2520wcf Guest

Default Beretta Model 70 and 70S mfr. date ranges?

Anybody know when these two models were manufactured? I know the "70S" was after GCA '68 was passed, but don't know much more than that. I'm mainly interested in the 7.65mm/.32ACP models, in case they had separate ranges.

And do you know if the series began with both steel and aluminum-framed guns, or if the the aluminum frames started after the steel-framed ones?

Thanks for any info!

Mike Armstrong

First series with crossbolt safety started in 1958 and ended in about '68. Second series with lever safety started from then. There is a third variation starting in the mid 1970s, the change being to equip the pistol with a magazine safety as well. The 70S started around 1972-73, being the .380 and the .22. The .380s were only ever available with steel frames. The .32 and .22 could be had with either steel or alloy frame, although I can't tell you if one type of frame was made before the other. Whether or not there was a .32 ACP 70S is unclear. JB Wood's book has a picture with one labeled as such, but the actual markings are unclear. I haven't ever seen another example described as such.

Around 1980, Beretta sold the equipment to Iraq where the .32 continued in production as one of their Tariq pistols. I have seen some 71s with proof dates into the 1990s though.

Quick rundown of the models:
    70 - .32 ACP, fixed sights.
    70S - .22 LR, adjustable sights.
    70S - .380 ACP, fixed sights, two different frames depending on who imported them.
    70T - .32 ACP, adjustable sights, 6in barrel, long grip with 9 round mag.
    71 - .22 LR, fixed sights.
    72 - .22 LR, fixed sights, 3.5in and 6in barrels.
    73 - .22 LR, fixed sights both on barrel, 6in barrel, long grip with 10 round mag.
    74 - .22 LR, adjustable sights, 6in barrel, long grip with 10 round mag.
    74A - .32 ACP, adjustable sights, 6in barrel, long grip with 9 round mag.
    75 - .22 LR, adjustable sights, 6in barrel, short grip with 8 round mag.
    76 - .22 LR, target model, adjustable sights, 6in barrel, long grip with 10 round mag.

There are also 100 series pistols with minor changes to those listed above.

Hope this helps you a little.

2520wcf Guest

Biggus, that helps me a LOT! Thanks very much for all the info!

Mike Armstrong

Should probably add that in the US, it appears that the second series 70 is quite rare to find. Common in Europe though.

2520wcf Guest

I have a "70-something" coming, which has both the 6" and the shorter barrels, and came with two long magazines and a short one. It has the side safety like a 1935. Don't have the serial handy, but I'm pretty sure it is one of the later ones. Has an aluminum frame and adjustable rear sight. I didn't notice the importer's name or mark. Not sure if it is really a 70T or just a 70S that has had a "T" barrel and magazines added. (I'll know more in a week when it finishes its sentence in California "10-day gun jail" and is released into my custody.......)

Interesting. Your post raises a few questions for me:

Are you sure it's a .32? I've never seen a .32 with two different barrel lengths before. I assume the front sight is on the barrel? If yes, then the shorter barrel won't have a front sight unless one has been added. As far as I have found, Beretta never released a shorter .32 barrel with a sight on it.

Safety sounds a bit strange - no 70 series had that sort of safety arrangement. It was either the crossbolt or the 1911 type. It's possible you might be remembering the slide release, which is in a similar spot to the safety on the 1935 maybe? If it is definitely a .32 with a thumb safety and an alloy frame, then there is another possibility - it could be a Model 100.

If you find that you're keen on having a more conventional short barrel, fixed sight weapon for carrying, then there are a couple of things you can do. You can get a slide and barrel set from Numrich. Midway's site lists non-thumbrest short grips. These will have the short mags fit flush with the bottom of the grips, but still allow you to use the 9 round mags too.

The .32s are my favourite of the series. History says a lot about the Mossad use of the 71 .22 LR pistols, but the .32s also share some similar heritage in other organisations. Make sure you post pics when you bring it home!

2520wcf Guest

Biggus, I'm going to pick it up on Saturday, so then I can describe in detail. Haven't seen the short barrel, so no real idea what it is. The front sight on the 6" barrel IS on the barrel. You may be right about the safety; don't remember for sure. This gun was in excellent condition (I DID look at the bore on the 6" barrel!) and the 7.65/.32s are very uncommon out here at any price. So $275 for one with all those magazines and an SKB soft case, no matter what the second barrel turns out to be, seemed worth jumping on.

Thanks for the info on available parts. You probably won't get pix out of me (graphic illiterate) but will get a full description of what I have, plus a range report in a couple of weeks.

I too have heard of the 70 series in Israeli clandestine service: the classic "Room service, Mr. Black September! Pop, pop......" What I like about the 70s is that they don't bite my large hand, like a 1934/35 does, and, like the '34/35, never jam. Quite unusual in a small auto in my experience.

Looking forward to the range report!

2520wcf Guest

biggus, I finally got the pistol home and had a good look at it. It is a Model 100 imported by Garcia, not a 70S as advertised, and does have the long magazine and frame mounted safety. It has two spare mags, both long, and a 3 1/2" aprox. spare barrel which appears to be original to the gun. At least it has the same markings as the 6'" barrel and has the same staked-in "shark fin" front sight. Gun may have been fired but otherwise in near-new or new condition. Has adjustable sights (rather crude; not really target sights).

I'm looking forward to shooting it and wonder if the 6" barrel will shoot the same place as the shorty!

2520wcf Guest

Ran a magnet over the gun; it has an alloy frame as I'd guessed. It either doesn't have a magazine safety, or the safety has been disconnected.

Does anybody have a takedown manual or suggestions for a source for takedown instruction for this gun? I'm very familiar with the 1934-series and its descendants, but this gun takes down differently. It has a takedown lever on the right side of the frame marked "smontagio" that rotates slightly toward an "arrow" on the frame. But not being familiar with the takedown sequence, I'm reluctant to lean on it much. I'd like to take the 6" off and put the 3" barrel on, and vice versa for range testing.

Any help or pointers toward a source would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Armstrong aka 2520wcf

2520wcf Guest

More info on my Model 100: SN L72XXX; dated XX7, which I take to mean XXVII or 1984. (More info than you ever wanted?) Garcia import marking has D.C. address (were they ever located elsewhere; I "seem to remember" a Beretta O/U shotgun I once had that had a Virginia address....).

Try this to help with disassembly: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...beretta_70.pdf

XX7 is 1971. The 100 series wasn't in the catalog for a long time. I'd be surprised if they were sold past 1975. I'm not a fan of the adjustables. I much prefer the fixed sights. I hope you can arrange pics of the short barrel. I was completely unaware that they existed for the target .32s.

Now get that puppy to the range and let me know how she goes!

2520wcf Guest

Many thanks, Biggus; will do.

Quote Originally Posted by 2520wcf View Post
    More info on my Model 100: SN L72XXX; dated XX7, which I take to mean XXVII or 1984. (More info than you ever wanted?) Garcia import marking has D.C. address (were they ever located elsewhere; I "seem to remember" a Beretta O/U shotgun I once had that had a Virginia address....).

Hi MIke,
    I have a very similar P.B. Mod. 100 Beretta that I bought in 1972. Mine is S/N L18693 Date Code XXV (1969). Mine has been
    modified to look almost identical to the Mod 70, short (3.25") barrel and front site is on the slide rather than on the barrel.

Mick
    Tucson
    Last edited by bmwmick; 11-15-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Hi Mick,

Any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    Hi Mick,

Any pics?
    No current(digital) ones but I'll get busy........

Here are some pics showing the front sight modification. It makes for a nice carry weapon. The original was 6".

Mick
    Last edited by bmwmick; 11-15-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added pics

That looks great! Thanks for the pics.

Thanks Biggus,
    At the time (1980'ish) I had a local gunsmith do the work. He simply removed the front sight
    from the 6" barrel and moved it to the slide. It's still plenty accurate for a 3.25" barrel. It is rather
    underpowered compared to all the 9mm, 40, and 45 cal stuff today but it's still a nice little carry gun.

Mick

2520wcf Guest

Still haven't made it to the range, but tried the short barrel in the Model 100 and I believe it isn't a Model 100 barrel. LOOKS very much like the 6' barrel, but either it needs fitting or it is a Model 70 or other relative with some minor dimensional differences. When I assembled the gun with the short barrel, it refused to lock into place and the slide wouldn't lock solidly; looks unshootable like that. Needless to say, I didn't try.

I'll probably just stick with the 6" barrel, which fits fine, and sell or trade the short barrel once I figure out what it is. I have other carry guns. Although I DO like bmwmick's shorty--the extended grip makes a nice handfull!

Do you know if the short barrel is definitely a .32? It might be a modified normal 70 barrel. I don't know how much fitting the 100s required. As they were intended as a target gun, they were generally pretty tight.

2520wcf Guest

It's definitely a .32. Do you think a gunsmith familiar with Berettas would be able to fit this barrel without changing the gun, so that the 6" barrel would also fit? I'm tempted to try that, if it's feasible and I can find a gunsmith willing to do the work, and trustworthy. Harder to find than a few years ago.....some of these guys have been talking to too many lawyers and insurance agents. Some don't know what they're doing. Need one of the other kind.....

It's not going to hurt to speak to a smith or two about it. I say do it.

2520wcf Guest

I probably will, once I get the long barrel onto the range to see if the guns shoots at all....after Xmas, I fear!