Dear All - at this moment there is a clip going the rounds showing an ATGM being fired at an oncoming tank, the hit and the tank bursting into violent flames.
Here is the text - and here is the clip that I first saw in 1987 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ARjuTKdiIk
'What you are about to watch is an actual event. Our forces filmed
this in actual time. What you are about to see is a fully armored
Syrian tank being hit by an Israeli laser-guided, steel-penetrating,
phosphorous-filled "hand held" rocket. The rocket is small, very
portable and is a tightly controlled weapon, each one is accounted for
when they are checked out and back in. There must be no fewer than
2 soldiers present to verify the use, one must be a senior officer with a
minimum of 10 years military service. (Sorry, the name and program is
This tank was headed for one of Israel 's settlements, there were four
more tanks one mile to the rear of this tank. (They turned around
before getting to this area.)
You can hear the ammunition going off after the initial strike. No tank
member survived this event. this event did not make the news, it is an
everyday event for our forces and we do not "embed" news sources with
our armed forces like the Americans do. This is for our survival, not for
I'm here to tell you that this report is total CRAP.
1. The missile is the Swedish Bofors RBS-56 BOFORS BILL - the first 'top-attack' SACLOS ATGM in the world.
2. The date is around 1986 and the location is the BOFORS AB live-firing test range in Sweden - you can hear the Swedish WOC if you listen hard.
3. The target tank is a retired Centurion and is it radio-controlled.
4. It has doctored munitions to give an impressive result.
5. The clip can be seen on the video 'World Missiles and Missile Systems'.
Please read up on BOFORS BILL on google or Youtube.
Supporter of the Cape meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund