Mauser in 8x52R. The type 45's (1903) were in the original 8x50R Siamese. Main way to tell is to look at the sight bases. The Type 45's are "humped" to accommodate the slower velocity of the 8x50 round.

Here is my type 45 for comparison:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00999.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	350059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01000.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	350058
    Ike
    "Hope is not a strategy"
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ike27 View Post
    Aussie

Its what appears to be a type 66 (1923) Siamese Mauser in 8x52R. The type 45's (1903) were in the original 8x50R Siamese. Main way to tell is to look at the sight bases. The Type 45's are "humped" to accommodate the slower velocity of the 8x50 round.

Here is my type 45 for comparison:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00999.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	350059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01000.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	350058
    I believe the Type 66 is actually the Siamese Arisaka originally made in 8x52R, while the Type 46s were rechambered from 8x50R to 8x52R. You are correct that the visible difference between the two chamberings of the Mauser is the rear sight.
    Nice rifle, it's not eay to find these in the original chambering.

John

They can be converted to 45/70. The action is strong enough where you can load 45/70 to 458 Win Mag specs. Approached slowly of course

No offense to anyone, but converting to another cartridge would be commpletely inappropriate and a complete waste of time and resources. Please leave it as is.

I Agree with TP. Leave it as is. But then again.. I reload for the 8x50R Siamese as well as others.. so reloading is the way to keep in the original game if manufactured in unavailable.
    Ike
    "Hope is not a strategy"
    NRA Life Member