Default Replacement Swedish Mauser barrels from Lothar-Walther

I've got a .308 gas gun with a L-W barrel that shoots way under MOA consistently. A trip down one of these barrels with a borescope is an experience. Given that L-W hones their chambers as opposed to cutting them, their throats are unlike any you'll ever see. The button rifles bores are polished beyond anything I've observed short of Lilja or Noveske barrels. They clean up amazingly fast, too.

Swede turned me on to this L-W offering for the Swedish Mausers. These are currently in production for the m/96:

http://www.lothar-walther.com/275.php

As these are German made, delivery is approximately one month. They promise to have properly contoured CG-63 barrels available soon, as well.

Note that the twist rate of the m/96 barrel is not the original 200 mm, but the latter 220 mm used in the CG-63.

Now, where can we find new front sight bases?

I'd almost bet you're not going to find "new" front sight bases. I've not seen any.

Good to know about the barrels. I have only one new spare m/96 Swedish barrel and 3 rifles that need barrels. I suspect one of them will morph into a faux CG63 as I have a lathe and mill and a nice set of CG63 wood. Run o'the mill Swedish military barrels will produce sub-MOA in a good rifle.

Dutchman

USMCsean is online now Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

Awesome info. I hope they continue to make them when I am working, as I don't have the money right now. But when I do, it's far easier finding an action than a barrel!
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Me, I could use a CG-63 barrel and an m/96 barrel.

I know an individual who was for several years the chief machinist at Knight's Armament. He now works for Wilson Combat. In the past, he's done several projects for me with my 100% satisfaction.

He could no doubt duplicate the original front sight base if provided the proper engineering drawings, or at least a new, pristine example, to minimize the chances for error. I imagine he'd have to crank out quite a few to keep the cost down. A reproduction front sight base, no matter how nicely done, would not be what I would call a high demand item.

Default barrel

I got one of these for my M96 and had it fitted at the end of last year.

worth every cent!!!

I did a load development with the rifle after I put a couple of hundred thru her (had to use up my loads) only to find out the the best results come from the ammo I had been using all along.

Thumbs up Lothar Walther barrel

as per my last post here are some photos of the new and old barrel.

The old barrel had heavy muzzle wear and pitting and when it started to spit things every wear it was time for it to go.

the price take for the barrel was $475 aud gunsmith labour was on top.
    but worth every cent. keep in mind I'm a shooter not a collector.
    (and before anyone complains the bolt and numbers are mismatching on this rifle).

first impressions of the walther barrel is everything looks the same but there is no thread on the end of the barrel.

The rifling looks very shallow compared to the original barrel. until you put a round through as soon as there is some carbon on it you can see the close reflection to the original barrel (with out the wear or pitting)
    the rifling only looks shallow because the rifling is that **BRIGHT** (that's not a joke)

New Barrel just got it home (the smith did a GREAT job)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new barrel muzzle.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	359354

old barrel next to the rifle

Name:	m96 and old barrel.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	359355
    muzzle of the old barrel just before I took it to the smith (best I could do with the camera)

Name:	barrel pitting.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	359356
    I got the old barrel back nice machine mark to release the pressure.

Name:	old barrel thread.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	359357

regards Fenn

Hi Fenn who screwed the barrel on for you? I've got one ready to fit for mine. A couple of blokes up here have had the Gunsmith in the Sunshine coast do their's. Both times were top jobs. I'll probably do the same but just curious as to who else is around in QLD. Others in the club have had the local smith fit them. While they all shoot well the action is nearly always twisted (must be soft at the front and not supported properly) and the bolt binds in the receiver ever so slightly. They need a small tickle with the dremel to remedy this. Thanks.

USMCsean is online now Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

If it head spaces okay, I'd put a little diamond polish on the locking lugs, that would be the absolute best thing instead of taking the dremel to it. That would ensure as close to 100% contact on the lug bearing surfaces as possible, which is how master gunsmiths build high quality shooting rifles.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by simo99 View Post
    Hi Fenn who screwed the barrel on for you? I've got one ready to fit for mine. A couple of blokes up here have had the Gunsmith in the Sunshine coast do their's. Both times were top jobs. I'll probably do the same but just curious as to who else is around in QLD. Others in the club have had the local smith fit them. While they all shoot well the action is nearly always twisted (must be soft at the front and not supported properly) and the bolt binds in the receiver ever so slightly. They need a small tickle with the dremel to remedy this. Thanks.
    I dealt with Allen at "Pine Rivers lock and gunsmiths". There are several gunsmiths on site and I have never had a problem with any of them. It is a very down to earth type of shop and the team there make time for customers. needles to say most of my rifles end up with them if they need anything done that I can't handle.

Time for me to speak a bit of crap - IMO - if the action is getting twisted some one is doing something wrong!
    a service rifle with a barrel that has been screwed up in a action for about 100 years (that has seen weather, rapid firing, (heating and cooling) and storage is bound to have some major friction problems when one tries to unscrew it! all this = the right tool for the right job. if the barrel is stuffed (as in my case) put the thing in a lathe and run a grove just infront of the thread and action to release the pressure. (see the shinny slot in the barrel thread picture for reference)

Just talk to the gunsmith before committing to anything and susses out what they are going to do in the process.
    Fenn

Do you know how many Swedish Mausers get rebarreled WITHOUT the receiver being twisted?

Thousands.

Far as that goes, the same applies to 1891, 1893, 1895, 1898 Mausers.

No one would accept a damaged receiver as being the normal and acceptable result of rebarreling. It reflects poor workmanship and poor work ethics to expect a customer to take such a rifle after such damage.

Any customer who accepts a damaged receiver as normal business practice is uninformed and gullible (Easily deceived or duped; na´ve, easily cheated or fooled).

Dutchman

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Any customer who accepts a damaged receiver as normal business practice is uninformed and gullible (Easily deceived or duped; na´ve, easily cheated or fooled).

Dutchman
    Dutchman,
    couldn't you think of anymore words for gullible haha