Gunboards Forums banner

Sporterize??? mauser #3. The best one.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  rcmauser 
#1 ·
This one is my favorite. I really want to make this one into something special. It's ALL matching, guard screw are intact. No rust or pitting, very little wear on metal parts. The rifle came with a nice walnut sporter stock which has moved on to a better world. The action is really slick and the machining is perfect, (especailly compared to the other two that I posted). I think that I paid around $150 + tax for this one.

I came really close to chucking this one in the lathe, but I resisted. Thought I would post it here first. If it's worth less than, say $300.00, then I will probably use it for a custom project. I want to build a DGR and this action is NICE. It was made in 1938. I was ready to start the project but it looked too nice to alter, that's why I purchased the other two mausers that I posted earlier, but I don't know if they'd ever be this nice.

So if someone can place a value on this it would help me out. The action that I really want is a VZ24 with the rampant lion crest.

Here's the SAKO that I built, I want to do a Mauser in similar fashion.

See less See more
#4 ·
Navybluejacket,

Thanks for showing your pictures. Want to say...It is your rifle, do with it as you please. That said. Those are some very restorable and desirable actions you have. Of course the wood and stock bands are gone and the rifles will never be worth an original complete rifle. At least you are not taking complete k98's to the saw and lathe.

Attached are before and after pictues of a restore I did on a sporterized 1942 CE. The stock was too butchered to save. I found a nice matching dot solid wood stock to rest it in. These type of actions can be returned to military configuration...

I have another sporterized bcd 43 all matching action with turned barrel to remove the steps and a marble rear sight and bright shiny bore. It is too far sporterized to restore. If you are interested in a trade for the 243 1938 action, click on my id and send me an email or PM. The bcd 43 has some freckling on the finish from closet rust. However, it you are gona buff and grind, this might be just what you need....

Attachments

#6 ·
Not even close.
You will have mismatched parts...original matching numbers and original finish/condition drive prices up in the 98k collecting community.
You have something less than that but more than a collection of completely mismatched yet functional parts. If you only want to do a project you can use any collection of large ring, large thread mauser parts. What part of the country are you in? I am sure that within 50 miles of you there is somebody on the forums that would trade your collectible parts for functional ones and maybe give you a bit of cash to fund the conversion. ...there might also be trade fodder that has already been modified so that you would not have to do as much work/spend as much money.

#7 · (Edited)
Navy-

that is a really nice and restorable piece. IMO it is worth more than $300. But why butcher something still matching and with collector and historical value? Theres plenty of totally mismatched yet nice conditioned barreled actions out there. Heres your options as I see them:

1. sporterize this, have it be worth nothing, kill collector value (resale)
2. sell what you have now and make a nice profit, buy a totally mismatched piece cheap, sporterize that, and still have $$ left over. Win-Win

#8 · (Edited)
by the way on the link you posted..... whoever is selling that rifle is on crack. very few k98s are worth $2800. that one is a run of the mill russian capture worth about $300. Your rifle as it originally was with all matching pieces would be worth over $1000. If you got a correct stock for it (which would still have mismatched numbers) your gun would be worth $500-$600. As it sits now id say its worth $300-$325.

#9 ·
Thanks for all of the information (and PM's) on my barrelled actions. The reason that I posted them here was to help me decide whether or not to use these actions for projects or to sell them to a collector that may have a desire to restore them. I am actually amazed at the number of people that have posted
I've had a lot of offers to trade for various receivers and actions since posting last night. I am not really interested in trading, unless it's for the VZ24 with the rampant lion crest or a Danzig gew98 (complete actions) or a commercial Mauser action (fn). and pm'd me asking not to chop. I figured (and hoped) that it would be a concensus that my barrelled actions (mostly mismatched) would be worthless to a collector. But that's why I posted them here, to find out if chopping them is the right thing to do, or not.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but Mauser's #1 and #2 should sell for around $200'ish each on GB. Mauser #3 should sell for $300'ish on GB. If that's a good appraisal please let me know. I will probably sell mausers #1&2, I'm still undecided on #3.

#11 ·
In my opinion #1 and #2 $125-170; #3 $175-$230 if sold out right.

On a gun auction site maybe more and it might take a while to get the price you want....

Thanks again for the pictures...

Good Luck with the sale and the quest for your project mauser... You might want to consider using a Yugo M48 or a Yugo k98 rework action. The ones I have are smooth actions... And you might get one a decent price...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.