Gunboards Forums banner

WTK Value of various Chinese 7.62x39 ammo

21K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  TuscoTodd 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up a bunch of Chinese 7.62X39 ammo in a trade and I don't have a use for it so for sale it will go. Looking for what the fair market price is. Please don't make me use Gunbroker to figure out a FAIR price.

ARMCO - made to military spec 351 over 88 head stamp,copper wash case, steel core
China Sports - green and white box, 351 over 93, SP, non corrosive, green (lacquer?) case
Norinco - brown (lacquer?) case, 71 over 93 head stamp, lead core non corrosive
Norince/China Sports - 31 over 93 head stamp, copper wash case, FMJ, lead core

I do have 2 AR's in 7.62X39 and 4K+ of Sako ammo so this is going.

Thanks, Ken

edit - all of the boxes say non corrosive for what ever that is worth. The ammo was made in 88 and 93 based on headstamps.

#3 ·
Captk,
If I was you I'd keep it as we'll never see that stuff again until they open up trade with China-(again?). The stuff you have is far much better than the Lapua you are holding. Read Poot's thread:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?191850-Some-objective-answers...

The yaw of the Norinco Chinese is equivalent if not better than the Russian. The Lapua is no where near those two. The cost of the Norinco stuff is up there too,IMO.
Fred

#9 ·
I have always found the Lapua ammo to be about the most accurate in the X39 cal.

In glancing through the article about wound ballistics, the following caught my eye!
Quote!
The specialized 7.62 x 54 mm 200 gr FMJ sniper ammo for the Dragunov SVD !
Quote!

All sources i ever read have always said the 200 gr. X54 ammo was not to be used in any Dragunov rifles, since as little as 20 rounds have been known to tear these guns up and they were designed to only use the 150 gr. ammo! LOL

Makes me wonder about the rest of the guys conclusions!

All Chinese ammo should be considered somewhat corrosive, since even if the ammo is not, the primer may be!

#4 ·
I only punch holes in paper and I have found both the Lapua and Sako ammo very accurate. I have also been out of work for a year. I got the ammo in a trade and just want to sell it at a fair market price and use the proceeds to fund the hobby.
Ken

#8 ·
The ammo I thought was steel core is not. i cur open a bullet and it is lead core. Seems like $.50 for copper wash and I'll start the lacquer at $.40 and see if there is any interest. I can't find much for sale and that I did find was listed at $1 per round, way over priced.
Thanks, Ken

#15 ·
The Chinese ammo has a mystique all it's own. Whenever I want to sell off any, lead or steel core, it always sells. The lead not for as much as the steel core mil spec stuff, but the idea of it not being available anymore is it's best selling point. On GunBroker I used to sell off some extra 550 round tins and always got 40 to 60c a round by the time auction was over.

#20 ·
Chinese (NORINCO) headstamp "31 over 93"

Guys, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I have several "spam" cans (720's, not the 550's...these cans are sorta' rare in themselves anymore, but it didn't come loaded on 10rd chargers as I was led to believe. Regardless, the ammo is still steel core and chargers aren't that expensive to make it have turned out to be a bad deal...) of the NORINCO 31 over 93 and recently disassembled a cartridge to check to see if it was indeed steel core or not. Turns out that 31 over 93 is indeed steel core, completely copper washed and there's no doubt about it, unless you have a case that is specifically labeled "lead core" ammo, it should be steel core. I don't know if it's non-corrosive, but with a mfg. date of 1993, it's possible it's non-corrosive, too. I always pull a bullet or two of a suspect lot, just to know what I have. Besides, the difference between the two types of rounds is quite pronounced. One has a flat bottom and is completely copper jacketed, the other, is slightly elongated and you can see the bottom of the steel core insert from the opening in the bottom of the round. It shines right through the surrounding copper.

Mk3StenMan
HomeWorld Enterprises
Ashburn, VA / 20147

#21 ·
I am pretty sure the stuff in the 720 cans is corrosive mil spec ammo too. It came wrapped in brown bag paper too that was folded not stapled. I still have one sealed case of that stuff. Gun show in early 2000's guy was selling off the stuff for 8-10c a round even in those days. The Wolf had flooded the market and in those days sold for that price too. I always liked the Chinese ammo better than the Wolf though. The ammo shot great through my SKS's and AK rifles.

#23 ·
Gents,

Interesting thread. I used to buy the NORINCO yellow box stuff at gunshows for $100 a crate back in the day. I would not place anymore value on it than the current lot of imports. I am glad you got the price you did for it. I'll keep that in mind the next time I come across some for sale. I suspect there are garages and basements packed full of that stuff. On a side note, I found the Chinese CJA 5.56mm NATO filthy, but pretty accurate fodder out of ARs. It too used to sell for about 10 cents a round. I don't see those prices coming back anytime soon.

Enjoy, Shannon

#24 ·
I have to say that I sorely miss the chinese ammo.I wouldn't pay the high prices it fetches to those who think its AP, BUT-it was way more accurate than the current Russian stuff! I wish it was available again & would pay slightly more for it than current russian(you never knew if chinese was actually corrosive or not just by the label, but who cares?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.