Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Militray Gun Supply PPS-43 Review

Default Militray Gun Supply PPS-43 Review

I recently received a brand spanking new PPS-43 pistol version from Military Gun Supply/Wiselite Arms. The gun arrived in a rather small box and I was anxious to see how it looked. My first reaction was "Whoa this way cool". I was really impressed with the attention to exterior detail of the PPS_43 clone in semi auto. I've handled the full auto version and this semi only copy in pistol form is near dead nut a copy. Outside of some very small cosmetic differences this gun looks just like the WW2 original.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PPS9.JPG 
Views:	549 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	31426
    The finish on the gun is a deep black parkerize and fit and finish was very good. The folding shoulder stock is fixed in a closed position on this copy so the weapon can be sold on a pistol form. The caliber is 7.62x25 just as the original was. Overall I am very impressed with the little semi only smg pistol clone. The pistol "breaks" just like its older cousin by pushing the rear back cover in on the weapon and then the top half can be folded open to allow for cleaning of the barrel and remove of the bolt etc.. Due to the semi auto nature of the weapon the filed stripping is a bit more complicated than the smg original but its not a problem. A small screw driver would be all that was needed not for screws but to hold the rear spring plate forward while it is eased out of the top cover to allow removal of the bolt. Thats basically it.

Name:	PPS 6.JPG 
Views:	522 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	31433
    The pistol opened up

The pistol op spring and bolt while open.

Name:	PPS11.JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	31432

The gun itself comes with several accessories. The pistol, a sling and a three section pouch that hold the 3 magazines. The sling and pouch appear to be Polish manufacture as does the pistols parts. Outside of the serial number sequence on the bolt and some minor proof marks you would not know this was a Polish weapon or Soviet for that matter. The gun is marked with the markers info on the left side of the top cover assembly.

Name:	PPS 12.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	31435

Maker markings from Wiselite Arms.

Name:	PPS 8.JPG 
Views:	454 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	31431

After assembling the sling and checking the magazine function and fit I was ready to go to the range with this little beast. The magazines-all three fit perfectly and the lock up was positive on all. The bolt cocked smoothly and the lock up was positive on the trigger. Trigger pull is stiff but I figure that will work in as we play with it.

Name:	PPS4.JPG 
Views:	407 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	31429

OK I got off to the range with this pistol armed with 150 rds of Polish 7.62x25 in unopened boxes. I figured its a Polish gun why not feed it Polish fodder? The magazines were easy to load with single rounds and I loaded all three magazines to start with about 12 rds apiece to check for function. Weather was bright and sunny with a small breeze right to left. My range buddy was Bowser from the boards. He liked the pistol as well!

Name:	PPS2.JPG 
Views:	409 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	31428 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PPS.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	31427
    It was time to see what this thing would do. The first thing I had to do was to figure out how to hold the darn thing. I tried a rest and that was not comfortable. So I moved the rest and just held the thing by the magazine and pistol grip and aligned it to the right eye relief. Just to be sure your aware of this guys-this gun is a not a target rifle. Its a plinker and its not the easiest thing in the world to hold out in front of you and try to make super accurate shots with at 50 yds. It has a cool factor of 10 and its all about making the milk jug dance not making clover leaves on the target paper.
    Pic 9
    Attachment 4085

Getting this bad boy lined up!

Name:	PPS1.JPG 
Views:	387 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	31437

OK after about 40 rds we determined that the best way to hold this thing was as pictured and that the front sight had to be turned up to make point of aim. I had brought along a SVT front sight tool as it fit and used that but any of the after market SKS front sight tools will work as well or a AK cleaning kit tool. I adjusted the front sight up and had no real way to drift the post if need be so we hoped it was centered. A few more shots and some more adjustments and we were in business.

Name:	PPS5.JPG 
Views:	610 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	31430

Notice the protected front sight post. It unscrews to raise and screws in to lower. Also not the pressed rib indentation on the top cover. This corresponds with a slot in the top of the bolt that was cut to perform two functions. One to not allow the use of a unmodified PPS bolt in the gun and two it acts as a guide rib for the bolt to keep it centered in the top cover.

Name:	PPS 7.JPG 
Views:	300 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	31438
    Now I blasted away for a few minutes and after about 25 rds we went to see what this little beauty could do. Frankly we were all a but surprised that after the final sight adjustments we had made a rather nice little group with the PPS-43 pistol. A little adjustment left and we will be all over that 10 ring the next time. The distance was about 35 meters in this test.

Name:	PPS5.JPG 
Views:	610 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	31430

On function the weapon operated flawlessly in my book. I loaded and ejected rather positively about 10 yds front and to the right. The gun fired every round fed and I had one stove pipe casing. This was not a big deal and the jam was easily cleared and off we were rolling again. In comparison the full auto PPS I have fired had several jams during the range session.

Frankly I thought this "pistol" was really cool. Fit and finish was excellent and the gun operated without a hiccup with all 150 rds. I shot it and Bowser shot it and we both pronounced it a 9 out of 10 on the fun scale. Due to the nature of the range we were at it was not possible to stand and rapid fire the PPS-43 and that would have made it even more fun! My only complaint is the welded up stock. It would have been much easier to shoot with the shoulder stock open but in order to keep the barrel length as the original it had to be welded up so the weapon is transferable as a pistol. New version coming will have a longer barrel to make compliance and have an operational stock. Also this gun cousin the KP-44 which was the Finnish version that could accept bot stick and drum magazines are in stock now in limited quantity.

MGS has informed me they have several of these in stock right now and some of the KP-44's in stock as well in the pistol configuration as depicted here. These are really a cool little plinker and perfect for a display of Red Army infantry weapons if that is what you like. I can see this PPS-43 making onto a mannequin the next time I do a big display for a historical group and nobody would know the difference. I give the PPs-43 a A for fun and function. For your own gun contact MGS as soon as possible as these are a limited production and will sell out fast. Be sure to tell them your a Gunboards member in case they are running a special! Get yours now!

Phone: (817) 457-6000

Last edited by Vic; 12-23-2007 at 05:21 PM.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Would love to see the pictures, but I don't have permission?
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Cool

Neither do I must be a new snag in the new software.

+3, no permission
    http://forums.gunboards.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3992&dateline=1189747  224

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxieman View Post
    +3, no permission
    Make that +4.

DD

+5
    LSFlaghoist.gif

And 6

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

It seems none of us can see the photos.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

"roofrat, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

Mee too

awww.....i want to see the pictures but access is denied. sad times....

Same here.

great to see someone with the 43.

my 3-day wait period is over as of 5 hours ago...and now I must wait till gunshop opens.

my 43 was in the batch that had to be re-blued...or so the explanation went....so it's been a month of wringing hands and chomping on the bit.

looking forward to discussing the stock folding options soon...the 100 year old 200$ tax stamp law...the weld job on my 43...etc...

I wonder if I could have done better than the 695$ price by mentioning GunBoards...oh well....spilt cold blue now....heheh...i bought the 60$ parts kit to come along with the single mag...783$ otd....plus the transfer fee tomorrow!..err..today!!!

salute!!

Bounce
    Last edited by bounce; 09-20-2007 at 03:55 AM.

double posted..ooops

too many forum memberships...lol
    Last edited by bounce; 09-26-2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: doubled

if only that was considered "legal" here in this crap state of mine (Kommiefornia)...

...dang it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBurritoMan View Post
    awww.....i want to see the pictures but access is denied. sad times....
    Me too?

Why is this?
    For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Its corrected-
    Mosin Nagant.net

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Default Way Kool

I had no problem viewing the photo's and they are WAY KOOL !!
    "Opie"

I sent an e-mail to the Administer about not being able to pull up the attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    My only complaint is the welded up stock. It would have been much easier to shoot with the shoulder stock open but in order to keep the barrel length as the original it had to be welded up so the weapon is transferable as a pistol. New version coming will have a longer barrel to make compliance and have an operational stock.

Vic;

Actually, (unless your state does not allow it), you can order this weapon, and the PPsh-41 as an SBR. I believe they charge an extra $50.. for the SBR, but then you need to do a form one for SBR tax stamp to the ATF. This would allow you to have the proper length barrel, with the stock extendable.

I have a buddy, who has one of each set up this way.
    Horse's Philosophy on life

1: When in doubt, take command

2: Regardless of the situation, improvise, adapt, and overcome

3: ...and no matter what happens, FIDO (F--- it, and drive on)

I could see the pictures, they are great. Frank
    Frank Haley Native Texan now living in Albuquerque. New Mexico, but I live East of the Rio Grande, so I'm still really in Texas. Check your Texas History Books or a map of the Texas Republic.

Default What a great gun.

Have you seen the parts kit on sportsmansguide?

It has FOUR 35-rd. PPS-43 box magazines as well as a Mag Pouch for $80

$20 a mag does not sound bad. . .

I wonder if the folding stock will bolt right on for you.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=359283
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 122689_ts.JPG  
    Last edited by Slobinhood; 01-25-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: added the stock comment

Question PPS-43 Carbine?

Anybody looking at getting the 16" barrel version with the folding stock? I may have to take the plunge.

DB
    Never mistake kindness for weakness

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dodging Bullets View Post
    Anybody looking at getting the 16" barrel version with the folding stock? I may have to take the plunge.

DB
    Thinking about it also.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseSoldier176 View Post
    Vic;

Actually, (unless your state does not allow it), you can order this weapon, and the PPsh-41 as an SBR. I believe they charge an extra $50.. for the SBR, but then you need to do a form one for SBR tax stamp to the ATF. This would allow you to have the proper length barrel, with the stock extendable.

I have a buddy, who has one of each set up this way.

Is'nt the SBR tax 200.00 per weapon?
    Mosin Nagant.net

"Tulta munille!"

John F. Kennedy

Excellent range report!
    Last edited by acirema; 07-08-2008 at 05:10 PM.

No longer in Burma as it became too civil for me

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    Is'nt the SBR tax 200.00 per weapon?
    I think what he means is MGS charges $50 extra then you pay the $200 tax to the BATF
    Founder/Owner/Admin
    gunboards.com & mosinnagant.net
    USA Operations Agent:
    Trans Universal Combat Ordnance
    tucoarmscorp.net
    Follow me on Twitter @ tucoguns

Wanna see the pics?? Buy a decent computer like a Mac OSX. The pictures are great.:D

Quote Originally Posted by acirema View Post
    Excellent range report! I should've bought a 43 rather than the 41. I'm sending it back to Wise Lite Arms for burst firing issues.
    I don't think you are really sending it to Wiselite unless I am mistaken.

Wiselite provides the kits?

Rick S. at SMG builds the ppsh-43s (maybe the 41s too , not sure though)

and Military Gun Supply sells them.

MGS gives you phone number for WLA. You then contact WLA in lil' ol' Boyd, Texas and they tell you to ship the malfunctioning toy back to them.
    Last edited by acirema; 06-15-2008 at 07:29 AM.

Default PPSH-41 returned from WLA.

I received my PPSH-41 yesterday. WLA repaired disconnector.
    Last edited by acirema; 01-14-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Nice... I wonder what range allowed taking the weapon down range to the target and pointing it ... somewhere ....

Man thats a kewl lil gun there. I havent ever heard of them....but I'm liking them. I have a Wiselite Ak Pistol that I LOVE. They do make decent firearms. Great range report sir. :D

Gotta Bring this back to the top.

Has anyone purchased the PPS-43 in the carbine format? Any new range reports on this board? If so are there links? I'm really wanting one but still on the fence.

TIA,

DB
    Last edited by Dodging Bullets; 01-14-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: grammar
    Never mistake kindness for weakness

man, these things tempt me badly. I just don't know.....Still visions of the bulged recievers on a couple......Would be really cool though.

just confirm that the bolt weight and recoil spring weight has been increased since the first versions which they STUCKed me with.

I just picked up a semi auto build from MGS (pps-43) I heard bad things bad bad things lol blowing up and all. No problems yet put 70 rounds down range other than poor sight adjustments and being picky on ammo it did GREAT! Now anybody know or recommend good ammo for these rifles? It seemed to hate Yugo ammo in fact it would dent the primer really good and would not set the round off, unless I put it back into the gun the second time around. Polish did well I would say 1 every 10 rounds would misfire but it was made in 58....something with a better primer???

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade1982 View Post
    I just picked up a semi auto build from MGS (pps-43) I heard bad things bad bad things lol blowing up and all. No problems yet put 70 rounds down range other than poor sight adjustments and being picky on ammo it did GREAT! Now anybody know or recommend good ammo for these rifles? It seemed to hate Yugo ammo in fact it would dent the primer really good and would not set the round off, unless I put it back into the gun the second time around. Polish did well I would say 1 every 10 rounds would misfire but it was made in 58....something with a better primer???
    What date is on the Yugo that misfired? I have quite a bit for my Tok and haven't had any probs with the ammo so far. I have been warned about headstamps from '83 though. Could it be the Yugo ammo you had had hard primers? I know this thread is older but I'm considering this pistol myself and would like to know more before I take the plunge.

I know this is an old thread, but it is the only one I could find on the subject. Sent in my double set of forms with photos and fingerprint cards along with a $200 check(TAX!) to ATF&E, just to free the folding stock on the PPS-43.Since I have a FFL3 (C&R), was told by some gun dealers that it might speed up the process a little.
    Will let you know when the "Stamp" arrives.
    Lot of hassle just to have an operating folding stock!
    But it will look more authentic, and might be more fun on the range.

That SBR is the way to go on the PPS-43. I SBR'd a Kel-Tec PLR-16 and recently got a 22LR suppressor. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten the can first vs the SBR. I went with the photos and pics for the SBR and did a trust for the suppressor. Trust was much easier, but it still took almost 4 months for the stamp approval. Have fun with your authentic folding stock PPs-43. Very cool.

Was told that you have to buy a "parts kit" for the folding stock to operate correctly.Sportsmans Guide sells one along with Royal Tiger. Gonna be expensive when finally done!

350 for pistol, Not really expensive for the parts kit $72 and you get 4 extra magazines. $200 check(TAX!) to ATF&E is the expence.
    Addicted to guns and want them all before I die.

mad

Expensive for me, as I got ripped off purchasing the PPS-43 at a gun show for $560 !
    Trying to re-coop some of the loss by getting a stamp, ect.
    Next time, I will study each and every gun here, before purchasing!

i tel yu what. that is more accurate than a 20 shot group with some of my cast bullet loads in my enfield. that is great shooting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default 922r compliance on your pps 43

Hudson,
    If you re-classify your pps 43 pistol into a short barreled rifle wouldn't it then have to comply with 922r? 922r does not apply to a pistol but does apply to rifles. I also have a pps 43 pistol and would love to have a legally funtioning folding stock. I think i would make it a whole different weapon. But if i add barrel lenth to make it a rifle then it falls under 922r . I have not seen enough us made parts for the pps 43 to keep it 922r compliant. Does registering a weapon as a sbr make it not have to comply with 922r?
    Regards, Hiller......

Quote Originally Posted by hiller View Post
    Hudson,
    If you re-classify your pps 43 pistol into a short barreled rifle wouldn't it then have to comply with 922r? 922r does not apply to a pistol but does apply to rifles. I also have a pps 43 pistol and would love to have a legally funtioning folding stock. I think i would make it a whole different weapon. But if i add barrel lenth to make it a rifle then it falls under 922r . I have not seen enough us made parts for the pps 43 to keep it 922r compliant. Does registering a weapon as a sbr make it not have to comply with 922r?
    Regards, Hiller......
    In order to have the folding stock operative on it, you have to send in $200 (Unfair Tax!) to ATF&E, to avoid prison. If you get the longer barrel,you do not. Check with the vendors here and see if someone can get you the longer barrel, if you want to go that route. I have seen adds on Shotgun News for the longer barrel version, but they cost much more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast