Default What type of powder is used in GI blanks?

Hi All,
    Does anybody know what type of powder is used in G.I. 7.62 mm blanks?
    I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with several hundred rounds of the stuff and realized I could salvage the powder.
    It's all LC stuff from the 90's.
    Anybody got any ideas?
    "It's not that we're better than everybody else, it's just that everybody else sucks."

What type of powder is used in GI blanks?

Why, it's gun powder, silly!
    Geal ‘us dearg a suas!

Member since Gunboards v1.0

Not sure, but "someone" once told me it was black powder/pyrodex. Based on how dirty it is, wouldn't surprise me

If these are blank blanks, and not grenade launching blanks.. they use EC Blank Powder. IT is not safe or suitable to use EC Blank powder in any ammunition with a bullet of any kind. EC Blank Powder is way to fast and if confined it will explode with enough force to destroy the gun and kill or injure the shooter and anybody near by. There is no way to use so little EC powder that it might be safe.. just don't even try unless you have a death wish.

The only other suitable use for EC Blank Powder is for filling Grenades. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._hand_grenades

Plese note the following information from the link about grenades:

The filling is either TNT (approx. 2 oz/57 g), or EC blank fire powder (approx. 0.75 oz/21 g smokeless small arms powder).[1][2]

EC Blank Powder as packed into handgrenades is just a little less than 3 times as powerfull as TNT by weight.
    "people who count on luck don't last long in the business of defusing bombs and disarming land mines." Hunter Thompson

Great info, thanks!
    Guess I'll have to spend money and buy my powder!
    "It's not that we're better than everybody else, it's just that everybody else sucks."

Yea, what AmmoSgt. said.

I have a belt of 762 NATO blanks. I use a few after my BAR's once-every-few-years COMPLETE teardown for full-cleaning for "action-proving" that everything went back together properly.

Browning sporting BAR, .308 Win, not US GI BAR in '06.

Modern 7,62 Blank powder is a Winchester(Olin) double base powder ( look it up in the Milspec in "Cartridges of the World, " latest edition.) There are also other Alliant (ATK) types of powders used as well.

"EC Blankfire" was replaced in WW II with WC Blankfire, an early doublebase "Ball" Powder ( finer that WST, and a lot faster)

Blank powder is not suitable for any other use except blanks, and even then must be loaded with care. And definitely NOT for either Ball or Launching use.( will blow a gun up).

As to using it to test an action, without a BFA ( Blank firing adaptor, ) no true "Functioning" of a gas op. rifle ( like the commercial BAR sporter) can occur.

All it shows is that the firing pin and hammer work, nothing else. A primed case could suit just as well...

Swap it or sell it to a Re-enactor or other legitimate Blank user ( Veterans Funeral Parties). The cases are no use for any other than Blanks as well ( different brass from Ball cases, softer, and thicker, for the M82 Blank

Regards,
    Doc AV
    AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services
    Brisbane Australia

Quote Originally Posted by DocAV View Post
    Modern 7,62 Blank powder is a Winchester(Olin) double base powder ( look it up in the Milspec in "Cartridges of the World, " latest edition.) There are also other Alliant (ATK) types of powders used as well.

"EC Blankfire" was replaced in WW II with WC Blankfire, an early doublebase "Ball" Powder ( finer that WST, and a lot faster)

Blank powder is not suitable for any other use except blanks, and even then must be loaded with care. And definitely NOT for either Ball or Launching use.( will blow a gun up).

As to using it to test an action, without a BFA ( Blank firing adaptor, ) no true "Functioning" of a gas op. rifle ( like the commercial BAR sporter) can occur.

All it shows is that the firing pin and hammer work, nothing else. A primed case could suit just as well...

Swap it or sell it to a Re-enactor or other legitimate Blank user ( Veterans Funeral Parties). The cases are no use for any other than Blanks as well ( different brass from Ball cases, softer, and thicker, for the M82 Blank

Regards,
    Doc AV
    AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services
    Brisbane Australia
    True, but then, that is my purpose, and, without it, I'd have NO use for them. LOL
    And I'd use up my good primers.

Bought @ a gun show a couple decades ago just for giggles. 100 rnd liked belt is now down to 90 or so, sure won't need another.