Thread: AMMO: Question about Norma .22 lr ?

Default AMMO: Question about Norma .22 lr ?

Unbeknownst to the larger rest of the world, Norma continues to produce .22 lr ammunition. I have never seen them imported anywhere (outside Scandinavia).

I have now just seen the prices for the two Norma brands on the Swedish Skytteprylen website:

N 15613 Norma 1 .22/ 1000 st 1770,00 kr
    N 15614 Norma 2 .22/ 1000 st 450,00 kr

And now please compare that to the prices of top-notch RWS match ammo:

RWS R 100 /1000 st 1900,00 kr
    RWS R50/1000 st 1700,00 kr
    RWS Rifle Match/ 1000 st 820,00 kr
    RWS Target Rifle/ 1000 st 660,00 kr
    RWS Pistol Match/ 1000 st 820,00 kr

Okay, is the [b]Norma 1[/1] really that good, as to warrant such a price that puts it into the same category as RWS R50, previous SK S50, Eley Tenex, Lapua Midas ?

Could any Swedish competitors here add their insight and own experience with Norma rimfire ammo?

Many thanks,
    Carcano

Norma doesn't make any .22 rimfire ammo themselves. If I remember correctly, I think RWS manufactures the Norma .22's.
    So the quality and pricing of the Norma ammo should mirror that of RWS.

I have little experience myself with the Norma .22's. Not out of preference, but simply because the dealers I regularly buy ammo from seldom has it in stock. This has also caused me to turn into a hardcore Eley man.

As for quality in general I am of the opinion that, when it comes to .22's, finding a brand and batch that your gun likes is much more important than the brand itself, it's reputation or price tag.

Pettson
    Last edited by Pettson; 09-14-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Dear Pettson, many thanks for your kind response.

This of course could explain it. Ammunition production these days is a worldwide conglomerate and opaque mutual exchange process, and one never knows where the components for one's ammo actually came from. Norma has made cases for Sako cartridges, e.g.

So, it should not surprise me either to learn that Norma has "its" .22 rimfire ammunition produced by some other firm who knows how to do it.
    On the other hand, under the German "RWS" brandname, one can also encounter steel-cased (but nickel-or brass-plated) practice ammo (RWS Sport) that is definitely not made in Germany, because the two German factories have no drawing facilities for steel cases - so maybe these are made in Russia and stamped RWS?).

Anyhow, the so-called "Norma 1" is probably produced to similar specifications as RWS' own R 50, I suppose.

Best regards and thanks,
    Carcano