Thread: 1895 Uruguay FN 7mm mauser

Default 1895 Uruguay FN 7mm mauser

Whats a 1895 FN Uruguay 7mm mauser worth?

I found one in near very good condition for $895. I think that paying $895 is a lot for bragging rights.
    Are you ready for 12-21-2012?? Lets pray its the second comming of Christ and not the end like so many predict.

Not long ago John Wall (I think) said these hardly exist in North American captivity because Uruguay is still holding on to them. If it's in good shape that price might be right, but you should try to talk them down.

They are hard to find for sure. i would like to have one, especially since I already have the correct bayonet. But I would not pay $895 for one in near very good condition.
    click for photo: http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14422.png

"Old men do not suffer fools gladly." -- Fritz, 3/17/14

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Hi 1911,
    First, these rifles are uncommon, but can be found. Yours is the second I know of for sale at the moment. I suspect that this availability is becasue of the economy, but of course, that's just spectulation. Second, these rifles are not Model 1895's. FN made only Model 1893's. M.1895's are mechanically distinct and were only purchased by Chile and Serbia.

Finally, we need more information on condition. "Very good" can cover a lot of flaws. Not all the Uruguayans I've have matching bolts. Also, there should be a very large "URO" cartouche with a rack number on the left side of its buttstock. (See Hoffman and Schott 3rd edition, page 60). This is the only identifying featrure of this rifle that says "Uruguay", so it should be crisp and deep. The stock, bolt , barrel and bolt should all bear matching numbers. Thje bolt should be in the white, and all other major parts should be blued. The stock wood finish should not appear sanded, but instead should look kind of shellaced (?) from an old dried oil finish.

Before the current ecomonic situation befell us, these rifles, in my experience, sold consistently in the $900-$1100 range.
    Regards,
    John

I waited too long to buy this one mainly because of the $895 price tag. Thats a lot for bragging rights that i have one. John Wall your right agin looking at the rear of the receiver its a '93 because there's no wings near the bolt removal lever. Its skinny so thats a '93. I'm showing you guys a honey hole for surplus stuff but he is expensive on some stuff.

Go to; www.joesalter.com and search for item number #13485 Let me know what you think about my loss.
    Are you ready for 12-21-2012?? Lets pray its the second comming of Christ and not the end like so many predict.

Worth it to me. Except I'm broke. He does good pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93rails.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	294.9 KB 
ID:	361684

My Uruguayan is third from top.
    pure jebberish

"You don't think you're perfect but you do think you're always right."
    -my wife

I have the extra mad money but i'm too frugal. Lets hope a bubba didn't get it.

I spend the summer in Uruguay, where I own a house, for years had tried to get a military Mauser with their markings but its almost impossible, there are almost no pieces in their own market
    I am an international Gunboards patron

Ok i should of remorgaged the farm when i seen the uruguay 7mm mauser for sale.

I think the south american mausers are the best mausers ever manufactured, there so purdy over the rest of the other mausers. It seems to me the germans really paid attention to detail and the quality of the south american mausers when they manufactured them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
    I waited too long to buy this one mainly because of the $895 price tag. Thats a lot for bragging rights that i have one. John Wall your right agin looking at the rear of the receiver its a '93 because there's no wings near the bolt removal lever. Its skinny so thats a '93. I'm showing you guys a honey hole for surplus stuff but he is expensive on some stuff.

Go to; www.joesalter.com and search for item number #13485 Let me know what you think about my loss.
    Joe Salter? That's the other Uruguayan that I knew about! I was at Joe's place just last night! I also examined that Uruguayan rifle a few weeks ago and IMHO, it was worth every penny.
    Regards,
    John

If John says it was worth $895, then it was a lot better than "near very good condition". If someone says "near very good condition" I expect "good condition" and that can be pretty ratty. I don't mind buying pretty ratty uncommon rifles at times, but I don't pay $895 for them.

Post #244 at http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Mausers/page6 shows a M1894 Brazilian rifle in "good condition" I paid $256.09 for in August 2010.
    Last edited by geladen; 10-13-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    click for photo: http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14422.png

"Old men do not suffer fools gladly." -- Fritz, 3/17/14

John Wall when is the next gun show you'll be sitting at in CT? I was at one of them but didn't want to bother you guys, but you guys had an awesome collection showing of the older mausers and finnish rifles. I hope to meet you guys at the next show.

I can't ever say i'll never see anymore different '93 or '95 7mm mausers because for many years my holy grails have been getting a all matching wood/metal 6.5mm swede and 7mm chilean 95 mausers and within a year i found both a while back. This proves even a blind squirrel can get a acorn sooner or later.

Of course there goes my mad money on repairing the chimney this month. I just got the quote today. It sucks getting old to the point i can't do my repairs anymore.This is why i'm back collecting again its the only thing that i can enjoy with my pants on. I just turned 60yo so its down hill from here on.

Hi 1911,
    The way it looks now, I will miss the Ye Connnectict Gun Guild (YCGG) Show this fall on November 20 and 21 so I can attend the OGCA show on those same days in Ohio. So...maybe in the spring of 2011?
    Regards,
    John

See you in the spring John.

For those members in the area John Wall and a few other outstanding collectors set up a few tables with some gems that we only see in the mausers books.(older) These has been a Finnish collection being shown there too. I wish more shows had more tables with stuff to look at besides the guns for sale too. I think its neat and fun to see these military guns that we only see in pictures. At the gun & knife show in West Springfield at the BIG E fairgrounds there has been a pretty big collection of german mausers and another guy with french rifles has been there too on occasion. Again its awesome to look at these rifles being shown. I'm not sure if everyone enjoys it but we do. 11czy