Default gahendra carbine

I'll start it , were gonna need a new hack saw blade and some measurements this will be a clone rather than a sporter . I know the heat is coming so let's here it DD you should be first just kidding .

I hope this is a joke. Yes, IMA has them price very high, but you have to remember that there are only 14 known to exist. Any attempt to make a "clone" would be nothing more than a forgery of an otherwise very rare firearm. As much as I want one, I too cannot afford one at that price either, but cutting up another collectable rifle will get you less than you already have. You must also consider the fact that whoever owns the humped rifle after you do could try and pass it on as the real thing, potentially putting someone out alot of money. Again, I really, really hope you are joking. Enjoy your Gahendra as it is.
    Looking to purchase a Lebel/Berthier front sight, PM me if you have one!

To even come close one first needs an improved Gahendra with a mono-tube barrel (not lap welded), which I've come to appreciate are darn rare in and of themselves and definitely not fodder for Bubba. I have two and went through a bunch of pallets with Alex in Easton and found exactly zero more. Look closely at the screw pattern and you'll see the easy to spot external difference. That said, there are more than a few Gahendra parts guns with unusable barrels around that someone can make a carbine from it they wish to spend the time/energy&money. I plan on making a sporter from one such disaster.....(assuming the barreled action returns from Montana).
    Rich in West Virginia, savoring life one cartridge at a time.

Well, I gulped real hard and ordered one. "Sometimes in life" my dad used to say when I was really little, "You may be given a chance to get hold of a genuine Gahendra Carbine. Son" he said, and I remember it like it was yesterday, "If that chance comes around then you hop on it boy!" What choice did I have? Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Yuma View Post
    Well, I gulped real hard and ordered one. "Sometimes in life" my dad used to say when I was really little, "You may be given a chance to get hold of a genuine Gahendra Carbine. Son" he said, and I remember it like it was yesterday, "If that chance comes around then you hop on it boy!" What choice did I have? Johnny
    Are you joking? I don't think that many of us even knew what a Gahendra was until a few years back. Maybe I am just too new to this subject?

Im sorry Freebore. Of course Im joking (should use the little smiley things.) Until about 8 months ago I didn't know what a Gahendra was. My point, is that I want that carbine and I really do think it's worth the price, The story was a funny way of showing the rationalizations that we can go through. Johnny

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Yuma View Post
    Well, I gulped real hard and ordered one....What choice did I have? Johnny
    You Da Man, Johnny! Looking forward to lots of good pics.

8. Default

Sorry to add fuel to the fire, but before I read this post I was already planning to make a "clone" Gahendra carbine myself. Again, not to fool anyone. I just think the shorter version looks great, and will make a nice variation to display with my Martini-Henry MKIV. The fact is that anyone who is going to pay genuine a Gahendra carbine price is going to know what they are looking at, and aren't going to be fooled by a cut down rifle. And the only reason I would consider cutting this one down is the fact that, although it is in overall very nice condition mechanically, both the wood and metal had to be refinished. And what really makes it a good candidate is the fact that the front 10" or so of the barrel is badly rusted beyond help or refinish. So cutting it down is just getting rid of the only portion of the rifle which can't be decently refinished. I could keep it in it's original configuration and always be unhappy with the end of the barrel, or I could make a nice looking carbine clone which I would enjoy looking at and maybe even shooting, although I will probably end up just shooting my genuine Martini-Henry since I trust the English made piece a little more when it comes to materials. That's my two cents. I think to have a rifle I enjoy for under $200. and some time invested, it's not a bad choice. As far as defacing it's original configuration, the fact that it is very nice condition except for the end of the barrel just convinces me that it's not defacing it so much as improving it.

RUN!
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Under the big sky, in the shadow of the Sweetgrass Hills

So chop it, but don't clone it. Knowledgeable collectors will know the difference. That's not who I am concerned about, it's the less than knowledgeable.

So when you chop it, on the bottom of the barrel put your initials and the date.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 11-08-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    Douglas

"And don't forget. That isn't your Martini you have. It belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone. Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it." Malcolm Cobb, The Martini Henry Note-book
    To find things Martini go to: WWW.MartiniHenry.com

Have you tried getting the rust off the barrel they seem to be decieving i had a Francott that I thought was scrap so much rust on the barrel with lots on the front when I used lots of navel jelly I was amazed it cleaned up nicely and I was able to reblue it and it came out real nice (navel jelly takes everything off though) im working on an 1853 enfield barrel now lots of pits but its not as bad as it appeared when all that rust was removed the underside is rough but the part that shows on the top part might be ok when done.

HI Norm

How do you fix an out of round muzzle how would you do it, it appears to be just the muzzle I will half to mike it to find out.

How long is that gahendra carbine barrel just for future reference of course .

16. Default Chopped not cloned

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    So chop it, but don't clone it. Knowledgeable collectors will know the difference. That's not who I am concerned about, it's the less than knowledgeable.

So when you chop it, on the bottom of the barrel put your initials and the date.
    Chopping it is basically what I'm looking at doing. I am not gong to add carbine type sights or anything else to mimic the genuine carbine, just making a shorter version of the Gahendra rifle. I don't think adding my initials or dating the change is really needed. Pardon the pun, but I'm going to stick to my guns as far as my contention that anyone who would pay a carbine price would know the differences between the rifle and the carbine, which are a lot more than just a shorter length. As far as restoring the end of the barrel goes, it is deeply pitted beyond hope on the exterior top portion. Cutting it or living with the pitting are my only options. The fact is that I really like the way the shorter piece looks, and I'll bet it feel a lot better as well. It's what I want, and since the damage already minimizes it's collector value, I just don't see a down side. If someone in the future who doesn't know how to tell the real deal from a cut down rifle happens to buy it, they will get a nice rifle. I don't believe someone will be fooled and pay big bucks thinking they are getting a rare carbine, and I don't think anyone will pay more than what it is worth. If someone who doesn't know much buys it for not much money thinking they are getting a rare piece for a little money, they won't make a killing and they won't get killed in the deal. They will get a nice simulation of a rare gun for a fair price. I have yet to meet a collector who pays out big money without knowing a fair amount about what they are shelling out for. My change is a far cry from what would be needed to fool a collector who know's his stuff. As noted, I would have to change the barrel, the front sight, and several other things to pull the wool over someones eyes. That would clearly be a fraud and I would be the first to condemn such a package of changes. Cutting down a SMLE and putting a cone flash hider wouldn't make an Enfield Jungle Carbine, but plenty of people have made such changes and enjoy owning such guns. Again, someone who knows his stuff and does his homework isn't going to be taken to the cleaners with this sort of change.

17. Default

The Gahendra carbine barrel is about 21" or so. The exact length is available in the specs which can easily be found on the internet. Maybe just to be sure nobody is fooled I will cut my barrel either a little longer or a little shorter than a genuine Gahendra carbine. Since I like my carbines short, maybe I'll go with about a 19" barrel or so. I'll have to mock up some pictures and see what I like the looks of best, than make my choice and get out my hacksaw. I probably will go a little shorter though. I'm a small guy, and I've always prefered small rifles and carbines. Of all the long guns I've owned in my life, my favorite was always a Marlin 39M .22 lever action carbine that my Father gave me for Christmas a long time ago. Wish I still had my Father and that Marlin.

wink2

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Chopping it is basically what I'm looking at doing. I am not gong to add carbine type sights or anything else to mimic the genuine carbine, just making a shorter version of the Gahendra rifle. I don't think adding my initials or dating the change is really needed. Pardon the pun, but I'm going to stick to my guns as far as my contention that anyone who would pay a carbine price would know the differences between the rifle and the carbine, which are a lot more than just a shorter length. As far as restoring the end of the barrel goes, it is deeply pitted beyond hope on the exterior top portion. Cutting it or living with the pitting are my only options. The fact is that I really like the way the shorter piece looks, and I'll bet it feel a lot better as well. It's what I want, and since the damage already minimizes it's collector value, I just don't see a down side. If someone in the future who doesn't know how to tell the real deal from a cut down rifle happens to buy it, they will get a nice rifle. I don't believe someone will be fooled and pay big bucks thinking they are getting a rare carbine, and I don't think anyone will pay more than what it is worth. If someone who doesn't know much buys it for not much money thinking they are getting a rare piece for a little money, they won't make a killing and they won't get killed in the deal. They will get a nice simulation of a rare gun for a fair price. I have yet to meet a collector who pays out big money without knowing a fair amount about what they are shelling out for. My change is a far cry from what would be needed to fool a collector who know's his stuff. As noted, I would have to change the barrel, the front sight, and several other things to pull the wool over someones eyes. That would clearly be a fraud and I would be the first to condemn such a package of changes. Cutting down a SMLE and putting a cone flash hider wouldn't make an Enfield Jungle Carbine, but plenty of people have made such changes and enjoy owning such guns. Again, someone who knows his stuff and does his homework isn't going to be taken to the cleaners with this sort of change.
    Oh that it were true, the rarer the gun the easier it is to fake. And you wouldn't believe how many very knowledgeable collectors have been burned for some big bucks by some very poor fakes. The SMLE Jungle carbine has tripped up a lot of people.

I see no problem with cutting the rifle down

I am afraid I have to question your motivation. Why would you go to all the work to cut the rifle down and modify it and object to marking it.

Smells naferaious to me
    Douglas

"And don't forget. That isn't your Martini you have. It belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone. Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it." Malcolm Cobb, The Martini Henry Note-book

19. Default

Smells nefarious to me? Yeah, I figure the best way to pull a fast one is to let the world know that I plan to make a fake right before offering it for sale. Might as well list it now. Anybody want to buy a genuine Gahendra carbine? It's a really rare one that they only made one of by cutting down a regular rifle before going into production. It's got a 4 digit serial number which makes it even more rare! The bidding starts at $1,000,000., but don't ask what my reserve is because that wouldn't be fair to the other bidder's. Anyway, how can you even put a price on such a rare piece. Come to think of it, it's so rare that I'll never get a chance to own another on, so I think I'll just keep it.
    I've been around the block a few times, and have seen people get taken a few times. And you know what? The only time anyone ever got taken was when they thought they were getting a great deal at the expense of the seller. They figured the seller didn't know what they were selling, which was why they were selling it so cheap. In other words, the buyers own greed and the prospect of getting something of substantial value for MUCH less than it was worth was what caused the buyer to be the victim.
    And by the way, my Gahendra is not for sale. I plan to do a nice job in restoring the wood and metal (which would further diminish any collector value it might have had as a genuine carbine) and enjoy owning it. When I do something like this, I put a lot more time, effort, and love into the project than I could ever hope to recover.
    If I sound a little sarcastic and angry, it's because it sounds like you are suggesting that I plan on defrauding someone, and most people get offended when they are accused of something they have no intention of doing. I'm 55, have been trading since I started out with pellet guns as a kid, and have never been anything but honest with the people I've traded with. If you can make the same claim, than I commend you for your honesty. Don't assume I am any less honest than you when it comes to my intentions in restoring or changing my rifle. As far as dating and initialing the change, I only object to it because such markings are ugly. Kind of like the "Read owners manual before using" marks stamped into all the new guns being manufactured nowadays. I've met some crooks in my time, but fewer in the gun collectors circles than most others. If you are honest, than that makes two of us. Lets hang people after we catch them stealing horses, not because we think they might.
    Out of respect for your position as moderator, I would consider marking the barrel UNDER the wood. I just hope the "less than knowledgeable" you refer to are smart enough to remove the stock to see it. Otherwise they will just have to take my word for it that it isn't a real carbine, and accept the fact that I refuse to accept the large sum of money they are intent on giving me for it since they believe it is a real carbine.
    How about I stop making making sarcastic remarks, you stop suggesting that I plan on defrauding a potential buyer, and we become friends and fellow collectors who share an interest in historic British rifles?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-10-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Here's what i said:

You object to such a simple thing and I have to wonder why!

I can tell you in my 27 years as a gunsmith every single gun I have modified or rebarreled has my intial and the date stamp. The reason I do this is because in Gunsmithing school they taught us to do this to circumvent fraud.
    Douglas

21. Default

Douglas,
    I objected to you ending your response with the comment "Smells naferaious to me" which sounded to me like an accusation. I also said "Out of respect for your position as moderator, I would consider marking the barrel UNDER the wood." And I said "we become friends and fellow collectors who share an interest in historic British rifles?"
    So here's the way I see it at this point;

1) I still object to being accused of planning something nefarious. I believe most people object to being accused of something they don't intend to do, but maybe I am just being overly sensitive. If so, I apologize for it.

2) I stated that out of respect for your position as moderator I WOULD be willing to initial and date the change. I don't have professional training as a gunsmith, but the policy you refer to makes sense to me and I understand why it would be encouraged to circumvent fraud.

3) I ended my comment with a suggestion of friendship and mutual respect.

I've always preferred friendship over animosity, and for the most part my experience among gun collectors has been one of friendship based on mutual interest and respect. Other than "sticking to my guns" regarding my distaste for being accused of nefarious intentions, I have tried to see things from your perspective. I've stated my understanding and respect for your position. My friendship is sincerely offered and I hope you will respond in kind. Now more than ever, people who share an interest in firearms will benefit much more from hanging together, or as Thomas Pane once said, "we shall surely hang separately."
    Steve

with one comment

What are the initials for CHOPPED BY BUBBA maybe just CBB- 11-11-10 , in case you see some of my handy work at a gunshow you will know it's the real thing . Will this mean I need to register this as a trademark so as to stop fakes and nefarious gunsmiths , this all seems way to hard to clone a 189.00 gun if it was a mauser or moisin nagant we would all be doing it .

The gun he is talking about cloning isn't a $189.95 gun, it is one only 14 know to exist and those 14 recently sold for some where around $1400.

...and you point is well made, there is a great deal fraud a fakery in the mausers and nagants. And a lot of experts have been fooled.

Steve says that isn't his intent, and I believe him. But his original response left one to wonder, thus my comment.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 11-11-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Douglas

24. Default

Seems like Bubba has a sense of humor, which I for one can appreciate. Bubba, if I see any pieces marked CBB with a date, I'm gonna buy it, 'cause I think your work is going to be more valuable than the original choppers. Bubba, you are an inspiration to me and I'm gonna mark my pieces CBS with a date. I just hope the TV station doesn't sue me for using their initials. Maybe I should mark mine CBSIBB for "chopped by Steve, inspired by Bubba. My pieces will be known to collectors as Seebycib's and be more valuable than any of 'em. Than people will start chopping 'em and marking 'em with my mark and that will start a whole new catagory of fakes.
    I can hear it now at the gun shows......"Ya' know Jim, I don't think that's a genuine Seebycib, 'cause the muzzle is a perfect 90degree cut with a nice crown. Real Seebycib's have lots of hacksaw marks, aint close to 90 degrees, and are crowned with a dremel. You can spot 'em a mile away by that special rustic quality."
    "I believe you might be right Bob. I guess I'll pass on this one. Ya' know, Steve only cut down 32 of 'em, and from what I hear, there's at least 75 or 80 of 'em in collectors hands. The numbers just don't add up right with these Seebysib's, and I guess the only way you can know for sure is to buy it from Steve directly in person. I'd like to get one of them Seebysib Jungle Carbines though. He makes the flash hider from automotive funnels painted black. They are a little too wide at the muzzle end, but aside from that you can hardly tell them from the British issue original."
    NOTE TO ALL WHO READ THIS POST. I'M JOKING! AND MY CUT DOWN GAHENDRA WON'T BE FOR SALE, SO DON'T ASK. AND WHEN I DIE, MY FAMILY WILL PROBABLY JUST THROW OUT MY GUNS AND BE DONE WITH 'EM. THEY WOULDN'T KNOW A GAHENDRA FROM MAHATMA GANDHI!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-12-2010 at 10:21 AM.

How much for the MAHATMA GHANDI and what caliber is it , they are sure to go up in value .

"Chopped By BUBBA"? haven't you read any of the mystery novels about the crooked antique dealer, Lovejoy? It's legal (in the UK anyway) if you mark it "Bubba Facit" (Bubba made this) in tiny script, hidden under the wood.
    I guess I can afford to laugh at this because I can't afford and wouldn't buy anyway a $1400 Gahendra carbine. As gun faking goes this is small change, compared to all the Civil War guns stamped CSA and those tens of thousands of 7th cavalry trapdoor carbines.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

27. Default

WELL NOW IT LOOKS AS IF MAYBE THE JOKE'S ON ME. OR WOULD HAVE BEEN IF I HAD CHOPPED IT BEFORE I FOUND OUT THAT MY RIFLE MIGHT ACTUALLY BE A SOMEWHAT RARE VARIATION. I'M NOT SAYING IT IS, BUT I HOPE SOMEBODY OUT THERE KNOWS ABOUT THIS VARIATION AND CAN TELL ME A LITTLE MORE ABOUT IT. WHAT FOLLOWS IS A COPY OF A POST I JUST LEFT IN A DIFFERENT AREA OF THIS FORUM..........
    I have a Gahendra with the one piece V shaped combination main spring / trigger spring. When I disassembled my rifle I saw that this spring was broken with the trigger spring portion missing. I thought that was the way they were supposed to be until someone gave me a replacement pair of springs with a floor plate. The floor plate is also different in that it has a "leg" milled into it to retain the spring. I could use the 2 replacement springs I got, but I would have to drill and tap a hole in the floor plate to make it work, and I'd rather not do that. I would much prefer to replace the single piece V shaped spring and leave the floor plate as I found it. Are replacement single piece springs available from anyone? And are there other differences I should look for in my rifle? I was ready to cut it down, but now I have read references that this is an "improved" model incorporating some of the features that the carbine has, and I am wondering if it might be somewhat rare. Although I've partially refinished the wood and metal, I have not yet made any other changes. Does anyone know anything about this variation?
    It now goes without saying that I will not be cutting this one down to carbine length, although I may try to find another Gahendra which is enough of a basket case to make such changes without destroying a piece of history. As I said in earlier posts, the only real problem with this one is the last 10" or so of the barrel, and if it is a rare one, maybe living with that barrel might not be such a bad idea. Anyway, I hope someone out there can provide me with some additional info. Thanks!
    Steve

For $188 why not just buy a Gahendra from IMA.

I am working on deal with a spring maker to make standard replacement springs for the Gahendra. He can also make the v springs, but he will need the spring and action to do it. Oh it won't be cheap.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 11-12-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    Douglas

This could be called the kindest cut of all it won't hurt that much I promise.

30. Default

WELL GEE DOUGLAS.....
    Buying another Gahendra for this spring would be a bit of a crap shoot since the V spring is the one that doesn't seem to show up too often. And even if I got one with the V spring, I would than have another rifle that didn't have one. Am I missing something in your suggestion? Regarding your spring maker who can make a V spring that wont be cheap, I just gotta say it, smells naferaious to me. C'mon Douglas, are we jerkin' each other or what? First I try to make nice to you after you accuse me of trying to commit fraud, and now you suggest you might have a guy who can make me an expensive spring. Who's trying to do what to who here? I never offered to sell anything to anybody, but you offer to hook me up with a spring that won't be cheap. And you question my motive? I'm glad you arent the only one in this forum, and I hope the other people reading these comments are getting a kick out of them, 'cause I'm starting to find this whole conversation pretty entertaining. Now I'll get back to the business at hand.

I used to be in the knife business, and I made a few of my own springs, so I might give that a try. Dixie Gun Works also has all kinds of unusual springs and the are usually pretty cheap, and they would probably have something that would work with a little alteration. Or I could also probably cobble the two separate Gahendra springs I have together and make them work. Spending big bucks on a spring for this rifle just isn't in the cards. Since I have an Enfield Martini-Henry, any actual shooting of 577-.450 ammo would be in that, so I doubt I'll ever shoot the Gahendra. But I do prefer my guns to be fully functional even if I never shoot them, so I'll figure something out as far as the spring goes.
    My interest in finding out more about my particular Gahendra is definitely up a few notches since I found out it might not be run of the mill, so if anyone has additional info about it, I would love to hear what you know. For example, does this "improved" rifle use the same type of barrel as the carbine or share other changes that were incorporated in it? How can I distinguish between barrel types? And just for the record, I am not interested in selling it. I have the Dennis Lewis book "Martini-Henry .450 Rifles & Carbines" as well as John Walter's "Guns of the Gurkhas" book, and neither has that much info on the Gahendra guns or their variations, so any help is appreciated. Maybe someone can recommend other books or sources with additional info. Thanks again.
    AND BY THE WAY DOUGLAS. I HOPE YOU ARE EITHER REALLY PISSED OFF OR REALLY LAUGHING HARD. I HAVEN'T HAD THIS MUCH FUN SINCE I SOLD A FAKE JUNGLE CARBINE WITH GENERAL MONTGOMERY'S NAME CARVED INTO THE STOCK!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-12-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: BOREDOM ON A FRIDAY NIGHT

31. Default

Member "one shot 1" Now this guy I like. He hasn't called me a crook, isn't offering to sell me anything, and has some good observations to voice. Thanks!

Whew glad you guys arent on the range together.

Douglas has offered sound observations and supported it with reasoning. Personally I wouldn’t question anyone’s motivation on a project unless I really knew them. Whether a person that modifies a firearm intends anything other than making a nice looking and functional firearm isn’t really my issue. It is what the person down the road might do with it. Why people treat firearms as if they will be the last owner is beyond me, particularly when we are dealing with firearms over a century old to begin with that should go on functioning for many more generations.

Marking altered arms is simply ethics 101. Too many fakes and “never been” firearms are passed off as legit everyday. Keeping the collecting hobby healthy means thinking about the next guy and the guy after that. You don’t have to look far on the auctions to find spurious examples and I’m willing to bet that 90% of the time the originator isn’t part of the deception, just didn’t do anything to discourage it. When viewed dispassionately over the passage of time, this is really selfish….nobody likes to be fooled into accepting a spurious firearm as original. Voicing scorn at someone raising this issue demonstrates a lack of maturity in collecting if not in life itself.

As to selling something? I have no idea what this is about. Nobody here has offered to sell you anything that I can see. Douglas did offer a reference for a spring maker he is working with to make replacement Gahendra springs…..which he isn’t selling, but is getting designed and made as a non-profit favor to the hobby. The springs will be paid for and then marketed by IMA as spare parts for the Gahendra. IMA will be making a profit (hopefully), which they deserve for funding this little venture and making sure we can get springs….since that is one of the weak points of Nepal firearms. As is documented in at least two books, making good spring steel was an industrial weakness of the Nakkhu arsenal. With modern springs these firearms should remain functional for generations to come….without them, they become the dreaded wall hanger. Since I own quite a few Gahendras of all models, I appreciate the efforts of all concerned.
    Rich in West Virginia, savoring life one cartridge at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    WELL GEE DOUGLAS.....
    Buying another Gahendra for this spring would be a bit of a crap shoot since the V spring is the one that doesn't seem to show up too often. And even if I got one with the V spring, I would than have another rifle that didn't have one. Am I missing something in your suggestion? Regarding your spring maker who can make a V spring that wont be cheap, I just gotta say it, smells naferaious to me. C'mon Douglas, are we jerkin' each other or what?
    Who said anything about getting another Gahendra to get a V spring. I said get another Gahendra so you can make a short rifle.

Right now I am working with a guy to make replacement flat springs and lever clips for Gahendra so IMA can stock them as replacement parts. We are still working all the fine points out for a large order. I don't have a cost yet, but it won't be cheap. A cast spring would be $40 with a minimum order of 50 springs. Cast springs have a poor reputation for durability and meeting dimensions. The spring maker I am working with will make them from bar stock and they will be correct. He for years made the replacement High Wall springs sold by Brownells and they were $65 each. The Gahendra spring is similar to but not the same as the Winchester spring.

I was simply offering to share my source and was warning he isn't cheap. Nothing more.

First I try to make nice to you after you accuse me of trying to commit fraud, and now you suggest you might have a guy who can make me an expensive spring. Who's trying to do what to who here? I never offered to sell anything to anybody, but you offer to hook me up with a spring that won't be cheap. And you question my motive? I'm glad you arent the only one in this forum, and I hope the other people reading these comments are getting a kick out of them, 'cause I'm starting to find this whole conversation pretty entertaining. Now I'll get back to the business at hand.
    I try to be helpful and offer you a source for correct replacement for what seems to a be an uncommon Gahendra variation and you bite my hand?

You say you can make a spring, then you should because that is an even better way to go.

I used to be in the knife business, and I made a few of my own springs, so I might give that a try. Dixie Gun Works also has all kinds of unusual springs and the are usually pretty cheap, and they would probably have something that would work with a little alteration. Or I could also probably cobble the two separate Gahendra springs I have together and make them work.
    Look around our board for a post by Norm. He jerry rigged up a Dixie spring set that works.

Spending big bucks on a spring for this rifle just isn't in the cards. Since I have an Enfield Martini-Henry, any actual shooting of 577-.450 ammo would be in that, so I doubt I'll ever shoot the Gahendra. But I do prefer my guns to be fully functional even if I never shoot them, so I'll figure something out as far as the spring goes.
    I do understand about spending money on the rifles. But don't look at the value of this gun as the price you paid for it. First consider the price being asked by IMA fopr a cleaned Gahendra. That is what your your rifle is worth after it is cleaned up, not the untouched price. You have the improved version and it is worth more than the standard if it is fixed.
    Douglas

Hey Douglas let me know if you come up with a spring replacement

Keep checking the IMA website. I will be posting updates in the thread on British Militaria. And will let everyone know here.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 11-14-2010 at 09:42 PM.
    Douglas

Oh no douglass is melting everyone where will this all end .
    Keep checking the IMA website. I will be posting updates in the thread on British Militaria. And will melt everyone know here.
    It especially funny when you make typos also.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 11-14-2010 at 09:44 PM.

38. Default

Now we have at least established a few things.
    1) I voice scorn at someone when they suggest I am being nefarious.
    2) I lack maturity in collecting.
    3) I lack maturity in life itself.
    4) I lack further information regarding my Gahendra "improved" model, even though I have asked the experts 2 times about differences in my rifle other than the one piece spring.
    5) Douglas makes a lot of typos including misspelling nefarious the first time he used it in this forum, and I quote "Smells naferaious to me". And I bet he goes back and corrects his misspelling after he reads this.
    6) "One shot 1" is right when he says, "Oh no douglass is melting everyone where will this all end . Originally Posted by DoubleD...."Keep checking the IMA website. I will be posting updates in the thread on British Militaria. And will melt everyone know here.

It especially funny when you make typos also.

Moderators of this forum have a tendency to stick together which I wouldn't say if I was a mature collector who was also mature in life. However, the readers of this forum would be better served if the moderators of this forum shared their expertise rather than their opinions on maturity. And I would be happy to start acting with maturity if someone would answer my historic firearms questions rather than passing judgment on my maturity or lack of same.
    The only thing I did wrong was to mention that I was thinking about cutting down a rifle into carbine configuration, which by the way was in response to someone else stating that they planned to do the very same thing. All I did was say, "Yeah, I was thinking about doing that too." And next thing I know, I'm getting the wrath of Douglas shoved down my throat. Than later I state that out of respect for Douglas position as moderator I would consider marking my rifle as he suggested. Than next thing I know Douglas co-moderator is accusing me of a lack of maturity both as a collector and with life in general.
    OK, LET ME TRY STARTING OVER AGAIN. I'M SORRY EVERYBODY, FOR BEING OFFENDED AT BEING ACCUSED OF PLANNING TO PRODUCE A FRAUDULENT ARTIFACT. I'M SORRY FOR BEING AN IMMATURE COLLECTOR, AND MOST OF ALL I'M SORRY FOR BEING IMMATURE IN ALL OTHER ASPECTS OF LIFE. NOW I'D LIKE TO BE FRIENDS WITH EVERYONE, ESPECIALLY DOUGLAS AND ANY OTHER MODERATOR I MAY HAVE OFFENDED. AND IN CLOSING, I WOULD LIKE TO ASK, DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MY POSSIBLY "IMPROVED" MODEL GAHENDRA RIFLE WITH THE ONE PIECE MAIN SPRING, AND WOULD YOU PLEASE CONSIDER SHARING ANY INFORMATION YOU MAY HAVE ABOUT THAT RIFLE WITH ME? PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR AND MATURITY SPRINKLED ON IT! IF YOU WOULD I WOULD BE EVER SO GRATEFUL.
    AND AS RODNEY KING ONCE SAID, "CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?"

If you want to discuss Martini's discuss Martini's.
    If you want Whine find some place else.

Penalty issued
    Last edited by DoubleD; 11-16-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    Douglas

40. Default

OK, I'm done whining. I do want to discuss Martini's as I am a new collector. No kidding. Right now I have 2 Gahendra's, one of which I have described and have some questions about regarding the one piece spring configuration. Another standard Gahendra which I picked up based on your suggestion, no kidding, and which I plan on making into a carbine clone which will be marked per your suggestion. Again, no kidding. I also have a MH MK4 in nice condition, a MK2 also in pretty nice condition, and a MK2 barreled action which I hope to eventually make into a custom rifle, perhaps in a caliber I can afford to shoot a little more often. I do appreciate your position and expertise and I am not being sarcastic. If you have any suggestions regarding my plans for the barreled action, and any info regarding the non standard Gahendra rifle I referenced, I would welcome your input. Again, I am not being sarcastic and will genuinely appreciate any help you can offer.
    Steve

If the barreled action is well marked it may be worth more restored than customised. Certain makers and certain dates have greater collector interest than others.

If the action is well marked you might be ahead to pick up an Unmarked MK II from IMA. Strip the unmarked rifle dow to the action and use the parts to restore the marked action. Sell the restored marked action and extra barrel and recoup you recoup your expenses. Build your custom rifle on the unmarked action.

A 45/70 is a common conversion.

The V spring Gahendra should be restored .
    Douglas

Steve

Build your custom rifle on a unmarked action.I have to agree with Douglas

The V spring Gahendra should be restored there are very few of them around , the first one I saw was a pix of Richard's , and I have 6 old model Gahendra's, wish I could help you on the the new model Gahendra but not owning one I have no idea ,I have to agree with Douglas

NORM

43. Default

Thanks for your suggestions. The barreled action is without it's major markings, like the unmarked ones from IMA. Other than that it's in good condition. Thats why I think its a good candidate for a custom rifle.
    I have been working on restoring the v spring Gahendra which is really in pretty nice condition. I had already refinished the wood when I realized what I had, so I hope the wood refinish doesn't hurt the historic value too badly. The metal is in very nice condition with no rust or pitting, and I must say that it appears to have been a fairly nicely finished rifle when new, with a good quality polish. Although the diagonal markings are good, the markings below them seem to have been ground off at some time in the past. I believe I have read references of other people who have rifles with those markings ground off also. Anyone know why? Anyway, aside from the wood all I've really done is give the piece a good cleaning after stripping it down. After I reassemble it I think it will be about as nice a Gahendra as I have seen photos of. I do have another one which although mechanically good, isn't in nearly as good condition as this "improved" v spring model. But I really would like to know if I've hurt the value much with the wood refinish. Basically, the wood was in good condition aside from the filth. I cleaned it and did a little sanding, sealed and stained it, than rubbed in a coat of linseed oil. The wood looks real good, has no rot or worm holes, no filler, and a nice grain. I'll post some photos after I get it back together. Any comments would be welcome.
    Steve

STEVE

IMOH , there isn't a reason to put sand paper to one of these stocks unless you had to splice wood in the stock or fix a crack , 0000 steel wool , or bronze wool only and some folks will disagree about that

but its your gun , I don't have the right tell you what to with your own property ,and no ones else dose ether

NORM

Quote Originally Posted by NORMSUTTON View Post
    STEVE

but its your gun , I don't have the right tell you what to with your own property ,and no ones else dose ether

NORM
    But we don't have like what was done if you tell us about it....
    Douglas