Gunboards Forums banner

Remington mod. 700 controversy?

9K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  cousinkix1953 
#1 · (Edited)
CNBC aired this expose-type documentary yesterday about a number of lawsuits involving Remington Arms and the mod. 700 trigger mechanism. The show didn't strike me as your typical antigun, media hit-piece. It seems like there may be a problem.

There are company memos going all the way back to the development stage that mention a "theoretical" unsafe condition. The original designer actually proposed a solution but it wasn't implemented for decades. Police and military snipers have complained of problems. And most of all, it may have contributed to two dozen civilian deaths (along with lack of muzzle discipline and failure to adhere to the rules of safe gun handling).

At the heart of the decades-long controversy over the Remington 700 series is a piece of metal that is roughly the length of a paper clip.

It is called a “trigger connector,” and it is an integral part of the firing mechanism patented by Remington engineer Merle “Mike” Walker in 1950. The so-called “Walker trigger” was a breakthrough in firearm design, allowing the smooth, crisp action favored by expert shooters at an affordable price.

The connector is mounted on a spring inside the firing mechanism, sitting between the trigger and the sear—the metal bar that holds back the firing pin. According to Walker’s patent, the connector not only smoothes the action of the trigger, but also eliminates “trigger slap,” where the trigger bounces back slightly after the gun is fired.

To this day, Walker calls his invention “a perfect trigger.” But multiple lawsuits against Remington allege the design is flawed. They claim small amounts of rust, debris, or even a small jolt can push the connector out of alignment, separating the trigger itself from the rest of the firing mechanism. Then, the complaints allege, the gun can go off when other parts are operated, such as the safety or the bolt.
Full article describing the mod. 700 trigger design and accusations of safety issues:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39743024?__source=usatoday&par=usatoday

What do the snipers and sniper aficionados think? If you watch the video at the above link, you can see law enforcement snipers demonstrating how the rifle can be made to fire without touching the trigger. I think everyone can agree that isn't a good thing.

See less See more
#40 ·
you will never agree with each other but remington has a responce www.remington700.tv . with the almost 500+ triggers i had to deal with some are ppl moveing the trigger set screws for a lighter trigger. with about 85% mostly due to poor maintance. ppl do NOT know how to clean there gun. WD40 is not a cleaner it Gel's up. Hoppies gels up its a BORE cleaner not a trigger cleaner. rust, pine needles, dirt, and 300 lbs of anti seez. if this blocks the sear from comming up due to be stuck from poor maintance it will fire. there is a bolt lock program. the rifle in question was the rifle that started this program in the 70's. not being able to open the bolt with the safety on was the only fix they did to the triggers. now you can have the safe on and open and empty your rifle. this program also confuses many ppl, the x-mark pro trigger has nothing to do with this law suite its a bit of a different design. that the facts take what you will from it.

later
vaughn

#41 ·
I have a 700BDL that I bought new around 1980 or so. It has always functioned just fine. One exception. I pulled the rifle out of the safe two months ago to shoot after sitting for 15 years or so. The trigger would not release. When I took the rifle out of the stock, I found out that the oil had gone sticky and would not allow the trigger to function. Breakfree and a little manipulation cured the problem. As long as bubba is let near a gun with a tool, problems such as these discharges are bound to happen. Too many people think cops or the military are supreme experts with guns, well, they are WRONG. I was a cop and am a veteran and I know different.....chris3

#42 · (Edited)
I've owned a few myself over the years but have never any issues. As to military 700s, I repair them daily (about 6+ come in a day). The only issues besides getting the snot beat out of them due to combat ops is adjustments not IAW operator manuals, heavy wear and tear and large amounts of dirt-dust-sand etc etc. I've been following this story but have yet to see it myself. The CNBC news story is interesting and so is Remington's response.

#44 ·
I bought a used 700 several years ago in .06. The price was a real steal or so I thought. Slapped a scope on it and was off to the range the same day. My father riding with me and holding my new prize. He began working the action and the safety. We quickly discovered someone had tried to adjust the trigger and had messed up. With the gun cocked if you moved the safety to the fire positon it dry fired. The more he tried it the more frequently it dry fired by moving the safety into the fire position. Turned around went home removed the trigger. It was beyond what I could do to correct it and not lose my patience. Sent the trigger off to a good smith and I was in busy in several weeks. Never did it again. Mo

#47 ·
Well, suffice it to say I'm a Winchester man, and the only Remingtons I own are A WWI British P14, 2 US Model 1917s (one with the original RA 3-18 barrel and the other with a WWII JA replacement barrel) and a WWII US Model 1903-A3, but I know of a lot of happy Rem. 700 owners who have never had a problem, and I, too, would like to know how much they were used...as I have a Mossberg 500 12ga I put about 10k+ rounds ayear through that I had to replace the trigger group on earlier this year after it failed my safety check five times by dropping the hammer when the safety was disengaged...which I attributed to wear after about 250k rounds through that weapon...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.