Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington, Ohio
    Posts
    71

    Default H & R Ultra slug hunter misfire problem?

    My brother in law just bought a used H & R Ultra slug hunter (20 Ga) from our local outfitter store. We are both excited about the accuracy potential of the simple action combined with that super thick barrel.

    My B-I-L is a very experienced deer hunter with his moss 500 with a smooth slug barrel and has always had success with the rifled slugs. We understand that he should use the sabot ammo with this gun and we know that there will be experimentation to find what specific round will work best.

    Q1: Does anyone have recommendations for what sabot rounds he should try first? (sabots are expensive and he does not want to have to buy a couple boxes of EVERY load out there.)

    Q2: We have read at other forums, reports that some shooters have had a problem with the USH having intermittent misfires (clearly not desirable while hunting). Does anyone here know anything about this? How common is this? What are the best options for repair?

    any advice would be useful... Thankyou all for your time....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Union, Wa
    Posts
    565

    Default

    My wife has had the NEF Tracker II in 20 gauge (the NEF version of your Ultra Slug) for 10 years. Never once had a misfire and she uses it every year. If yours has misfires, I would check the firing pin first and then shim the hammer spring. Why the firing pin first? I had a double O/U that I used for Sporting Clays and it beat up the firing pins with all the rounds thru the gun.

    For ammo we have been using Federal Premium Slug Sabots in the 3" and 5/8 oz. Htdra-Shok HP Magnum variety. 2 MOA at 50 years and double that at 100 yards (but there has never even been a 50 yard shot while hunting, 40 yards being the longest. All one shot stops as well.
    Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

    "God must love stupid people. He made SO many."


    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/Bear-45-70/P4130002a.jpg

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    My girlfriend and I bought her son a 20 gauge Ultra Slug gun last year. We shot a lot of different manufacturers slugs, both 2 3/4" and 3", through that gun. The one it shot the best was the 2 3/4" Lightfield EXP. One of the guys at Williams Gunsight I talked to, said that in his experience, these guns seem to like the 2 3/4" slugs better because of the slower velocity. The length of barrel and rate of twist can't stabilize a slug that is traveling 1700 to 1800 fps as well as one traveling 1500 to 1600 fps. Physics.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default H & R Ultra Slug Hunter Misfire

    Yes, I have had the problem that you describe regarding the USH misfiring. I just recently contacted H & R about the issue. Apparently, there is an engineering flaw or design problem with their transfer bar mechanism. They are supposed to be sending me a UPS shipping label so that I can send to one of their authorized service centers for "updating" as they put it.

    Their phone number is (866) 776-9292 or fax is (336) 548-7801 and their web site is www.hr1871.com.

    Don't be fulled that your ammunition is faulty as I thought. You will be messing with live ammunition with a slightly dented primer.

    As far as what types of sabots shoot best. My USH seems to shoot Remington Copper Solids the best. It did not like Hornady SST sabots at all. It seems that the USH has a barrel twist rate that will not stabilize the sabot. In the end, the best thing to do, I think, is to purchase a couple of boxes of each type of sabot that you wish to try. Take them to the range and find out which one your gun likes best. It helps to have a shooting rest that will absorb the recoil because your shoulder won't be able to take all of the shock and your groupings will be affected.

    Hope this helps. At least it saves someone else from going through what I have learned.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Union, Wa
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rgann1969 View Post
    ...........................Take them to the range and find out which one your gun likes best. It helps to have a shooting rest that will absorb the recoil because your shoulder won't be able to take all of the shock and your groupings will be affected..................................
    Ain't that just the ever lovin' truth. You ought to try this exercise with a Mossberg 695 3" 12 Ga. some time. Black and blue shoulder was the result and bought a good shooting rest the next week.
    Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

    "God must love stupid people. He made SO many."


    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/Bear-45-70/P4130002a.jpg

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington, Ohio
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Thankyou for your replies, so far my BIL has had some accuracy success with the SST in his with no misfires yet.

    Now if only I could figure out how to get my moss 500 rifled to shoot straight.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reaper View Post
    Thankyou for your replies, so far my BIL has had some accuracy success with the SST in his with no misfires yet.

    Now if only I could figure out how to get my moss 500 rifled to shoot straight.
    I have owned my 12 ga. H&R Ultra Slug for just over 3 years now. I currently have a 3x9 Nikon Slughunter scope mounted on it and I think this combination is about as close to perfect as you can get. My Ultra Slug seems to prefer 3" Federal Hydra Shock sabots. From a sandbagged benchrest, at 50 yds I can usually get a single jagged hole for a grouping - at 100 yds. a cloverleaf - at 150 yds a 2.25 inch group and at 200 yds a 3.25 to 3.50 inch group. I am convinced that my gun will shoot far better than I can hold.

    You need to understand that every barrel can prefer a different sabot slug. For example, my son owns a slug-gun/scope combo that is an exact duplicate to mine and his setup prefers Winchester Platinum Tips. We have both tried many different sabots and you are right, it can get quite expensive. Three members of the group we hunt with all bought Ultra Slugs setups at the same time from the same dealer (got a slight price break). We all split the cost of the sabot slugs to test fire so it didn't cost any of us as much as it might have otherwise. It also helped that the dealer gave us a big price break on the ammo because of the total dollars we spent at that time.

    For what it is worth, I keep my mossberg 500 around for home defense but it is H&R Ultra Slug 100% of the time when I hunt. Maybe you could trade your Mossberg in on a nice Ultra Slug setup. Don't get fixated on the multi-shot capability because 99% of the time, after the first shot, the deer is either down or gone anyway!

    By the way, I ended-up adding a Limbsaver recoil pad to my Ultra Slug and it makes a world of difference in felt recoil. I can shoot 3" slugs all day now if I wanted to.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    We're gonna need a bigger boat.
    Posts
    10,326

    Default

    Thanks for your comment Graywolf. Welcome to gunboards!
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

  9. #9

    Default

    I just had this happen to me last week with my 20gauge H&R. I was sighting in a scope on the gun, buddy gave it to me. So I am heading to Ohio this weekend for their 2nd season. Started throwing some shots, all over the place. Got a new scope arriving today! But out of the 20 Federal Vital Shok 3" 5/8z brnes tipped expander, I had 3 shells dimpled slighly and did not go off. Now the other shells had a wider dimple in the primer. So I didn't think something was right and took it Friday to the gunsmith to check out. Googled issues and this thread popped up so had to join to check it out. Hoping its a simple & quick fix or got to pull out the dreaded Mossberg 500a and take a beating..

    PS. When testing which ammo flies best, are u sighting in with it or once gun is sighted in, swapping ammo to see which tightens up your groups? I will need to sight in the new scope but not sure what ammo to start with but want to shoot whichever flies better.
    Last edited by Bowhuntnsteve; 12-12-2011 at 08:06 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Oldsmar, FL (Tampa Bay)
    Posts
    23,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear 45/70 View Post
    Ain't that just the ever lovin' truth. You ought to try this exercise with a Mossberg 695 3" 12 Ga. some time. Black and blue shoulder was the result and bought a good shooting rest the next week.
    First, a lot of stocks have too long a length of pull. You should be able to lay the last joint of your trigger right across the trigger without stretching with the butt in the pocket of your shoulder. Cut the butt to fit in your hunting clothes.
    But when you do this and try to sight in crouching down over a bench the effective length of pull gets longer, the butt gets out of the pocket and it hurts again. Solution is to have the bench so you can shoot in an upright position but most nobody sets up a range like that..
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Union, Wa
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjk308 View Post
    First, a lot of stocks have too long a length of pull. You should be able to lay the last joint of your trigger right across the trigger without stretching with the butt in the pocket of your shoulder. Cut the butt to fit in your hunting clothes.
    But when you do this and try to sight in crouching down over a bench the effective length of pull gets longer, the butt gets out of the pocket and it hurts again. Solution is to have the bench so you can shoot in an upright position but most nobody sets up a range like that..
    Well, I have a 5'4" wife that requires every gun she owes to have a shortened length of pull, so for 35 years I have know this stuff and I can promise you that none of my guns have a too long a LOP. During hunting season here, Last half of October it rarely freezes, so hunting clothes are not all that heavy. So LOP is not the issue. It is the 3" magnums. Hell, the gun has a ported barrel from the manufacture for a reason.
    Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

    "God must love stupid people. He made SO many."


    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/Bear-45-70/P4130002a.jpg

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I lost a deer due to the fact that when i pulled trigger nothing happened? I opened shell came out and shell primer had a dent, tried this 3 times as the deer of a life time walked across a field in Western Illinois looking back at my blind wondering what that noise was. I was really mad and sent the accutip shells back to Remmington and they said it was the gun. I just sent it back to H and R and they are going to fix. I am frustraed with this as the gun worked great on the range then the first shot i try to take out of blind it does not fire. We will see what they come up with. Will post later after i get back.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Union, Wa
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McGinn View Post
    I lost a deer due to the fact that when i pulled trigger nothing happened? I opened shell came out and shell primer had a dent, tried this 3 times as the deer of a life time walked across a field in Western Illinois looking back at my blind wondering what that noise was. I was really mad and sent the accutip shells back to Remmington and they said it was the gun. I just sent it back to H and R and they are going to fix. I am frustraed with this as the gun worked great on the range then the first shot i try to take out of blind it does not fire. We will see what they come up with. Will post later after i get back.
    Yeah and Remington would never lie.
    Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

    "God must love stupid people. He made SO many."


    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/Bear-45-70/P4130002a.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •